PDA

View Full Version : Fused and Slumped piece

CD Lampwork
01-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Well, I don't know where the fused and slumped show and tell is, and I like to thread hog anyway. So here's our latest. It's spectrum 96. We're really getting into this glass. It cuts so nice, doesn't need overglaze, and has such a nice long working range. Can't wait to try to lampwork some of it.

Greg

BrendaJ
01-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Greg, I love it!!!!! You must do more!!! :clap:

travelin'gal
01-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks Brenda!

I must let everyone know...this was my idea...then Greg poopoo'd it...now he is taking credit for it! JUST LIKE A MAN! :)

Deanna

BrendaJ
01-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Deanna, you need to step up to the plate and claim your just rewards for the idea.

As for Gregg, I'll just have to put him over my knee and spank him for taking all the credit!!!!!!! :evil:

But then you two work well together!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

fun5oh
01-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Hi Greg and Deanna!
UPS just droped off my floral former today! Is that what you used in this slump? I know you 2 have the same kiln as I do, so I am wondering how tall this piece is? I got a 4.5 inch former and wasn't sure how big to cut the glass, so I kinda guessed and cut a freeform out of some waterglass, it's in the kiln now! So how do ya know how much glass to use? And did you kiln wash your mold? I just threw some thin fire on it to see what happens. I'm to impatient when new stuff arrives! :D

Robin :)

fun5oh
01-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi Greg and Deanna!
UPS just droped off my floral former today! Is that what you used in this slump? I know you 2 have the same kiln as I do, so I am wondering how tall this piece is? I got a 4.5 inch former and wasn't sure how big to cut the glass, so I kinda guessed and cut a freeform out of some waterglass, it's in the kiln now! So how do ya know how much glass to use? And did you kiln wash your mold? I just threw some thin fire on it to see what happens. I'm to impatient when new stuff arrives! :D

Don't know why I typed in waterglass, and I cannot figure out how to edit anymore............
Anyhow, I am slumping the old wasser glue chip

travelin'gal
01-09-2004, 10:17 AM
HI Robin,
Yes we did use a 4.5 floral form. We put the kiln shelf on the bottom of the kiln and used small pieces of brick to raise the form, (not sure why, Greg said we should...something about air flow). Our piece was an octegon shape about 9inches diameter I think. We just did a little math, to see what size glass to us. 4.5 plus 4.5 plus 2 inches is 11 inches diameter. Leaving a little room so it doesn't hit the floor, we decided it can't be bigger than 10 inches. We did kiln wash the form. Had to heat it up in the kin to get the wash to stick. I'm interested in hearing how the thin fire worked for you. The first piece we tried we broke because we ramped the kiln to fast and it was so close to the eliments. Oh well, that why we try scrape glass first right! :D

Good luck,
Deanna

fun5oh
01-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Morning Deanna,
Well my first attempt broke too! I ramped at 500 dph, I am guessing that was to fast? What did you guys use? Or it could have broke because I peeked a couple times? This is what it looked like this morning. I didn't care for the thin fire, it clouded the glass to much and also if you look at the base (top of pic) it kinda burned it or something, the glass did come off the mold though with no problems............. So I will try again today with kiln wash :)

crsann
01-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi there, just like to throw in my 2 cents here. First of all with a draping mold you just need to measure the diameter of the mold or just the bottom and add in like gregg and deanna did. When using stainless molds it is best to heat them to at least 400 and spray on the kiln wash. you don't need to buy a spray gun if you don't have one just go to this site and get a little spary atomizor and away you go. I wouldn't use thin fire paper cause if it rips the glass will stick to the mold. hope this helps. Greg and Deanna that piece is really nice.
chrisann

crsann
01-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Duh it helps if I give you the link on where to get that atomizer huh? LOL
http://www.fusionheadquarters.com/Pages/KilnsAndSupplies.html#Anchor-Quic-53147
chrisann

midniteburner
01-09-2004, 01:33 PM
The floral former is a great mold!!! Just remember that the larger the glass is cut, the less you are able to slump it down before it hits the shelf.

As for shelf paper, leave it on the shelf. LOL!!! Sometimes it works great, most of the time NOT!!!! :(

This is my favorite vase that was made on the larger floral former. I think the glass is Armstrong.

Greg and Deanna: That's a great piece!!!

Sara

NYCindy
01-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Deanna and Greg: Beautiful piece! Color is very nice!

Sara: Love that orange! Very lovely piece!

Keep the fused and slumped pictures coming! :-)

toozygoot
01-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Greg - beautiful! I love pieces like that and the light that comes through! The banding is a nice design element too! MOre please!

Sara - Loving the color of yours!

Robin - sorry that yours broke. Good luck with the next one!

Yes! Please post more of these!

pat

Blooming Artist
01-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Robin,

Yep, I would slow the ramp up down and as far as peeking in the kiln goes...no peeking until the glass temp is above 1000 degrees and then only briefly to avoid a temp drop and thermal shock/glass breaking. Good luck with the next one!

pam <><

Gabriel_Pitbull
01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
I just got a kiln for Christmas and a floral former. I have figured out my bead annealing (with the help of ther WCers), but I am not sure about slumping yet. I have some books I have been reading through....so much info... Anyway can anyone give me an example of the heating schedule you use to slump over the floral former?

Thanks,
Jen

Moth
01-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Well this isn't mine, but I figured nobody would mind a little more eye candy!

Sara midniteburner sent me this for Christmas and I haven't shown it off enough yet. :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2005/24464-ssvasesarah.jpg

Isn't it gorgeous?

Thanks again Sara!!!

~~Mary

beadinpath
01-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Spectrum System 96... a Florida Palm Tree.

lpi
02-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Here's one that I made very colorful......

http://community.webshots.com/user/fused101

NYCindy
02-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Here's one that I made very colorful......

http://community.webshots.com/user/fused101 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LOVE IT! Spectrum? or what glass did you use?

I've got a new top loading kiln especially for fusing - it's gonna be warm enough for me to try it out this weekend! Can't wait!

Cindy

lpi
02-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks.... I used all Bullseye glass. Heres the lamp that I made to go with it....

http://community.webshots.com/user/fused101

travelin'gal
02-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey there,
Such beauuuutiful pieces! I love that florida palm tree. Did you use frit for the tree?

Here is another one of our bowls
Deanna

beadinpath
02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
No frit for the palm tree...just cut pieces of glass. Glad you liked it. Here's another one....