PDA

View Full Version : Articles you would like to see

Leaflin
01-01-2004, 09:39 PM
If you go to Channels at the top of the page, and scroll down to Airbrush, you will see that under our "Latest Channel News & Articles" there aren't any :D

I believe there are many members in here who would share their expertise and contribute an article or two.
So, let's start a list on the type of articles you would like to see.
I myself would enjoy a basic intro to the Airbrush, Airbrush 101 :)

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-01-2004, 09:49 PM
I'd like to see an article showing how to use the 7 value technique to airbrush portraits. This is where you use 7 flesh tones (hilight, mid-light, low light, midtone, light shadow, shadow, dark shadow) and white and black to get the basic form complete in a short time and then add local colors and extra shading to complete the 3D look.

Specifically, I'd like to know how to mix the 7 flesh tones (starting colors with percentages for a basic starting point), what type (brands/models) of pencil/marker is used to create the basic outline of the face/body, whether all phases are done with opaque or transparent colors, how much (if any) freehand masking and frisket masking is done, etc.

I rented a video showing this done but you know how it goes, there are questions always left unanswered and I am very new to the airbrush and art techniques in general.

So, my next choice is anything on portraits. :)

Thanks,
Tim

kahlua
01-02-2004, 06:31 AM
I would like to see articles on portraits, dogs - short haired and some beginner stuff as well.

kahlua
01-02-2004, 06:43 AM
I just thought of another one - what about a design that uses a stencil. There would be the stencil layout available so the person could follow along with the article and end up with a nice picture at the end. A stencil would make this easy for someone starting out. Just a thought :)

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Yes, an article that allowed a beginner to intermediate (me heheheheh) to follow and get roughly the same results would be great.

AND... when the article is done, I'll even proofread and road-test it for ya. If I can do it... heheheeh anyone can. I am good with catching errors, too.

Tim

Caterwallin'
01-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Leaflin - At what level would you like to see AB 101 start? An intro into the AB itself or beginning AB technique?

Tim - What video did you rent? Skin tone techniques are varied and one of the hardest to accomplish.

Kahlua - no problem.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Sam

coherent
01-02-2004, 02:59 PM
I think I have the video you mentioned. It’s an Airbrush Action video called Painting Portrait’s Using the Value System by Michael Astrachan. A web search for the above should find it at a number of vendors. Although I haven’t had a chance to really practice the method at length, I have played with it a bit and it seems to work very well. You’re right, he doesn’t discuss specific paint formulas for skin tones, but I think that’s because he uses only opaque paint for the “values” and then like you mentioned, used transparent colors at the end to shift the skin tone to the required hue. I remember noting that in the video demonstration, his portrait had quite a yellowish look to me, but he then used transparents (red, blue and gray if I remember right) as a final step to finish the overall skin tones and shadows. I’ve noticed that many other well known airbrush artists use transparent colors almost exclusively for realistic flesh/skin tones to avoid a muddy or chalky look. I always thought tranparents were a must to get a realistic translucent look, but, I was impressed at how in this video he created a very lifelike portrait on a T-shirt in about an hour and a half with mostly opaques. Highly recommended video for getting a better grasp on values, shadowing and light if nothing else. (Plus it’s always fun to watch a pro make it look so simple!) I too would like to see more info from someone who has used this technique effectively...
-Marc

Penny220
01-02-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm wondering if a survey would help us give this direction.

What we need for now is a wip that everyone can follow as a project (if I did not mistake what leaflin' told us)

level of difficulty

stencil or freehand

landscape, plant or animal (I'm neglecting portrait for now because this is not a beginner project and it has been expressed that a beginner to intermediate project where everyone can achieve similar results is requested)

Did I miss anything?

Is a survey a good idea?

Penny

Leaflin
01-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Caterwallin'
Leaflin - At what level would you like to see AB 101 start? An intro into the AB itself or beginning AB technique?

:D Both

Sam, I was just on the tech page of your web site, and, if you are willing, you could easily use any of those articles on the publisher here at WC. That would give us three articles and a base to build on. When I do an article, I compose it in Microsoft Works, then cut and paste it into WC publisher. It is a "building block" system and quite easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Have you looked at the publisher yet?
If you do decide to do that, PM me when you are ready so I can keep an eye out for it.

A beginning article on masking would be wonderful!

As for projects.....In an earlier thread Masks Deserve A Thread Of Their Own (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150368) You showed us how to do bird feathers using a fan brush, Penny offered a list of suggestions for masks, and many others offered their ideas. I thought it would be a good first project for us to each do simple, sample masks; even I could do that :D. This would give us a permanent place to look at everone's suggestions, and give everyone a feel for how the project system works. Give me a bit of time and I'll get a project started in the next week or so.

Trust me :D

Edited for name mess up :o, sorry.

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-03-2004, 02:04 AM
Leaflin,

You meant "Sam, I was just on your tech page..."

Sam and Marc, YES! I own the Michael Astrachan video and in fact I called him on the phone today and chatted for a while. He hasn't airbrushed in about 6 years and is working on 3D digital art and animations. I didn't get any specifics on color percentages but I did get a link to a web site where a guy does portraits. I copied about 10 close-up shots of the faces and spent several hours in Fireworks MX comparing tones and I came up with the seven basic values I'll be using but I have not figured out the %. That will happen when I receive the Com Art colors from Dixie Art. He used Createx cuz he was T-shirting. I'll prob try canvases.

The base colors I will use to get the 7 flesh tones are:

Badger Air-Opaque white
Com Art:
Smoke (or perhaps Transparent black)
Azo Yellow (or golden yellow in other brands)
Burnt Sienna
Vermilion

That's it. All opaque except the black but it will only exist as a few drops inside each tone to bring them down from a totally saturated chroma, more in the shadow tones.

Yes, the colors Astrachan used were a bit too yellow for my tastes. Mine will be more traditional (more red than his). But it seems like a time saver since you can alter any detail after the 7 tones are laid down. Chin not green enough? Blow some over w/transparent green. Although, doing that or using gray will inevitably lower the value so you have to be sure to account for value shifts but that is easier said than done. BUT fortunately with using opaques if you go too dark it isn't ruined like it is in transparents since you can never go lighter by adding any transparent color.

I have done ONE portrait in my life and that was a few weeks ago when I made a feeble effort at simulating the Castro charicature Fredrickson did in his video. But it turned out way cool even though I didn't follow hardly any of his steps and I used no frisket and almost no masking. I really just wanted to try shading with smoke and red then covering with yellow and red. I erased to get more hilights. Did it on posterboard. heheheh in 10 years the whites will be brown. :crying:

So, at some point I may have the color percentages I want. Probably another week or two. But I start work again and sadly, I won't be able to learn this stuff as fast as I'd like.

So, maybe I'll be successful but I doubt my first tries will be very good. So much info to internalize. Plus, my AB skill is not great due to lack of practice and nerve damage in some fingers and thumb. But I think I can get better. Gotta lay off the fingers off and on or they really start bothering me.

I type all this with pinky knuckles. :eek: Yeah, it sucks.

Well, I'd be glad to help with this forum but I am still a beginner in my opinion.

Tim

Leaflin
01-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by ProfessorGreibowitz
Leaflin,

You meant "Sam, I was just on your tech page..."

Tim

:o Oops! My apologies to both of you, I'll go fix it :o

Penny220
01-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Tim,
If you really want to learn portraits and the proper value system take a class from Dru Blair. He's a great guy and IMO the best at portraits and teaching both.
www.drublair.com or call 1-800-828-3634

Colorfast
01-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Penny220..
I was about to start a thread on an airbrush portrait that I have been working on for the last month. But you want it to be simple, so I will wait and show it a little later. Besides, it is still not out of the tuff stage yet.
Colorfast

Penny220
01-03-2004, 10:19 AM
By all means post it! It seems as though most people here have an interest in portraits. I think what is interesting is that no two people will ever use the same approach even if the end result is similiar. I do not do portraits. I have a deal with a local artist, he gives me the animal referals and I give him the people ones.

The purpose of this thread is to get the feel for what people want to see in the form of wips and projects. Linda is using this information to give us direction and to come up with a project everyone can follow but this in not way means that we should not continue to do the wips and projects of the things we normally do.

By the way...
Thanks Linda, you have been the greatest! You gave me the direction required to get us our own forum and you have stuck with us. Interestingly, most of us are new to WC and we definately need you. Thanks again!!!

Penny

Leaflin
01-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Penny220
By all means post it! It seems as though most people here have an interest in portraits. I think what is interesting is that no two people will ever use the same approach even if the end result is similiar.

The purpose of this thread is to get the feel for what people want to see in the form of wips and projects. Linda is using this information to give us direction and to come up with a project everyone can follow but this in not way means that we should not continue to do the wips and projects of the things we normally do.

:D I agree

By the way...
Thanks Linda, you have been the greatest! You gave me the direction required to get us our own forum and you have stuck with us. Interestingly, most of us are new to WC and we definately need you. Thanks again!!!

Penny

Awwww, thanks Penny, I'll have a smile on my face all day :)
I'll hang in there with you guys!!!
Just got to keep your names straight :o

Caterwallin'
01-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Leafy - I'm gathering up some info for several articles, I never thought of using the info from my tech page!
By the way, I missed who you referred to me as and I'm very curious! LOL!!! I will get with you when I'm ready to publish. I also would like to thank you for your continued support and ongoing help that you so generously offer! Your the "Bomb Diggy"!!!!
Colorfast - I agree with Penny, post your portrait! Even if it's intricate, I think that it would still be very informative and educational!
Tim- I had noticed, early on, that you had used your Fredrickson painting as a tinyhead! I would love to see you post a pic of that one!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Penny,

I am nowhere near being ready to take a 4 day, multi-hundred-dollar, long-drive excursion with Dru Blair. Oh, I'd love each second of it and probably stay up each night til 5am but.... too many factors won't allow it right now. Yeah, I know, time is slippin...... But I can't draw a face, I haven't done more than 1 portrait, I just am not ready.

Sam,

Um... hehehe I will post the Castro thing I did but with these apologies/justifications/explanations/play-downs/etc. hehehhe

Okay, I bought the Fredrickson video and thought I'd try a quick (2 hour) attempt at mainly the shading and coloring of a face and I just threw down a quick LOOOONG looking face from memory (using a #2 pencil) of how the castro face looked (not too close, he looks more like Osama!). I did ALL of this just off the cuff with no intentions whatsoever of making it a finished piece. I didn't use masks and I just goofed around with it. So, if i were to go back and do the Castro again on good board with frisket and follow his steps, it would be WAAAAAAY better. I didn't take the time to do that on this. You'll notice many "errors" but they are mostly due to me not caring about them (eg., the fuzzy hat border due to not masking, beard is not truly fleshed out, used white under the left of the hat and boy, is that the wrong thing to do. never use white over orange. etc.). Some errors are just further experimenting with it. Using an electric eraser, etc.

But.... since you asked... here it is. It's Golden colors on 35 cent posterboard. Used the HP-SB.

Go EASY on me! It's my first real attempt at a face PERIOD and not really at capturing a likeness. Just trying out the transparent color idea. I'd never done transparent colors like this either.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-03-2004, 04:28 PM
I painted that pic about 4 weeks ago. My digital camera date is behind by about 5 months.

Tim

Penny220
01-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Geeze Tim,
Stop bein' so hard on yourself. This is great!

To clarify popular misconceptions regarding Dru Blair Studio. He isn't that expensive and he realizes that it is difficult for most to come up with the money SO, what he does for those who ask is kind of a lay-away program. You can determine how much you can afford and make payments, dependent on how long it takes to save up depends on what class you are scheduled in. Last I talked to him he was booking up to 6 months in advance and he has added more classes because of this. He also gets you discounts on motels. OK, back up, yes, it can be a lot of money but he works with you. Every class contains artists from "What's an airbrush" to expert. Dru's classes are very small for this reason so he can give the attention needed to everyone. My point is, he works with you over the money issue if you ask him and it doesn' t matter what your skill level is to attend one of his classes.

Caterwallin'
01-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Tim - I did own the Fredrickson video but I loaned it to a student and I never saw it, or him, again! I learned my basic skin tone techniques from this video and later I had the privilege of attending a AA Getawy where I worked with Fredrickson himself (and Carlos Torres)! I still adhere to this layering of transparent colors when I do skin tones. I totally agree with Penny in saying you are being way to hard on yourself! This is a fantastic painting! Granted, you could have chosen a better support but it's obvious that you are well on the right track! If this is your first effort, then I can't wait to see your next one!
I too would love to attend one of Dru's classes. Maybe one day we can all get together and attend as a group.
Great Job Timmo!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-03-2004, 06:03 PM
I have perused his site pretty thoroughly and it seems like it'd be a ton of fun and I'd learn a lot but I'd feel a bit out of place, as if I had more $ than sense.

Anyway.... if he's still teaching someday.. maybe I can feel like going. I can learn a lot for practically nil just being in the airbrush forum of WC! :D Plus, I need to work on the techniques and ideas I've seen in these 3 videos I bought first. If I get that far and feel I could afford to go to da Blair ranch, I'd certainly consider it. I just feel that there are so many others who can blow me away in art that it'd be a shame for me to take up his time. hehehehehehehe

Anyway, I gotta woodshed first. Gotta walk before... :eek: no wait! Gotta crawl before you walk! hehhehehe

I may seem hard on myself but I like trying to be 100% honest and real and I really didn't mean to post something that was a half attempt but I was coerced! :rolleyes:

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks! I am very picky and when i do something I cannot stand to do it half way and it took a lot of "what the heck?" for me to post something that was half way done and that's why I added all of my disclaimers! heheheheh

I have done a few paintings that turned out nice but they are mostly acrylic w/o airbrush. I did a couple of watercolors that turned out good too. In fact (not bragging) my first watercolor won 1st place in a local art show! I was shocked. I got honorable mentions on about 3 or 4 others.

So, I try hard but on faces... I have a lot to learn and you feel free to critique because I know you have da skillz. I have not even done a complete portrait yet and you've done many so I am at a disadvantage! :)

My next proj is the b&w rose photo and I will finish it and make it awesome but getting the right cork look will be difficult. I can't find a good pic and Walmart had the kind with small chunks of cork instead of big ones.

Ahhhh well, yes it'd be cool if we could go as a group sometime. That'd be really cool. (hmmmm get WC to pay half! :eek: HAHAHHAHAHAH)

Tim

Penny220
01-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Tim,
Lowes and Home Depot both have the large grain cork you are talking about. They are sold in 12" sq sheets, but I think they come in a four pack. If memory serves me it's inexpensive.

Been thinking (you can all run and hide now) Since Linda has given us our homework assignments of creating a library of "effects" and how to render them and since we have all come up with different ways of rendering cork, mayby we should all do a small (5 X 7) rendering of cork using the ways we posted. 100 ways to skin a cat type thing. Just a thought.

I'll pick up a poster board this week and do some effects and pass them off to Linda.

Cherri
01-04-2004, 12:09 AM
That is such an easy question.

EVERYTHING!

Starting out kinda simple and then keep on trucking.

In layman's terms though guys.. Sometimes them big words confuse me.

freehand template use,
masking,
tips on getting cool effects
fur
Animal portraits
People portraits.. heheheheheheh

I am sort of easy..

Penny220
01-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Good new Tim and anyone elso who might be interested Dru Blair intends on publishing a book and a couple of DVD's. It will probably be closer to the end of the year.

Linda,
Once we get our "sample stuff" for our library done what should we do with it? Should we post a new thread with it and let you move it or are you going to collect them all and publish them somewhere for us?

Leaflin
01-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Leafy - I'm gathering up some info for several articles, I never thought of using the info from my tech page!
By the way, I missed who you referred to me as and I'm very curious! LOL!!! I will get with you when I'm ready to publish. I also would like to thank you for your continued support and ongoing help that you so generously offer! Your the "Bomb Diggy"!!!!
Sam

:D Thanks Sam, I called you Tim :D

Linda,
Once we get our "sample stuff" for our library done what should we do with it? Should we post a new thread with it and let you move it or are you going to collect them all and publish them somewhere for us?

I'm working on a project right now where we will all be able to post our examples. I should have it done either tonight or tomorrow. When it's finished it will appear in this forum. If any of you haven't participated in a project before you might want to check out the project system to get an idea.