PDA

View Full Version : Question on pastel and acrylics

Halo
12-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Can anyone tell me if it's ok to use some pastel on top of an acrylic painting for touchup? And if so, how would I then need to handle the painting, do I spray it with a fixative or would I have to put it under glass or ?? Is it going to be more "delicate"...easy to smear etc? And will it last? Thanks! :)

Dyin
01-01-2004, 01:14 AM
Hi Halo...somehow you ended up in the library rather than the forum...but I'll try to help you out...you should repost this in the regular pastel forum though, or write to the forum moderator and they'll move it for you...you can put pastel over acrylic, you may fix it but yes, it will be more delicate, ie: can be smeared. Glass framing is the preferred method for pastels, and not plexiglass, as the static electricity can pull the pastel particles to the surface. Pastel is very archival and it works really well with different medium underpaintings and I've seen several nice 'saves' from acrylic and watercolors. Hope this helps some and if you do this please post your results in the regular forum for us!

Halo
01-01-2004, 04:09 AM
hi Dyin
Thanks for the heads up on being in the library! I thought I clicked on the main pastel link but something went awry in there somewhere. :) Thank you too for the information on pastels over acrylic, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I will go back now and try to see how I got into the library instead...thanks again!