PDA

View Full Version : opaque projector arrived (hehehehehe)

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-07-2004, 12:28 AM
HAHAHA! My opaque projector arrived today and tonight I fired it up and projected a B&W of my grand dad (or is that one word: granddad?) onto some posterboard and traced the outlines with a pencil. I taped the poster board to my wall with masking tape and put the proj on 3 cardboard boxes for the proper height. No, don't worry. I have no little kids to topple it. I was tracing right along and got almost done and then I looked back at the stuff i did first and it wasn't aligned anymore! :eek: :mad: ARG!!!!!!!

The boxes had settled and the proj had lowered by like half an inch so i just flipped the paper over and started again. HAH!

I traced it and it quit settling and what's weird is that the line drawing (no shading at all and no indicator of the bridge of the nose etc) doesn't look exactly like him. But it's an illusion caused by the fact that the brain thinks the distance to the end of the nose is longer since it now thinks the end of the nose is the BOTTOM of the nose and not the tip. Once I add shading, color, etc. I'll bet it'll look just like him.

Now, if I could just get my Com Art colors in the mail I can try out the 7 value system of portrait painting!

Tim

Caterwallin'
01-07-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm glad that your excited about this Tim! I'm guessing that it's not an overhead (with a stand) or did you just take it off of the stand in order to project a large image?

In any case, I hope the ComArt's arrive soon so you can get started!

Take care
Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-07-2004, 10:27 PM
I got the ArtoGraph Prism (about $150). Right after I bought it, I read in Airbrush: The Complete Studio Handbook by Radu Vero how you can make your own! :mad:

So, I had no stand and used cardboard boxes instead. I think my first attempt at this will be to use B&W and not color. I think I will take Com Art black and the Badger white and create the gray tones so that i can get smoother tones. I think using black only will not give me good control for the lighter grays. I could accidentally go too dark and for wide areas, some graininess might occur.

So, I will prob try to shade the old grand dad this weekend using B&W and post the results here when I'm done. I hope it looks just like a photo. I don't plan to do 100% photorealism all of the time (not that I can at all! heheheh) but I want to strive for it now and apply the knowledge in more artsy ways in the future when I'm more adept at creating my own content and composition.

Tim

BruceF
01-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Something to keep in mind, whenever I've used a projector I usually let the image sit there a few minutes with the lamp on so it can warm up and adjust to the temperature. I've noticed the image shifts a bit as it gets warmer.

Penny220
01-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Bruce makes a great point. I've actually heard them move around. The flip side is don't let it stay to long under the light either. Also, since I get the impression this is an old and valued photo, you might be better off using a copy instead of the original just to be on the safe side. I'd hate to see you get too involved and need "just a minute more" while the picture starts to bubble up from the heat.

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks. I was already aware that the proj puts out some heat and yes, I did NOT use the original! :) I made a printout from my PC and used it. I did notice that the quality of the projection wasn't all that great. The middle was considerably brighter than the edges and it just didn't seem that clear. But I guess it will do just to get some basic composition recorded. I can also play with the contrast/brightness on my PC to optimize it for projection.

After seeing the thing, I'd say $150 is about $100 too much. Should have built one. $150 for.... a box with 2 light bulbs and one lens? sheesh. can we say "Let's cheat the gullible artists!"?

But... I'll keep it. sigh.... I have few expenses anyway.

Thanks again for the warm up tip.

Tim