PDA

View Full Version : Mailing Lists

breslinc
01-03-2004, 07:57 PM
When you have new piece for sale and you dump it on your website or eBay or both, do you email out to all your previous customers that you have something new? I think its illegal to spam liske that on eBay but not your web site. Maybe just your previous customers?

Looking to build a database of customers and let them know somehow that I have more pieces for sale.

Suggestions???

Thanks for any assistance.

ElizaLeahy
01-03-2004, 08:02 PM
When I send an email telling my customers that their painting has been posted I ask them if they would like to join my mailing list. I point out that it's only for notices, and is no more then one email a week.

Most say yes.

Then, every week or so I send an update on what I have on ebay for sale.

Sometimes people leave after awhile.

jocelynsart
01-03-2004, 08:58 PM
I personally have chosen not to keep a mailing list. If a representative of my work were to do that as part of their marketing, I would be fine with that. As a self rep artist, I don't like soliciting. I would not do it at the bank I worked for either, solicit clients for products. However, it probably is a downfall for me. I have had people ask me to let them know if I have new work up but I usually suggest they bookmark me or check off and on.
I think it is a matter of personal comfort zones and choice.
Jocelyn:cat:

Sumafra
01-03-2004, 11:20 PM
I understand what you're saying Jocelyn and I too shy away from a lot of emails to my customers. I do however keep all their addresses and will do an email announcement maybe once a year, two at the most. I also feel that I don't want to 'bother' people, but at the same time I know that keeping yourself 'in front' of your collectors is the only way to be remembered and to present new work. There is a fine line between too much and not enough. I like the idea of the 'opt-in' mailing list, that way you know that those people on the list want to be there. It's the best way really.

arteitaliana
01-04-2004, 02:12 AM
I do the same.
I send an email to people who have bought previously, about two times a year. Usually when I start relisting after a vacation or after holidays.
Interested people will ( and do ) bookmark my store page or sellers list.

R

timelady
01-04-2004, 05:46 AM
Having a mailing list of customers is important. I have a list of email and addresses and send announcements maybe 3 times a year. I usually find I have a busy season and batch the invitations to my list (March-April and Oct-Nov are my two big mailings). Of course, the list is all people who volunteered to sign up at fairs or have bought work (online or in real life). It's slow work but your list does get longer with time. :) Rather than just saying there's a new work up or whatever I try and organise my web pages so it's a clear new 'set' of work, plus a clear page showing all my events for that month or season.

I used to send xmas cards to all my offline buyers too, but forgot this year! :)

Tina.

M.A.
01-04-2004, 08:13 AM
I think email lists to previous clients who are interested in receiving your updates are a great idea.

In Canada, as of January 1, 2004 there is new privacy laws that people who send these lists out need to keep in mind. In other words, you need to basically a) ask permission to add a person to a list, and, b) tell people on the list how you intend to use their personal information etc. ... it may be a bit of a hassle but I think it is good for everyone.

blondheim12
01-04-2004, 10:30 AM
I have several different client mail lists. For my ebay list, I send a thank you holiday greeting once a year.

For my other client lists, I send out quarterly newsletters and show announcements.

Love,
Linda

surreal
01-04-2004, 12:38 PM
I began to experiment with my mailing list consisting of ebay buyers, several months ago.

I send out email messages to the List irregularly.

I think it has been helpful.

Previous buyers have been reminded that I sell art on ebay after receiving messages.

:)

ElizaLeahy
01-06-2004, 01:17 AM
I get a lot of repeat buyers. I list something, don't tell anyone, don't get bids, then go email my list, and within a day I get bids from past clients. They are all happy to be there - they leave if they aren't. I've had a few tell me that it's dangerous to their bank account to be on my list! But they don't leave :)