PDA

View Full Version : Shameless self-promotion on Ebay, whatcha think?

tonigart
12-31-2003, 11:38 AM
I am biting at the bit to get back to listing art on Ebay....I was thinking about doing some self-promotion with the subtitles and was wondering if it was too much and would turn buyers off or would it get them to look at my auctions out of curiosity? (and of course hopefully bid)

For example I may put "Toni's back!" or "Check out Toni's artwork, hottest new artist on Ebay" (that one may be a bit much), or "Hot new emerging artist". A lot artist do self-promotion in their listings but the info has more to do with awards and resume' type stuff. I am looking at the angle of a publicist.

I do have a small following and most of my paintings that I listed in the past had mulitple bidders, so I do think I have merit in putting something like that in the subtitles, even though it is fluffed up, ok ALOT of fluff.

I should just do it and see what happens but I am afraid others (in particular artists) will think I am pompus and stupid, or will they think, gee I should have done that?

What do you all think? and anyone think the Dec. drought is over and buyers are back or is it too early to start listing and should wait for a couple of weeks?

Everyone have a SAFE and fun Happy New Year, may all your dreams come true in 2004!

Toni

My Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/id=10916076&ssPageName=L2

jocelynsart
12-31-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi Toni: I don't think it is too bad. I see some self serving statements that do sound kind of silly but you can easily find one that does not ring like that to you.
Maybe something about your style, uniqueness, what you want to achieve. Maybe someone you know has made a statement to you about your work and it could work well as a sub line? I'll use one as an example that my Dad said to me once. "Your work shows alot of passion for what you do and that is what I like about it the most." You could take a phrase like that that maybe someone commented to you upon seeing your work, ask if they minded you using it, and work it. Like a quote. That way you are not saying it about your own work and not feeling like a self pat on the back; if you are worried about that.
I'd say stay away from gimicky or salesmanish type sounding things when selling original art.
Joss
Good luck on your new re-entering!

tonigart
12-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks Joss!
That is an EXCELLENT idea! I do have some really nice emails saved with raving positive comments from buyers! I will try that idea for sure.
Take care!
Toni

jocelynsart
12-31-2003, 04:25 PM
you are very welcome!

pampe
12-31-2003, 05:59 PM
go for it

If Girelli's line can say...see the world through Sisille's eyes....*shrug*

surreal
12-31-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by tonigart
....I was thinking about doing some self-promotion with the subtitles and was wondering if it was too much and would turn buyers off or would it get them to look at my auctions out of curiosity? (and of course hopefully bid)

For example I may put "Toni's back!" or "Check out Toni's artwork, hottest new artist on Ebay" (that one may be a bit much), or "Hot new emerging artist". A lot artist do self-promotion in their listings but the info has more to do with awards and resume' type stuff. I am looking at the angle of a publicist.

I do have a small following and most of my paintings that I listed in the past had mulitple bidders, so I do think I have merit in putting something like that in the subtitles, even though it is fluffed up, ok ALOT of fluff.

I should just do it and see what happens but I am afraid others (in particular artists) will think I am pompus and stupid, or will they think, gee I should have done that?
My Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/id=10916076&ssPageName=L2

I encourage you to do any form of self-promotion that you consider to be tasteful!!!

I wouldn't worry about what other artists think.
You have to do what is in your best interests.
One can never please everyone!

Forge ahead with your promotion scheme!!!
:D

TeAnne
12-31-2003, 07:20 PM
I have TeAnne on some of mine when it fits. Noting wrong with self promotion :) hell, we need all the help we can get, especially with all that sweatshop art out there going cheap. :(

arlene
01-01-2004, 12:50 AM
definitely do it, and hope you don't mind if i take from you and do my own, with my own words of course. I actually think it's an excellent idea.

tonigart
01-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks Joss, Nina, TeAnne, Arlene, I appreciate your thoughts! When I start listing I will experiment with the sub-titles. I will definitely put in nice comments from my past customers there. I may use "emerging artist" in some. I think as long as they are tasteful and not pompous it may be a positive thing.

Have a great New Years Day!

Toni

surreal
01-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks Joss, Nina, TeAnne, Arlene, I appreciate your thoughts! When I start listing I will experiment with the sub-titles. I will definitely put in nice comments from my past customers there. I may use "emerging artist" in some. I think as long as they are tasteful and not pompous it may be a positive thing.

Have a great New Years Day!

Toni

I don't think the connotation of "emerging artist" is understand by a great many folk and I also don't think it is a helpful term for the purposes of self-promotion.

Just mho and my 2 cents!
:)

Paintbrush74
01-01-2004, 11:20 PM
What about saying something like "Truly Original Art; Not a Copy"? I'm putting that on some of mine. It's difficult to be seen when the first page and half the next are full of 1-cent paintings. I just made 2 $27 sales:( (8x10's), and maybe with that money, I'll justify an FP.

Lenora

jocelynsart
01-01-2004, 11:26 PM
With the ever growing amount of art being listed on eBay, anyhting that can help you stand out and for someone to take that extra minute to click on your auction, is worth trying.
That is a great point about not being a reproduction but an original piece of art. If I am not mistaken, Original Painting is a search term some browsers use.
Yup, do what feels right to you and don't worry. You need to worry about how you come across to browsers not the other artists selling.
Joss

wayfarer
01-02-2004, 01:30 AM
Hey, if you're wanting to do it, go for it! Each of us must be our biggest fan if we're to succeed.

Chris

surreal
01-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by wayfarer
.....Each of us must be our biggest fan if we're to succeed.

Chris

I can't agree more!
;)

CathyD
01-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Hey, if you're wanting to do it, go for it! Each of us must be our biggest fan if we're to succeed.

Here's my new years resolution... think and believe that I am already a successful, wonderful artist... it's easier to convince others of that if you aren't wasting your time trying convince yourself. :)
Cathy

tonigart
01-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will play with this on my new listings. I will even push the envelope with a few. As for emerging artist...What about "Toni Grote hot new emerging artist, buy my art while you can get it cheap." I think this is funny but may have crossed the line?? Any other thoughts? FYI: I doubt I will go that far but the thought crossed my mind!
Thanks!
Toni

surreal
01-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will play with this on my new listings. I will even push the envelope with a few. As for emerging artist...What about "Toni Grote hot new emerging artist, buy my art while you can get it cheap." I think this is funny but may have crossed the line?? Any other thoughts? FYI: I doubt I will go that far but the thought crossed my mind!
Thanks!
Toni

Not to belabor the point, but I still think that "emerging artist" is a term, the meaning of which, is not known to most people.
;)
There are even artists who don't know what the term means.

You are well on your way, Toni, to coming up with a great marketing line!

tonigart
01-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi Nina, you do bring up a good point. When I think about it I don't know for sure what emerging artist is either. I assumed it is an artist who is starting to be recognized for their art and is on their way to becoming a "big name" artist. To me emerging says that. But I have been wrong before.
Thanks!
toni

surreal
01-03-2004, 07:27 PM
I was having an email correspondence with a coworker of mine, who is extremely intelligent and very well educated.

She told me that she has just begun to paint with acrylic on canvas.

A few emails later she referred to herself as being an "emerging artist." After I explained the meaning of the term "emerging artist" to her, she began to refer to herself as a "beginning artist."

You and I know what the term means, but...............lots of folk out there are clueless!

;)

surreal
01-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Toni,
I think your idea of self promotion is fabulous!
I look forward to the phrase you come up with to promote yourself on ebay!