PDA

View Full Version : starting rituals

salart
01-02-2004, 09:58 AM
I am looking forward to a new year of painting- and need to get motivated. What do you guys do when you first go into your studio? I am interested to hear about the rituals people have to get into the creative mode.I travel 20 minutes to get to my studio, and I find the drive helpful,and it makes me stay longer once I am there., but sometimes I can't settle in to what I am doing and end up wasting time. This is inevitable I realize, but am open to some new strategies.:)I want to do LOTS of good painting this year!Thanks....

Eugene Veszely
01-02-2004, 10:50 AM
I don't have any rituals...except for chronic procrastination !!!...but that is another topic :)

Is there anything you do out of habit now ??

Mag
01-02-2004, 11:04 AM
My studio is my kitchen...literally. So it takes me about 10 minutes
to set up. I find myself, without consiously doing so, clearing my
head of all distracting thoughts and negative emotions. Then I generally sit in front of my painting or work (if I am in progress
and not at the start) with a cup of tea, some music playing...
and then I just start. I also devide my time spent between the actual artwork and developing ideas. Developing my ideas takes time, a lot of which at the time seems futile... but when I am ready
to go....I go. For me I need to be ready and have an idea of the direction I want to take.

debmorbeto
01-02-2004, 03:04 PM
I plan my art making for times when I

1. know I will not be interrupted
and
2. can stop whenever I want or need to

When I have planned time in my studio that 'has to end' because I have to pick up my son or do errands etc. I feel too much pressure and never get anything done. So I pick one or two nights a week after dinner and just paint until I am 'done'. Sometimes its only for an hour or so. Sometimes it goes waaaay into the night. I like the freedom it gives me. My husband puts our kid to bed on those nights and never interrupts me. It makes it feel more natural, playful and free this way and thus I produce more. And enjoy it more. Other than that I always pick out some good music to blast while I work!

Deb

voodoolily
01-02-2004, 05:02 PM
My only 'rituals' I suppose are making sure nobody's around. I don't like being interrupted and I don't like having people coming up to me and asking what I'm doing, or just standing and staring over my shoulder (which one of my roommates does - it's so annoying!!).

I like to have at least a rough idea in my head before I start out, otherwise I just sit there looking at whatever I'm working with (paints, cameras, etc.).

salart
01-02-2004, 06:37 PM
I too have kids and constantly have the a schedule looming- I can work at night on a friday night but it is a teensy bit scary in the big ol'factory where I have my 450 Sq foot space( I love it) www.plainstreetstudios.com
(if you want to visit)
but that is a huge factor I often overlook!
I also don't function too well the next day if I go waaay into the night-but it is so great to just let go as long as you can... you really need an understanding family to be a artist/mom.
Usually I go on Mondays and Tuesdays when my kids are in school- I work at an art museum the rest of the week -(I lead a very artsy life !)I actually put a hammock chair in my space to sit in and spin to stir up the imgination... My work is often whimsical and humorous and I need to dig deep sometimes for that impulse- it comes and goes like the tides!

gillyvu
01-03-2004, 12:46 AM
I don't have a studio, but I have little rituals, make sure my hands are clean, and that I have some sort of material thing to work with. I think that's all

BTW, does anyone have paranoid fear about their art? Or is it just me, I have two actually. One being I'm afraid my art will be stolen, and claimed to be whoever took it. I don't even care if they're famous, or my art is hated in their name. I don't know, but I end up signing my art before I am done, and my sketchbooks are signed in many places that people wouldn't look. My other fear is it will all be burned away in a fire, I think I'm just really paranoid. Ok, well happy new year

Keith Russell
01-03-2004, 11:30 PM
gill, I have worked with a professional photographer for nearly a decade. He shoots two 4x5 inch negatives of each of my finished paintings; I keep a copy, and he keeps one at his studio. (He also keeps a copy of each 35mm slide that is shot, at the studio too.)

If any of the work that is stored here at my home (or, perish the thought, at his studio) should be destroyed (by fire, or whatever reason) there is a copy negative and slide, at the other location.

Also, should any of my finished work be stolen by someone (off the web, from a publication, at an exhibit, or from my home), I have another person I can turn to as a witness that my work is my own.

A little extra peace of mind. Yes, I pay for it, but it's worth it!

K

gnu
01-06-2004, 12:57 AM
I'm like Mag..I have to set up..it may be there all week( tries hubby's patience!!), a day or all month!!
I graze thru painting, going from chores to art to WC to art..you get the idea!!
got to wait for paint to dry, so i either do some of another piece or follow above schedule!:D:D
I enjoy filling my water jars, choosing brushes, even laying the newspaper on the table, but most of all getting My easel set in the dining room..and a NEW canvas...if I am beginning a piece..
I don't always make a hot drink because I forget to drink it!! PLUS there's the danger of drinking the paint water instead!!
I ALWAYS resolve to not take over the whole table..hardly ever works though..frantic clear-up before anyone gets home!! heeeheee

salart
01-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys- I enjoyed hearing all the responses. I hope everyone has a productive new year filled with joyful creative energy!
Sally