View Full Version : another framing question

11-06-2000, 01:05 PM
I would like to frame one of my watercolors without a mat. Once I mount it, how do I keep the painting from touching the glass when I frame it?
Thanks for any suggestions!


11-06-2000, 03:39 PM
You can still use a mat but have it so it doesnt show, a little piece of advice , cut the window first when you are cutting the thin mat, or you can use distance pieces to hold your work away from the glass. Might I ask why you dont want a mat?.

[This message has been edited by billyg (edited November 06, 2000).]

11-06-2000, 04:20 PM
You can buy spacers to place between the art and the glass. A spacer fits behind the lip of the frame and is where the glass comes in contact with the frame. They are very narrow and it can be a problem placing them. You can also use a shadow box frame. They can be expensive in wood but reasonable in metal. You just have to decide which suits your work best.


11-06-2000, 04:20 PM
You can purchase what is called "spacers" at any framing shop usually. These are narrow strips of clear plastic that are cut to fit (by you) between the frame and the picture.
I have used them, but usually prefer the mats. Hope this helps...... http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol

PS: these spacers are thin like speghetti (sp?) lol..I see Davida and I posted same answers, same time.. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by oleCC (edited November 07, 2000).]

11-07-2000, 05:07 PM
Thank you for your suggestions! I will look for the spacers. I wanted to frame my painting without a mat to emphasize it's simplicity, and to allow the deckled edges of the paper to show. Is deckled the right term? You know, the soft, feathery edges the paper has when you buy it.


11-13-2000, 10:34 AM
There's always the mount on top of the mat option too, for letting the deckled edge show. 'Course you'd still need the spacers between the mat and the glass.


*Are you wishing, or being?*

*Temet nosce.*