PDA

View Full Version : ebay's newest artist...and she's only 9!

jolie
01-06-2004, 03:52 PM
hi everyone,

i just wanted to introduce you to hannah, a friend's daughter. she will be 9 next month and has always loved art. she and i paint often together and she has taken direction very well. she quite often will try to mimic effects i have done in my own work and i have given her as many tips as i can. i think she is getting to a stage where she is learning to balance the care-free nature of a child's painting with the restraint necessary to become a good artist as an adult. she is starting to recognize when enough is enough on a piece and to save some of her great ideas for the next masterpiece.

she has asked a lot of questions about my recent success on ebay and wants to try it herself. i say bravo! i think it will be a fantastic learning experience, whether she sells the piece or not, but it's a great painting and i think someone will want it.

i have gotten permission from her mother to show her picture, will not give out her last name, and intend to have all contacts come to my email address...her mother teased that i am her business manager and i teased back, "yeah, wait until she sees what percentage i charge!" LOL i am wondering if you all have any other tips on this very special case. i am most concerned about her safety and privacy first, and then a marketing plan second.

by the way, i varnished the (acrylic) painting with spray dammar varnish for her. her mom put it in her room, not realizing it wasn't dry and it got dust and fluff on it. i have removed the varnish with low odor thinners, which seemed to work pretty well. it felt smooth, but got sticky again after a little while. does this mean there is still some varnish left on it? also, i'd like to re-varnish with a quicker drying type to avoid the same incident. can i switch types and how long do i need to wait before varnishing?

i'd like to list it on thursday, as it's free listing day. it's a 12x12 inch gallery wrapped canvas. any suggestions on starting price? i think i'll do a BIN too. any suggestions there?

and for those of you patient enough to wade through all my babble, here is a picture of hannah, our budding artist. i'm very proud of her!

TeAnne
01-06-2004, 05:20 PM
:( The pic wont open up :(

jolie
01-06-2004, 05:36 PM
it opens just fine for me when i click on the thumbnail. i'll repost it anyway, in case that helps. i meant to mention in my original post that i feel hannah is coming into her own as an artist. while she still tries to imitate what i do as a learning process, this painting is all her own style. she started by texturing her painting with gesso, covered it with black acrylic, then used several glazes of a few different reds to achieve the depth and luminosity.

jolie

gails_galleryUK
01-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Sorry to tell you this, but my daughter has some of her work listed on eBay this week ... and she's not 9 till 20th January <grin>

Gail

jolie
01-06-2004, 06:44 PM
lol...hannah will be stricken!...just kidding, of course. it's actually great to hear that other young artists are so into their art. has your daughter listed before, or is this her first time? any tips on making this a good experience for hannah? how do you handle the listings? are they under the same id that you sell your art under, or have you created a special one just for her? could you post a link to the auction, please?

jolie

gails_galleryUK
01-06-2004, 06:50 PM
She listed before ... two or three and sold all of them :-))
Heres her current bunch;

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=offthewallartstudio&sort=2&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

I have some more of her stuff (framed and unframed) that I simply cannot bear to let go so I'm keeping those. She's just set up her first 'proper' bank account so if she sells any the money will be saved :-)

Gail

Thaneeyabean
01-07-2004, 12:22 AM
I wish Ebay had existed when I was a kid... selling artwork would have been a blast! (Well, it still is :p ) I think it's a really great opportunity for kids to experiment with creating artwork and selling it!

TeAnne
01-07-2004, 09:57 AM
it opens just fine for me when i click on the thumbnail. i'll repost it anyway, in case that helps. i meant to mention in my original post that i feel hannah is coming into her own as an artist. while she still tries to imitate what i do as a learning process, this painting is all her own style. she started by texturing her painting with gesso, covered it with black acrylic, then used several glazes of a few different reds to achieve the depth and luminosity.

jolie
Last night, nothing much was opening due to all the slowness. I see it now :D I love it. Tell her congrats :D :clap: :clap: