PDA

View Full Version : Tips on internet store traffic?

Marineartist
01-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Hello all.
I have had a website store up now for quite awhile. Wondering on the most effective ways to get traffic to the site. I have tried the free search engines. Seems the site purpose at this time is for prospective clients to view my work online. Sales are very slow.
Any suggestions or hints on what has worked for others would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sed Kaya
http://www.sedkaya.com

ElizaLeahy
01-03-2004, 12:19 AM
First, get rid of the bubbles - they distract from your artwork terribly.

Yes, they are "cute". But do you really want a "cute" website?

Your focus is on marine stuff, so look for webrings, mailing lists etc of people who might like this sort of thing and join them. With the mailing lists - just have your URL in your sig and don't "advertise" for awhile. Just join in conversations.

Then, when folks know you and it's not blantently advertising, you can say "oh, by the way, have you seen what it is that I do for a living?"

I joined a "mothers" list because I was doing kids portraits - never sold them one. But I did sell a cat painting. Go figure :)

Had another look at your web page. After that first page with the bubbles (which also don't work well and sometimes take chunks out of the screen) the next page is ok. But when you go to the pages with the pictures on they load very slowly. I don't see prices, and you seem to have only two items in your store - the "dream" picture, and possibly a building :)

By the way, your art is amazing!

OK, found the stuff I was looking for.

Make the "new additions" page your "browse" (or "gallery") page. That's where the information people want is at.

Good luck

surreal
01-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi Sed,
Welcome to WetCanvas!

Selling art on ebay has brought customers to my website and sales from my website, as a result.

I think that many artists would like to make more sales from the art that is available for sale on their websites.

:)

wayfarer
01-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Have to echo the same--wonderful artwork!

Your opening page is a little tough to read with the textured background and the black text on the blue background. fyi: Your home link doesn't work on your Gallery page. I might suggest one naveigation bar for people to navigate through the site rather than just getting to the rest of the goodies from leaving the home page.

Nice that you mention about personal info collected from your site. Reassuring to buyers. I might suggest changing the wording from abuse to sell. That's what buyers are afraid of--spam and telemarketing.

Best of luck to you!

Chris

JoyJoyJoy
01-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Well, I like the bubbles. Good marketing tool to make you stand out as a marine/ocean artist! I know I will certainly remember your website among the many artists sites I have visited! I suggest you remove the bubbles on the far right, outside the "stone" frame... not necessary and raises the loading time for someone like me on a dial-up connection.

I like the layout you are using, with the five pics presented in a "gallery" form in the middle. And, any visitor immediately knows what you and your art is about by these samples and your introductory words on that first page.

My only suggestion would be to change the blue background from behind the paintings. I like the watery blue background on the page... another marketing tool to emphasize the kind of art you do. However, your artworks have a great amount of blue in them (which I am sure you work hard to get such "watery" effect into), and the same color background just makes the whites and other colors show better. So, the background is lowering the incredible visual effects you create in your works.

Agree here with the idea of using eBay auctions to draw traffic to your website. For a few dollars here and there, you can put smaller works in auction, and eBay customers (like me!) often open web pages and info pages linked into the auction.

Nance

ElizaLeahy
01-03-2004, 05:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2004/4490-bubbles.jpg

See those squares in the middle of the picture? That's what the "bubbles" do from time to time.

meriadoc
01-03-2004, 06:04 PM
eliza : this is when i count my blessings for using netscape as my main browser - i was wondering what you were talking about!!

Marineartist
01-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies and great ideas for the site. Debating on the bubbles staying or going. I see what is meant by the background taking away from the pictures on the homepage.
I'll have to find someone that knows HTML for webs to assist me with the changes. They designed the site and gave me the software frontpage. I know how to make simple changes to the site but HTML is way beyond my spectrum.
I will change the background behind the artwork, ? bubble removal, change the word "abuse" to the word "sell" and not sure what you meant about the navigation bar.
I'm glad that I ran into WetCanvas on my web searches.
Thanks again~!