PDA

View Full Version : Fredrix Gallery Wrap dilemna

surreal
01-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi,
I took the recommendations of some artists and purchased Fredrix gallery wrapped canvases.

I regret that I purchased them because I cannot restretch these canvases, due to the way they are constructed.

I have a bid on a painting on one of these canvases, which needs to be restretched badly; the canvas surface isn't smooth and it needs to be tightened up.

I have dampened the back of the canvas with water.

Any other suggested so that the canvas can be completely smooth and tight?

I will have to pull the auction if I can't correct the situation.
:(

edit
I can call a couple of local framing shops and ask for advice.

The cost for the canvas to be professionally restretched onto new stretchers would be prohibitively expensive!

surreal
01-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I am thinking that there is so much gaping that if I use a damp (and wrung out) sponge below the corners of the stretchers and dampen the entire back of the canvas completely that all will be O.K.

Whatcha think?

laurali
01-01-2004, 03:41 PM
The 8 x 10's tend to be inconsistent in stretching--larger sizes are much better. I noticed the canvases in my local art shop have that problem too with the smaller ones (though not as much).

Some imperfections are acceptable in any handmade work (depending on how bad it is). If you're not sure, maybe you could photograph it from a 3/4 angle so I can see the extent of the problem.

I will be offline for awhile. Our hard disk is going out. We are going to replace it now. If all goes well, I'll be back online later today.

Laura

arteitaliana
01-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Spraying the back of the canvas with water usuallt fixes the problem. What did you paint on a canvas that was not stretched properly to begin with?

surreal
01-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi Laura,
Thanx for responding.
I don't have a digital camera.
:)

Hi Rita,
I shouldn't have painted on this canvas.
I goofed big time!
:rolleyes:

My husband thinks that no one will notice and thinks I am being a perfectionist.

Thanks for your feedback, Rita.

I have never submitted a painting to a gallery in anything less than perfect condition!

surreal
01-01-2004, 03:49 PM
I will try spraying the back of the canvas instead of using a sponge.

surreal
01-01-2004, 03:59 PM
I am going to use a sponge to get into the corners, which I won't be able to do with a spray container of water.
:(

I'll let you know how it turns out.
:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone will observe this problem but an artist.

If the problem isn't completely rectified I have to decide whether or not to pull the auction.

There's only 1 bid on it.
*very aggravated*

kjsspot
01-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Nina, there is a product called Tighten Up that works pretty darned good. You can find it at Michaels. Dunno about Hobby Lobby. You can also order it online. Basically you just spray or brush it on the back and it tightens the canvas up. I've even been able to get a brush under the stretchers to take care of a wrinkle in a corner before.

ElizaLeahy
01-01-2004, 04:13 PM
and I'd listen to your husband as well.

It's possible you are focusing on the (very tiny) imperfections. I think you tend to do this

surreal
01-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by kjsspot
Nina, there is a product called Tighten Up that works pretty darned good. You can find it at Michaels. Dunno about Hobby Lobby. You can also order it online. Basically you just spray or brush it on the back and it tightens the canvas up. I've even been able to get a brush under the stretchers to take care of a wrinkle in a corner before.

Thanks very much for this valuable info, Kerry Jo!
:D

surreal
01-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by ElizaLeahy
and I'd listen to your husband as well.

It's possible you are focusing on the (very tiny) imperfections. I think you tend to do this

There is more than a grain of truth in what you say, Eliza!
;)

Rose Queen
01-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Gesso the entire backside of the canvas, Nina, taking care to get under the stretcher bars and in the corners to make the coat even. That will usually shrink the canvas evenly. Good luck!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

ann1
01-01-2004, 06:07 PM
I have had this problem too in the past and the water sprayed on the back of the canvas method of tightening the canvas was still not enough to completely fix the problem for me once.

What I then tried was to use a tiny, thin piece of wood (like the thin tip off of a wood shim piece - found at home improvement stores ) about 1/3 to 1/2 inch deep by an inch or so wide. I carefully hammered it into the back of the canvas - between where the canvas wraps around the back and the wood stretcher bars meet up. (Where the rubber gasket or whatever you call it is). The piece should be just slightly wider than this gap.

This can be done in one or several spots along the back of the canvas as needed. It worked for me to slightly spread out the width of the bars and so stretched the canvas tight on the front. When hammered in flush it does not show up much either. Just make sure your wood piece is not so long as to go through the front of the canvas.

I always seem to find a flaw with a painting or canvas too, once the painting has been bid on! I think us artists can be over critical of our work at times though and see things that others would not though. Good luck!

Anne

surreal
01-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi Rose and Ann,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write down your suggestions.

The canvas surface is now perfectly smooth!

I wet the back of the canvas with a spray bottle of water as Rita suggested twice.

The first time, the surface was fine except for the 2 upper corners.

The 2nd time I sprayed below the wood at the 2 corners which gaped as well as the entire surface again and

it is perfectly fine!!!

:D

arteitaliana
01-01-2004, 09:42 PM
I am glad it worked, Nina!
You have to wet the canvas quite a bit for it to work, that's why sponging was not enough.

surreal
01-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Rita Monaco
I am glad it worked, Nina!
You have to wet the canvas quite a bit for it to work, that's why sponging was not enough.

You were absolutely right!
Thanks again.