PDA

View Full Version : A bit of advice please?

madmum
01-01-2004, 05:54 AM
You've seen the dandelion clocks I've painted, now I want to make sure I market them on eBay as well as I possibly can.

I thought I'd add an image to each auction showing the 3 paintings in a group, would this be good enough?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2004/10535-Dandelions_grouping.jpg

How would you "encourage" buyers to look at and bid on all 3? Would you list them all at the same time, or stagger the listings for maximum exposure?

I was thinking about appealing to childhood memories of these seed heads. Maybe calling the series "Make a Wish", what do you think? Any more tips? I'm sure I'll FP at least one of them ;)

Thanks! And Happy New Year!!!!

Ruth

TeAnne
01-01-2004, 06:56 AM
When I did my 3 little abstract nudes, I listed 2 then one the next day or so. The same person won the 3 of them but it would have been nice if he didn't have to wait for the last one to finish. So I reckon, list 3 together seperately of course and have the 3 showing in all listings :D
Good luck Mum they are gorgeous :D

Fagan
01-01-2004, 07:22 AM
Ruth...I had a listing similar to this last year. It was the four seasons in acrylic. I listed all four separately and it did not work out well. There were a couple of people who wanted the whole set....but more people only wanted 1 of them (If I remember it was the spring season). When it came down to it.....the people who were interested in the whole set gave up because the spring was going too high. In other words...I would had a better sale if I had listed all 4 paintings together under a higher starting price. The people who were interested in them as a set would have bid that up a lot higher than I ended up with.
People who will want this as a set may be too leery of one of the set going higher than they could afford and will quit bidding. Where as, if you listed them all together you may have a lovely bidding war going on. This is just from my experience with listing a set. Maybe someone else has a different outcome to share.
I love all of your dandelion paintings!!

madmum
01-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Bev you have given me yet another option! I don't know what to do now!

Te, having them all ending on the same day (if I list separately) makes sense :)

I'll wait to see what others think :D

Ruth

M.A.
01-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Ruth, this really is a charming and wonderful series. Perhaps in your statement about the paintings you could make a comment to the effect that the paintings will work well together as a set or stand alone piece of original art in your home. (When are you going to start making prints?, btw) :angel: :cat:

JoyJoyJoy
01-01-2004, 08:27 AM
OOO - love those dandelions... and great name for them!

I have never listed a set, but have been considering it. One option I have thought about is listing the items separately and on the same day (maybe 30 minutes apart), showing all three (like your picture) in each auction, and offering a "buy it now" on each. By offering the "buy it now," someone wanting the set of three could buy all three at once... it would guarantee that they would get all three without going from auction to auction, to make sure they had the highest bid on all.

The BIN price, I think, would be have to be low enough to encourage this multiple buying, but high enough to make a nice profit. I would also state, in each auction, that anyone buying all three would pay the shipping cost of $XX, a nice discount from the three separate shipping costs... or, even, offer free shipping with the purchase of the set using BIN ... just make sure the BIN prices are high enough to cover profit plus shipping.

I think this would encourage a buyer to purchase all three, yet remove the frustrations of the auction process. What do you think?

Nance

madmum
01-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Nance that sounds like a great suggestion! I do offer combined shipping, usually 2 or 3 for the single shipping charge as they're very light, most of the weight is in the packaging.

My starting bid on each would probably be 30 ($49 US). What would you think to be a good BIN price?

MA I'll do that! I hope to be in the position to offer prints in the next couple of months, I have been looking at a printer with archival ink and if the price is low enough I'll probably go for it! They would only be similar sizes to the paintings, though, I can't afford a large format printer! So much to think about :confused:

Ruth

JoyJoyJoy
01-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Ruth...

About the BIN price... what is the size, media, support of the pieces? Sold with/without mat and frames? What are your usual selling/bidding prices for such work (range you sell in)?

Nance

madmum
01-01-2004, 10:03 AM
They're all watercolour on 140lb Arches CP 12x10, unmatted, unframed.

Usual prices have been first bid (30) or within 10, but I am determined to push my prices higher this year! I know my work is worth more :D

Actually smaller work has done better for me, with more bids pushing the prices higher, but I prefer to paint this size.

I do have mat cutting equipment but it's time-consuming to do that, and it makes shipping more difficult (I roll my paintings).

Ruth

mhimeswc
01-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Ruth,
I just wanted to tell you how great they look together. I really hope someone does buy them as a set. I would list them separately but at the same time, with the BIN. I think that is the best way to make it easy for someone to purchase them together. Good luck.

Michelle

madmum
01-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Michelle. I will add a BIN price to them, it only costs a few pennys extra :)

I'll list them all tonight, want to get the auctions off and running before the weekend, and I'll stick with 7 days. Have to decide between US site and UK now. :confused:

Ruth

Rese
01-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Mum,

This set is beautiful! I love the idea of naming them "Make A Wish". I think it's a great way to name the series.

Just a thought with the BIN . . . you may want to put a reserve price on the paintings just to prevent the BIN dropping off after the first bid. I haven't sold any art on ebay yet, but I have sold many other items. When I have an item I think will sell at the BIN price I will sometimes add a reserve because it may take that special buyer a couple of days to find the auction. That way, a couple of low starting bids won't prevent the BIN sale as long as the reserve has not been met. However, if someone wants one of the paintings bad enough to meet the reserve with the first bid, the BIN will disappear anyway.

No matter how you decide to list these paintings, I think they will do very well. They are stunning!

Rese

madmum
01-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Well I listed them, one as an FP on the ebay.com and the other 2 on the UK site. If I get a bid I might FP one of the UK listings. I tried to make the prices equal on both sites but the exchange rate is complicating matters.

Now I wait and see!

Ruth

M.A.
01-01-2004, 04:43 PM
fingers crossed

jocelynsart
01-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi Madmum: I love your Dandelions. I noticed one in your signature banner awhile ago. They are so amazingly done!!!!
Putting them like that as a graphic in your auction for each one, if done separately, really shows how well they compliment each other as a set. I'd do a banner graphic in your description. Soemone might want the set and fight to get them all.
They are beautiful and I really hope they do well for you!
Joss

madmum
01-03-2004, 04:54 AM
:D

I followed alot of suggestions, except the reserve as I never have any success with reserves, and the auction I FP'd has a bid! Now I am thinking of adding FP to one of the other auctions (which are listed on ebay.co. uk to increase exposure to the browsers). Worth it?

Thanks, Joss, if they do well I'm considering adding to the series, maybe doing sets with different coloured backgrounds. Amazingly not everyone loves purple and blue the way I do! lol

Thanks MA :D

Ruth

TeAnne
01-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by madmum
:D

I followed alot of suggestions, except the reserve as I never have any success with reserves, and the auction I FP'd has a bid! Now I am thinking of adding FP to one of the other auctions (which are listed on ebay.co. uk to increase exposure to the browsers). Worth it?

Thanks, Joss, if they do well I'm considering adding to the series, maybe doing sets with different coloured backgrounds. Amazingly not everyone loves purple and blue the way I do! lol

Thanks MA :D

Ruth

Excellent news :D
I've got one with a reserve, never done it before, wont do it again.

I think my stuff must suck :(

jocelynsart
01-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Awww T! There is just alot of competition, alot for browsers to wade through. On eBay marketing is probably the only way to really stand out. But, it costs and can be unsuccessful therefore costing money and not selling. Just keep trying!!! Your work should do well larger sizes due to it's bold decorativeness.
I am trying to figure out too what is best for my specific work related to eBay. I've decided to remain individually self rep only. Marketing, as Rita mentions often, and is good advice, is one thing. That I do know and do agree I need to decide on some sort of specific one for me. Using FP for me seems not worth it but for the odd really unique or what I feel is a superior piece for me, I will use it for. If for nothign else than to draw a new looker. I have linked my auctions to my site finally. I feel the work I offer on eBay is different than what I do via my site. I do only commissions via there and don't plan on offering artwork for sale on it.
I did try Reserves and I find them just confusing for buyers and lookers. I too prefer to start with the minimum I can accept upfront and forego reserves. With higher starts, my bidding is minimal though. So, I don't know. I am just going to go with that right now and see.
Madmum, I hope they do well! They should! I love the close up one the best. How you get the delicate seeds to look so amazing is the best part! I like your colours and I guess you could be right, purples and blues maybe have less popularity. But, one never knows who may see them and love them!
Joss
:cat:

Rese
01-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Mum,

Congrats on the bid! I certainly understand why you didn't use a reserve. I only suggested it because you wanted to sell them as a group and it would have prevented the BIN from falling off after the first bid (unless the first bid met the reserve). I do think reserves can work well in the right situation. I have had some success using them with the BIN option. However, I too usually forget the reserve and put the opening bid at the minimum price I would want for the item. I haven't starting selling my art yet, and I know the art categories are very different from selling other items.

I think you really have something special with this series! I'd love to see some more in different colors too (although I love the purple and blue). ;0)

Wishing you much success!
Rese