PDA

View Full Version : Econ River Weir

brendahofreiter
08-02-2001, 11:22 PM
Thought I'd post this and see what kind of response it got. I have a thing for bridges!

billyg
08-02-2001, 11:36 PM
Hi Brenda,
There you are LOL. Like it, but the bottom right hand piece of the reflection is a bit confusing, it looks as if there is a tunnel going to the right. Maybe if the weed/grasses were not there and th reflection was more dominant. Hope you understand what Im on about.
Billyg :D:D:D:D
ps Ive got another little bridge I want to do.

LarrySeiler
08-03-2001, 12:38 AM
I like your color palette Brenda.....and that you lean toward darker darks than most here. It allows for more to happen with your color, and your lights. You have a nice convincing 3D feeling to everything. Objects are solid. Believable. A good sense of drama.

I guess I'm not as excited about the sky...the clouds looked stamped...like decals put on. Too ordered. That make sense?

and...I like to see the sky definitely more lighter by the horizon unless its storm clouds.

Something I've observed is that when the sun is high, the reflections will be lighter in value than the object reflected. When the sun is low...reflections will be darker than the object.

Water's reflection of sky color is usually darker unless high sunlight is washing it out.

Larry

Javier
08-03-2001, 01:31 AM
Brendahofreiter, you have a very nice painting here with, "Econ River Weir".

I agree with what is said above. In addiction I think the painting is strong enough to get rid of the fisherman, unless he is your focal center, if that is the case move him a little more toward the center (about 1/3 off center).

The Best,

blondheim12
08-03-2001, 08:00 AM
Lovely Brenda!!!!
It has a nice architectural feel. For those of us in Florida, it is a very good look at a typical day. I disagree that the figure should be removed.
You are a splendid painter.
Linda

wendee
08-03-2001, 08:50 AM
I also like this brenda...love the colours you used also :D

brendahofreiter
08-03-2001, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I typically just paint what is there, as best as I can. The darks are darker in the scan than in the original and do not show the subtelties of color, but I do use more darks than most. I agree with you Larry about the clouds, I could have given more character to the individual clouds so that they wouldn't look so much the same. I love the clouds here in the summer! They get quite dramatic!

Brenda

fink
08-03-2001, 09:32 AM
Great Job!!!! It is wonderful.

YLCIA
08-03-2001, 09:41 AM
Brenda, I like it very much.!:)

Julia

LarrySeiler
08-03-2001, 11:36 AM
wow....I was just thinking about what you wrote Brenda, and it struck me. Plein air painting. Clouds. Florida. <b>Summer</b>.

ummm....wow, you must have a decent umbrella type thing attached to your easel, and wear a large hat for protection, huh? I'd be curious to hear what you do to protect yourself...and to see and judge your canvas decently.

Larry

Leaflin
08-03-2001, 02:43 PM
Lovely job Brenda :)
Great reflections.

brendahofreiter
08-03-2001, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the comments! In answer to your question Larry, I've been painting outdoors for a little over two years. Last summer, I survived by finding shaded spots near lakes. If there is a breeze and shade, you can lower the ambient air temperature by almost 10 degrees...still hot, but bearable, sometimes even pleasant. I paint from about 9:30 till noon cause afternoons are a lot hotter and prone to rain. I had bought one of those umbrellas that you clamp on to your french easel, but I found that that it only shaded the painting if you were lucky and if there wasn't a good breeze to blow your easel over. During the winter, I tried to paint all the scenes that I couldn't during the summer.

This year, I've wanted to have more flexability in where and what I painted, so I've invested in a beach umbrella so that I can paint wherever I want. It shades the painting, my pallet and me. It is blue shadecloth and I guess it probably does effect the color that I see on the painting, but I don't mind and I have adjusted. I also had to learn to paint sitting down which was hard, but I had heel spurs anyway and standing for hours at a time was uncomfortable, so I adjusted to that too.

Brenda

animal
08-07-2001, 12:40 PM
This is Awesome! I especially like the detail of the water, the sky and the bridge. I also like the colours you have used.:clap:

jweir
08-08-2001, 12:40 PM
brendahofreiter,

Awesome! ... I think is very cool.. I love cool water... hehehehe:D

and I think I like the name tooo..... :D :clap: ;)

Jim Weir

brendahofreiter
08-08-2001, 08:54 PM
Thanks Animal, I'm glad you liked it!:)

Thanks Jim:D I guess you DO like the title! LOL.

Brenda