PDA

View Full Version : New to Wet Canvas. Hello!

W. Howard Moore
01-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey everyone. I really have enjoyed reading the posts here for the last few weeks and looking at all the beautiful art work. I've been working with pastels for about three years now and fell in love with the medium.
I'm posting a painting that I just finished (haven't come up with a title yet). It was done on Canson paper mainly with Rembrants and Schmeinkes. The actual size of the piece is 16 x 20.
Any comments or critiques ya'll give would be appreciated.

Hope everyone has a great new year!!:D

angecald
01-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Hello, Howard,welcome to the Forum. I love this. The colours juxtaposed against white faces, the contrasted textures, the sense of movement and mystery. Could we see more of your work, please?

DGrau
01-03-2004, 02:06 PM
New to Wet Canvas. Hello!

Any comments or critiques ya'll give would be appreciated.

~ Hello and welcome from another new member.
I am really enjoying this piece very much. Nice use of technique and primary colors, really think everything works well in this painting. The painting really stirs up emotions in me which I really enjoy.
One thing though which I find somewhat bothersome to me is the nose and lips of the central face is a bit off. Though they line up with each other, they don't seem to line up with the tilt of the head correctly.
Checked out your web site..some very nice work there, looking forward to seeing more.
Best regards,
David

Dark_Shades
01-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Very Unusual, and Unique..... well done...... welcome to the forum
...... love the textures and colours

kimo
01-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Wow - this is really nice! I just love the colors and the textures in this! In a way this is a kind of spooky painting, but in a good way. If that makes sense. I don't know, to me, there's always been something spooky about masks. You just never know what is behind them! :D

W. Howard Moore
01-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome and all your comments! My wife also thought this piece looked a little spooky because of the eyes (or lack of). I agree that the center figure's face is off a bit. I worked on it and studied for a few days and still can't get it just right. I decided to leave it alone and go back to it in a couple of days with a fresh look. :cool:

ceEllicott
01-03-2004, 04:04 PM
very nicely done.

You have a lot of gorgeous pure color there, nice composition - - funny that you can use a primary color combo and have it come out looking mysterious or spooky, as was said.

If I tried that combo in all pure colors, it would definitely turn out like a child's illustration.
You are very talented and obviously well practiced.

:)

cheryl

eileenclaire
01-03-2004, 04:05 PM
I love this! Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing this, and hope to see a lot more of your stuff!

Dyin
01-03-2004, 09:27 PM
awesome! And welcome! Excellent piece...love the hard vs soft subject and the way you treated the lace and the flowers are a nice touch...the center mask's eyes need to be lifted to the same angle as the mouth...take a ruler and line it up with the mouth line and then carefully move it up...you'll see what's off. But this is great and the eyes didn't bother me...it's a mask...maybe they cut the eyes out wrong!!! Can't wait to see more!!!

pampe
01-03-2004, 10:04 PM
WELCOME
This is fabulously interesting

I like your technique!

Pam

ctmobitz
01-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Very nicely done.......love the colors and the composition......it has alot going for you........and welcome aboard........hope to see alot more of your great pastel talents soon.....

Claude

lisilk
01-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Not spooky at all, reminds me of Mardi Gras. Terrific composition, use of primary colors but what i love is all those non- white whites ! Fabulous painting. :clap:

WELCOME TO WETCANVAS ! Stick around cuz I think I can learn a lot from you.

Li

sundiver
01-04-2004, 02:07 AM
beautiful! Reminds me of Jackie Simmonds' Venice Carnival series.
The faces are so mysterious and blank and yet expressive. Very cool.
Oh, and nice to see new faces here-welcome Howard and David!

Diyart
01-04-2004, 04:34 AM
Hello,

I like your way of displaying thes clothing. A very strong and interesting painting.:clap: :clap:
It always surprises me how many different "styles" are possible and how everyone has his own personal handwrite.

Please post more.

Martin

meowmeow
01-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Welcome!
This is quite a nice painting! I love the colors and the composition. I see what you all mean about the center figure's eyes but it doesn't really bother me.
There is a lot going on in the picture and I could see that it might have not worked well together but it does. You did a great job!
I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Sandy

W. Howard Moore
01-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Well, you all have absolutely made me feel very welcome......Thank you!!

I agonized over doing this piece for a while, thinking it would be too hard to capture and almost didn't start it. In the end, I enjoyed working on it as much as anything i've ever done, if not more. It goes to show you you can't be afraid of that blank piece of paper and the main thing is to have fun with your creativity.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and suggestions!

Kathryn Wilson
01-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the Pastel Forum! What a wonderful painting - such a unique idea - a little off-setting, but I imagine you were going for something close to that - LOL.

I am especially like the way you handled the material - it just floats around the faces so well.

I'll leave the mask critique to Dyin - she'll be able to help you out on that. It is a good idea to step away from a painting for a bit, then come back to it. I'm sure you will see immediately what needs to be done.

:D