PDA

View Full Version : oil pastel & screwdriver

guilliame
01-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Well if you are wondering about the title,thats what i used :D couldn't find my palette knife so i cut pieces off of my oil pastel stick and then experimented with the small flat side of the screwdriver,oh oh where is the uploader,new format :confused:

Mo.
01-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Wow!! Guilli an impasto oil pastel, that's a first for me, how much oil pastel did you use? The effects are glowing, Well done to you, I like it!.

Mo.:)

SweetBabyJ
01-06-2004, 04:01 PM
:D ...and I get yelled at for using a butter knife as a screwdriver- just wait'll hubby finds out what I can do with a REAL screwdriver now!! Nifty experiment, Guilliame- a nice "painterly" look.

Kathryn Wilson
01-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Well if you are wondering about the title,thats what i used :D couldn't find my palette knife so i cut pieces off of my oil pastel stick and then experimented with the small flat side of the screwdriver,oh oh where is the uploader,new format :confused:

Now that takes talent! OP's with a screwdriver. Actually :rolleyes: I thought Guilli was having a little alcohol entertainment whilst painting :evil: .

Seriously tho', what an accomplishment - fresh, loose and wonderful color!

Dyin
01-06-2004, 05:28 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Awesome! Really, thought OPs would be cool for impasto...but pricey!! It's so fresh and you do faces pretty good now (hey, where's that dancer....snork!!!!!!!!!!! :p }

Now that takes talent! OP's with a screwdriver. Actually :rolleyes: I thought Guilli was having a little alcohol entertainment whilst painting :evil: .

Seriously tho', what an accomplishment - fresh, loose and wonderful color!

guilliame
01-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Mo,SweetBabyJ,Kyle and Dying,thank you all for viewing and your comments and claps,i must say i'm encouraged i might try another :D
I'm quite partial to vodka and orange but wouldn't dream of trying any as a medium,and i think i would be in trouble if i used a butter knife for pastels lol.
It all started when i tried to put a clean edge on my cheapy W.H.Smiths oil pastels which are round and stubby,so it wasn't that pricey but even so i thought it would be a shame to waste the slivers of pastel i was cutting off and i thought hey up impasto,i used the screwdriver coz it seemed the easiest thing to do,afterwards i found my palette knife but the blade was so thin ok for oil paint i think i would have broken it had i used it,this was one of my practice faces so i'm getting used to this one and i have binned more than iv'e kept :D .

bnoonan
01-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Guilli,
It's the title that brought me here... Oh and your name of course.

Interesting technique. Don't think I'll be attempting it with my soft pastels anytime soon but I'll keep you posted if I do.

Your portraits are improving in leaps and bounds. I love the strong lights and darks in this piece. Unfortunately I've just noticed that I can't view it again on my reply which is a tad frustrating but perhaps I need to investigate it more.

There was something about the nose that bothers me... I'll be back to advise properly. Drink up! - oh excuse me... Cheers mate!

Barb

bnoonan
01-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Alas - it's a minor thing. I think the highlight on the tip of her nose could be a bit smaller is all. Perhaps you can use an ice pick on that part.

You did wonderfully in shaping the shadows and creating volume on the earring. Will you go further and add more details in the eyes at all?

Barb :clap: