PDA

View Full Version : January Challenge!! Ready???

Jennifer Geldard
12-31-2003, 03:46 PM
OK... Robbin says it's my turn to pick the colors :)

So....

I'm choosing :

Black
white
Red (stiking or opaque...your choice)
and
edp (purple #254... just to play with your mind :D )

Have Fun!!

ps: Of course if you're using another glass besides moretti... feel free to choose the closest thing to these colors .

StefaniBeads
12-31-2003, 06:07 PM
As I'm reading the list:

Black - mm-hmm!
Red - yes!
white - yes!!
I can do it...I can DO it!!

EDP...........grrrrrrrrr!!!!

Oh alrrrright, I'll try it......:rolleyes: ;) :D

Doc says my wrist isn't broken, but I say it's usable (sort of!) and I'm dying to get back on the torch!!

AlexM
12-31-2003, 07:26 PM
Jennifer,

Can we use enamels and silver?

dread
12-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Frits ?

Jewelia
12-31-2003, 11:22 PM
Ahhhh...Jen...you're a crazzzzy woman!!!!!!...;)

snootyvixen
12-31-2003, 11:34 PM
Red and purple? Jen, are you a recent inductee to the Red Hat Society?? LOL

Vikki

diva
01-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Ok, just ordered some EDP. If I get it in time, I'm in. :)

Jennifer Geldard
01-01-2004, 02:53 AM
Silver is ok....
if you use enamels, you have to replace one of the colors with that color of enamel... ie: no red glass AND red enamel... one or the other.
The same for frits.... ruby frits, but then no red glass.
Does that make sense?

Jennifer Geldard
01-01-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by snootyvixen
Red and purple? Jen, are you a recent inductee to the Red Hat Society?? LOL

Vikki

Not yet... but I fully plan to be :D
I can see no larger honor than to be inducted into that grand society :)

http://www.redhatsociety.org/poem.html

Shirley C.
01-01-2004, 02:58 AM
um... is clear a "freebie"? what about goldstone?
sorry to be a pain, jen... :D

Jennifer Geldard
01-01-2004, 03:05 AM
Nope... no clear.
Goldstone... ack... see what happens when you open yourself to silver???

ok... goldstone... but that's it.
No more.. I'm puting my foot down....

-warm regards from the tough old broad,
-Jen

Shirley C.
01-01-2004, 03:24 AM
jen, what on earth are you doing up so late? yeah, it's new year's eve and all, but geez! :D

no clear? ppffffftttttttttttt!! :p

Jennifer Geldard
01-01-2004, 03:35 AM
Me????
Oh... ok... you're on the west coast... ( I was gonna say "What about YOU? " )
Well, I was the designated driver., and we just got back.
Happy New Years everyone!! :)

Booger
01-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Thought I had one for you, Jennifer - but contaminated it by using clear. SO back to the melting table.

One More Time,
Sheryll

mperaza
01-01-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm fairly new to WC, but would like to get involved in some of these challenges. I use lausha glass so I don't know what

"edp (purple #254... just to play with your mind )"

looks like. Can someone either tell me if any of the lauscha purples are close to this color or perhaps post a picture of the moretti purple which is being referenced here ??

Thanks!
Marilyn

gwacie
01-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Oh JUNK (cuz I can't say "BOOGERS", my favorite expletive without getting a response from you know who...)

I went down this morning at 6am and decided to work on this challenge a little so I made a bunch of ENCASED in clear beads....

Back to the drawing board!

This is such fun. I am gonna hate going back to the day job next Monday...

question to self, why have you still NOT learned to spell check before hitting submit??

Jennifer Geldard
01-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by mperaza
I'm fairly new to WC, but would like to get involved in some of these challenges. I use lausha glass so I don't know what

"edp (purple #254... just to play with your mind )"

looks like. Can someone either tell me if any of the lauscha purples are close to this color or perhaps post a picture of the moretti purple which is being referenced here ??

Thanks!
Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,
There really isn't a lauscha color that's the same, but you could use any opaque purple you like.
Here's a pic of EDP (Evil devitrifying purple)

bluelizzy
01-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Jen, great color combo.

I had a special order for a bunch of beads in those colors several months ago and they really look great together. Those beads had clear mixed in the batch, but I'll love working with those colors again, without the clear.

Happy New Year.:D

Virginia L.
01-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Do mousies count. I just bought a bunch of purples, but they don't have labels on them....can I use the closest purple to what I see in the picture - Thank you - Virginia L.

Virginia L.
01-01-2004, 03:36 PM
is the bottom one the right color??? thanks for your help - Virginia L.

Jennifer Geldard
01-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Virginia L.
is the bottom one the right color??? thanks for your help - Virginia L.

Yup! :D

Booger
01-01-2004, 11:04 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRR! Jennifer, I swear I can hear you laughing from here!

First try thrown out. No clear. Second try, a serious flub. Left the design raised and turned toward the flame and the EDT infected ALL the black. So, melted in and then ended up with a freaky reaction that included a variety of colors that are not in this Challenge. Work cool? The vit comes back - heat it up and I smoked the red........

Okay, back I go again. You are trying to teach us something here - I just know it. And when I learn it, I will be so very happy, but until that happy moments arrives? I'll just keep stomping around chanting swear words.

%^&#^&#,
%*(^*$*!
^&(+EPT,
Nasty, nasty verb........

Sheryll The Frustrated

!ngridh
01-01-2004, 11:26 PM
Well I had an idea for this but...you got here first....let me refine this then...

Orchid... a HOLLOW bead....all orchid and nothing but orchid ;-)

I think I want to suggest this because it has been rolling around in my head and I am just not masochistic enough to really want to try it! :confused:

midniteburner
01-01-2004, 11:34 PM
hmmmmmm!!!! Ok, let me get this straight.

It's black, white, red and EDP.

Silver is ok, goldstone is ok but, no clear.

Heading to the dirty dungeon to work this out:D :rolleyes: :D

Sara

Booger
01-02-2004, 12:20 AM
Hey Jennifer?

What I said up there? HA!
NEVER MIND

RoseAnnRosannaBOOGER

Virginia L.
01-02-2004, 12:27 AM
beginners foil!!! I did not know about the red going yucky, I am brand new at all this. I hope I don't find pucky, smokied, yucky beads in the morning. I was so excited about that combo. Oh, Well, I made the beads I am practicing, trying to get good at. If I have to, I will try, try again - God Bless - Virginia

Booger
01-02-2004, 12:45 AM
And !ngridh, I will take you up on this one and try tomorrow night! (Oh boy, I feel a another disaster bead coming.......)

Sheryll

Shirley C.
01-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Booger
... You are trying to teach us something here - I just know it. And when I learn it, I will be so very happy, but until that happy moments arrives? I'll just keep stomping around chanting swear words.

%^&#^&#,
%*(^*$*!
^&(+EPT,
Nasty, nasty verb........

Sheryll The Frustrated

hmmm... i figured she was trying to teach us new swear words.

no torch time for me today, so i'll give this a try tomorrow (friday). then you might be able to hear me swear all the way on the right coast.

Barrie
01-02-2004, 03:24 AM
Aha!! I made one!! I was sitting at my torch, wondering what to make, (have a headache today, so it's been a rough one coming up with ideas!), then Jen's challenge popped into my head, and here it is!!! I started with a cylinder of EDP, added some blotches of light red, some stringer of white, some very fine black stringer, then heated the crap out of it, and swirled with my tungsten pick (no finesse!), reshaped it into a cylinder, added black at either end, added goldstone raised dots on the black, and flashed the EDP to get rid of any devit. Voila! Cool challenge, Jen, I'm going to try a few more before I put these colors away! :) (edited to add that this is two views of one bead!!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2004/10732-Jan_challenge_bead.jpg

Barrie

ChrisF2
01-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Super cool Bead Barrie! (Looks like you're hosting the next month's challenge? Good job!)

These colors are sooooooooo cool Jennifer! When I read the post this afternoon, and all the talk of the Red Hat Lady Society........what I was working on was perfect for this challenge! I posted a pic of the Red Hat Lady in the S&T for Friday, and will be working on one for THIS challenge when I wake up tomorrow!

The march of the Red Hat Ladies is coming! Wish me luck! You can do it Sheryll...........I know you can!

Chris

Booger
01-02-2004, 07:43 AM
A bead that personifies my delight in this particular color challenge! I won't mention all the duds that preceeded it and that tongue sticking out? Must have been some sort of Freudian bead slip........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2004/13045-MissEddy.jpg
Think I will wear this scary lady today to ward off evil............and everyone else.

Ta DA!
Booger

Jennifer Geldard
01-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Awesome!

Barrie..Nice!! You get to pick the February challenge colors :)

Sheryl... what can I say?? She's just gorgeous :) She reminds me of Tim Curry a little bit.. I think it's the tongue :D

BTW... yes there's a lesson here.... so what if the colors react and give additional colors not listed?? Hmmm? What happens to the red and the black... especially the striking red when it reacts with silver????

Virginia L.
01-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi, well these turned out a whole lot better than I thought they would. I was afraid there would be no red, just a burnt mess, but there is a little red, and I love how the purple looks a little like fired clay. These are the beads I am trying to get good at, so it was great practice. Beautiful Bead Barrie, and boy, what a catch she is, Booger - God Bless you all - Virginia L.

!ngridh
01-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Booger
A bead that personifies my delight in this particular color challenge! I won't mention all the duds that preceeded it and that tongue sticking out? Must have been some sort of Freudian bead slip........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2004/13045-MissEddy.jpg
Think I will wear this scary lady today to ward off evil............and everyone else.

Ta DA!
Booger

CHERYL!!!!!!!!!! you swore you wouldn't put my picture up on WC!!!!!!!!!
HOW COULD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :( ;)

Jamn!
01-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Barrie very cool! I think the swirls are pretty good btw!

Booger Awsome!! The lips on that are to die for!! :)

Viginia! what pretty beads and the one in the middle is just gorgeous!

Heidi

Edited because I always find something else to say.. hehehe

Booger
01-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Ummmmmm, !ngridh???
Do you think it is wise to trust a grown woman who calls herself Booger??? One hollow EDT in the oven - order up tomorrow! And in the meantime - IF you really look like that? Please!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE TURN TOWARD THE HEAT!!!"

Stickin' To It Booger
:D

gwacie
01-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Barrie, Virginia, Sheryll, that's it???

I figured by now tons more folks would have submissions.

Then again, you three have done such an excellent job, perhaps no more are needed :D .

But I'll post mine anyway - it was too much fun to try and figure out something that would look ok. When in doubt, stick to the standard...

snootyvixen
01-03-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by gwacie
Barrie, Virginia, Sheryll, that's it???
<snip>
When in doubt, stick to the standard...

Mine is in the kiln right now ...
... but I played safe and stuck to fairly standard also! Bethany, I think yours is a little more complex than standard - beautiful work, everyone!

Vikki

snootyvixen
01-03-2004, 12:14 AM
LOL - I gotta say, Booger .. Miss Eddy Pee looks like a drag queen I once knew, except her name was Theresa Green. Same colored eye shadow though!

Vikki
(who spent many a long, drawn out night at Kinselas!)

Shirley C.
01-03-2004, 12:22 AM
mine is also in the kiln. i did get rather frustrated (didja hear me swear over there on the right coast?), but i think i may have gotten something decent. tomorrow morning will tell the story...

Booger
01-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Shirley - I thought I heard someone yelling familiar words!
Gwacie - that is one elegant looking bead. How big please?
Virginia - I love the raked center bead. Very impressive dot placement.

I have some questions please? What sort of metal or chemical is in this glass? I am asking because for the last two nights, I have gotten horribly dizzy and have never had this problem before. And why does it melt so strange. The only thing that is different is the EDT (and I never used such quanities before.) Could it be the glass????

And to SnootyVixen - Turn him toward the heat, too.................

Tomorrow Is Another Day,
Scarlett O'Booger

gwacie
01-03-2004, 02:22 AM
Heya ms. booger - not too big (by booger standards that is). It's 32mm long, 20mm at the widest point. Or you could say it's about 1.25" long and .75" wide.

Oh, and Vik- that kind of bead is a standard for me is what I meant - it's what I make whenever I don't know what else to do cuz they always seem to look acceptable!

tap tap tap....still waiting for more of these (Jennifer, are you gonna post some too?)...

snootyvixen
01-03-2004, 02:55 AM
OK - here we go. I have to say they look less impressive close up (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2004/14836-b040102_kabukieyes.jpg

Vikki

Kalera
01-03-2004, 04:16 AM
I have made two beads so far... one with silver (which turned the EDP green) and one without, which I *thought* looked like a clown until I saw Booger's Scary Lady!

Still thinking on this one.

Jacinthe
01-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Here Jen, I did it... I used white, striking trans red, edp and black and clear (hope you dont mind)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2004/20424-3jan8a.jpg
white heart, encased with trans striking red, squiggled on some edp, encased with clear, added black ends, then dotted in diagonals with black, white and edp.

Hugs from Happy Holland,
Sarah

donner
01-03-2004, 01:18 PM
having never worked with this color combo before, I thought I should give it a try...especially when my first reaction to it was 'ugh'. but now that I've played with it, I rather like it! Jenn, you knew what you were doing when you picked it, smart girl..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2004/10380-512_HeartsAblaze.jpg
"Hearts Ablaze"

beadamaniac!
01-03-2004, 01:55 PM
I made a couple of simple beads employing Corina's kaleidoscope technique. I think the bead on the right may have anise white, my last batch of pastel white was sort of grainy so I'm not sure.
Base bead of black, center dots of white topped with dark red (probably purple red) and side dots of edp. I will make more of these.

Shirley C.
01-03-2004, 02:36 PM
this is what came out of the kiln this morning. i'm a little less than pleased with this bead, so i may do some other things later with this color combo.

black base, white enamel, flower petals made from cane: edp striped with black then encase with transparent red, same cane used to outline the cube (and i use that word cube loosely, LOL!). there's a flower on each face of the cube.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2004/10433-JanuaryChallengeCube.jpg

mperaza
01-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Okay, here's mine. Remember, the challenge is the first for me, also, the bead was the first for 2004 ... and, if that isn't enough, it was one of my very first beads on the Nortel Minor (after working only with a HH for over a year). Not totally thrilled with the bead, but hey, it's in the right colors :).

beadamaniac!
01-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Shirley, that bead is very cool, although it looks like the edp got swallowed up.
That fish is adorable and Vikki, I forgot to say how much I loved that purple eye!
All other beads are beautiful as well, don't mean to exclude anyone....

Shirley C.
01-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by beadamaniac!
... it looks like the edp got swallowed up.
that was intentional - nasty stuff, that edp. :D it and i have never gotten along very well. probably because i don't have a lot of patience.

geez, everyone's done such a fine job with this dreaded purple!

greatfindsct
01-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Well since my beads are getting a bit better, I'll jump in on this one. I kept the purple purple at least :) It's not very artistic, but it is purple red black and white :)
Oh my goodness, I just previewed it, and it looks like little spermies swimming around in there...LOL
Jen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2004/32278-beads-056.jpg

Virginia L.
01-04-2004, 12:54 AM
it is a beautiful bead, but you are right, the squirms are right there!!! lol, I would not have noticed though if you had not said it. It is realllly beautiful - Virginia L.

Trishki
01-04-2004, 04:12 AM
I'm in awe of everyone here.... these actually should belong in the fugly thread....

...read da bead....nuff said....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2004/20885-januarychallenge04.jpg

Dotted lentil: EDP, white dots, melted in striking red dots, with black dots around the edges.
Love EDP NOT! : White encased in Striking Transp Red, EDP stringer, mini face with black and white.
Last one: White encased in Striking Transp Red, EDP stringer, sad black flowers with black and white.

Booger
01-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Patricia, What are you talking about? Those are GREAT! I love the writing that expresses just how you feel about this odd color. I love them! More comments later as tons of work is staring me in the face, but for now - another scary EDP nasty head.......
Meet Queen DeVit!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2004/13045-Queen.jpg
Off To Find The Living Room,
Adventuress Booger

JCA
01-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Great Challenge and everyones stuff is excellent.
Heres mine
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2004/16292-jennchallenge.jpg

Shawn T.
01-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Jen,
I am so glad that you posted this bead. I think it is one of your best! Beautiful colors, and well executed. She is too shy to tell you so I will. Check out Jen's bead (greatfindsct) and keep in mind that she has only been making beads for just over one month. Now I for one could not have made a bead as beautiful as that one, one month later, and would have never seen the sperm in it if you had not told me. I didn't see that last night. If she doesn't show you the rest of her beauties today, I am going to post them for you, even if she kills me for it. hehehe

Yes, 3 claps for you Jen,
Shawn

By the way the rest are also amazing, I'm afraid to post the ugly beads I came up with using these colors, they belong in the ugly thread, but I can now tell you what not to do. :evil:

Jewelia
01-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Nice candy everyone!!!
Wow Boogs!!! So scary and cute at the same time!! I luv 'em!!
I pulled some striped stringers and with the EDP and black..was going to do do a floral on a red hollow heart with a white vine...it was REALLY ugly!! Then I remembered Jen said we could use silver..YAY..So I cooked some silver into a blob of EDP...reduced it and pulled it.....here is what I came up with...a black tab with layered white dots and Striking red..then EDP/silv stringer work...mushed again and fire polished. I love how the EDP has an etched feeling...couldn't have worked out better if I had TRIED..LOL....black and red is still shiny....some rounds to match...too fun..have a good one and lets see some more!..hugs.........Julia

Kalera
01-09-2004, 03:59 AM
I finally finished mine! (a week later).

Nothing really grand, just an old standard with new colors.

NLC
01-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Thanks to Sheryll & Jim, I'm in. I did watch her warning about burning too much at once, but since mine look like seed beads in comparision to theirs.. :D I like the sheep and cat, of course, but the black based dotted one looks pretty cool, and the EDP didn't work it's nasty magic on that one.

Great beads, everyone! Sheryll's look awesome (ok, and a bit frightening) in person) and I love the look of Jewelia's!!!!
Nikki

Beads-Me!
01-09-2004, 02:23 PM
All right - I'm in on this one! I love those colors together - I'm headed out to my NEW MINOR to give this challenge a try! Lovely entries folks! Good choice of colors Jen! :clap:

Jacinthe
01-09-2004, 05:33 PM
You folks know what I like about this challenge and all the results?
NOT one person has created the same bead.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

watermelonjewel
01-09-2004, 07:10 PM
OK, Im not doing this one... LOL. Ugly colors and you guys have done great! Mine would surely be a mess of mud. Im not big on the red or EDP. I dunno, maybe when I lose this headache I might get brave... I mean I do have the whole month... hehehe :D

Booger
01-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Sarah is right. No two people have even come close! Jennifer? I want you to know that once the Weekly Challenge was for a vessel. Well, I tried and tried and then made many many more until finally I decided that I was hooked and couldn't stop. THIS is turning into the same thing?!?!?

Can't stop and is now my favorite group of colors.

Thanks Lady!
Sheryll

Queen of Tides
01-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi All,
hope I'm not too late for this! I had fun with these colors last night.

Virginia L.
01-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi All,
hope I'm not too late for this! I had fun with these colors last night.
ooooooooooo, I love everything you do!!!!! God Bless - Virginia L.

PeggyRose
01-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Wonderful beads, all. I can't believe all the great beads that came out of this combo of colors.

Well, here's my contribution, not great, but I had fun!

Lauri, I did see that "mange attachments', but the photo doesn't show up when I preview, so what's up?

Teri.p
01-13-2004, 11:22 PM
What a great beautiful bunch of beads - who'da thunk it?!

Here are mine: Vetrofond black, Moretti EDP, white, and Purple Red.

Teri

Jennifer Geldard
01-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Well I finally got around to mine...
Black and EDP base with white enamel, black side covered in silver foil and burned off... then red dots. I also fumed it a touch with silver, then after a reduction flame, turned up the oxygen to get the edp back to color on the end.
Silver changed everything!
Fun stuff.

dkaton
01-15-2004, 11:43 AM
This is fun.
I like the challenges.
I like to see everyones work.

Here are two pictures of the same bottle.
Working on the flash and color thing.

Have a great January.
Deborah

saucy
01-15-2004, 07:37 PM
I finally finished a challenge. I don't like the bead, but here is what I did. The base is transparent red Moretti. I put silver around the middle black and EDP side by side on each edge and white stringer in the middle. It's ugly, but it was made with all the colors.

diva
01-16-2004, 04:11 AM
Just got my EDP this week. My new favorite color! :)

I plan to play with these colors some more tomorrow, but for now:

CindyLouhoo
01-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Two rather funky florals with these colors. I would never have used these colors together, but they're not as bad as a expected. All Effetre glass.
Black base.
White under the opaque red and under the EDP in the canes on the second bead.
Black on both canes in the second bead and in the red on the first bead.
Don't know that I would do these combos again, but it certainly gave me some food for thought, and I learned how to do photos on here again. I hope.
Cindy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2004/10466-PICT0007c.jpg

Queen of Tides
01-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Cindy,
outstanding! I love what you did!!!