PDA

View Full Version : Master's project -Dante Gabriel Rossetti- NEW UPDATES!

Jazz
12-31-2003, 06:55 AM
I have decided that this will be my next endeavour:) , I know it is a difficult project but I feel I can make a good stab at it at the very least.

I did art history as part of my Degree and so was introduced to many fine artists and many, many fine periods of art. One of which was the Pre-Raphaelites and the Artist I have chosen was a founder member of the P.R Brotherhood.

I was lucky enough to visit the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, as a group we were left to our own devices and as I wandered through the different rooms one painting struck me out of all of the collections there. It is not very big in relation to many of the others but it was the luminosity of this great masterpiece that grabbed my attention and refused to let me go.

The picture is Dante Gabriel Rossetti's 'Girl At A Lattice- 1862', the colours are fabulous and the essential luminosity features heavily in her face and draws the viewers eye right to her face first, before we are allowed to take in the other details of this fabulous Oil Painting.

I am sorry if I am gushing but this piece had a powerful affect on me and still does, unfortunately the postcard print I have does not capture the luminosity or the richness of colour, but if you ever get to Cambridge go look at it and then you will see why it shines from the wall beside all the other featured paintings. As I wrote the original is relatively small measuring 305mm x 270mm.

If I cannot find a good copy on the internet then I will have to post the printed postcard I have, although as I say it really does not do it justice at all:mad: .

So I will go and do a search on the net first, then I will show you and I think I will be doing the whole painting rather than cropping it at all:) .

Big Hugs,

ALI

Lynn Larson
12-31-2003, 09:18 AM
Jazz, here is an awesome website for art and artists...

http://www.artrenewal.org/index.html

I think they have the painting you want. I can't wait to see it :D

gnu
12-31-2003, 03:16 PM
yup it's there..here's the link...hope it works!!
Girl at the lattice (http://www.artrenewal.org/images/artists/r/Rossetti_Dante_Gabriel/small/museum/Girl_at_a_Lattice.jpg)
can't wait to see these all develop...:clap: :clap:
oops Girl at A lattice..sorry..

jjsangel
12-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Way to go Ali.... I can't wait to see what you do. My link wouldn't let me see your ref photo but I'm going to look it up and see. I think this is a great project and I would love to do it but I don't know if I could do something like that. I will have to give it some thought. I know you will do an excellent job...

chatfieldstudios
12-31-2003, 04:59 PM
Hi Ali, Glad you have decided to join this project! I just checked out the link that llart posted to see your ref, but gnu's link directly to the pic didn't work for me...so I thought I would try a link as well. Can't wait to see what you do with this gorgeous masterpiece.

Girl at a Lattice (http://www.artrenewal.org/images/artists/r/Rossetti_Dante_Gabriel/large/Girl_at_a_Lattice.jpg)

tybalt
01-01-2004, 07:11 AM
I'd like to thank llart for posting a link to an incredible art site. I've been searching for online images of the pre-raphaelites for a few months now. How come Googles never led me to Artrenewal? Finding these treasure troves on the net is an added bonus to WetCanvas. :D

ZB3
01-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Good luck on this, Ali! :) I think Rossetti is my favorite 19th century artist. I missed the boat on this project, but I'll be following your progress interestedly. (Is that a word? :D )

I marked that artrenewal site. It's awesome! :)

Jan

kimo
01-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Ali - that is a beautiful painting! I can see why you were so taken by it.

I couldn't get the direct link to work either. Maybe if you click on this link and then go to the bottom of the page where the thumbnail of the painting is then click on it:

http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/art.asp?aid=76&page=3

frida
01-01-2004, 09:10 PM
I'll be watching this space with great interest!!! Actually, I haven't made any comments on any of the gorgeous work produced already for this project. I guess I am trying very hard not to be tempted... Have in my hands enough of a challenge for now!

So... you are getting me started, Ali! Thanks! :D And get going!!! Are you going to use Stonehenge?

Raquel

gealflings
01-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Heheh.. I swear I keep reading the title of the painting as "Girl with a lettuce". Picture it: A lovely oil painting of a lovely, forlorn looking (we all know all those portraits looked overly forlorn) beauty holding a head of lettuce....

>>sigh<<

:D

So? How's it going? Are you working on it?!?!

kimo
01-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Sarah - ROFLOL! You really crack me up!!!

frida
01-03-2004, 04:58 PM
This is the second time it happens to me with your posts, Ali...! The email notification tells me it is from Jazz but there's no post!!! :confused:

Jazz
01-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Do you mean on this thread Raquel? if so I think it is because my bloody internet connection is so shaky and tenuous that everytime I try and upload an image or even attach an image it throws a wobbly so this site thinks it is getting a post but then I am forced to disconnect because my connection stops receiving. It is causing me to use some really choice language I can tell you :mad: , lol. Anyway, I think that is why. If I want to send a written post -no probs if I want to peruse this site and the rest of the web - no problem -I try and include an image NO WAY!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :crying:

Sorry folks -this is really driving me nuts!!! I can't show you a copy of my chosen original, not at the moment anyway, I will try again once I have chewed the ear off someone at my phone company and see if my line can be improved once AGAIN!!!

Thank you all for your encouragement and the links you have provided -I very much appreciate it, even more so in the light of the problems I am having at the present!!!

Big Hugs to all,

ALI

frida
01-03-2004, 05:24 PM
It must be so frustrating for you, sweetie! We'll just have to be patient to see what you are doing on this project!!! :D

Jazz
01-14-2004, 06:25 PM
OK I think I can finally show you guys my copy of the 'Girl at a Lattice' so you can see how beautiful the original is before I totally ruin it in my version, lol. If this works I will then post again giving you a bit more background-OK?

Jazz
01-14-2004, 06:56 PM
OK for any art history buffs out there here is some background info On Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828 -82).

Born of Italian parents in London, Rossetti had a lifelong obsession with his namesake Dante. Impatient with the artistic training at the Royal Academy, he left to be apprenticed to Ford Madox Brown and became a founder member of the P.R. Brotherhood. Rossetti, as both poet and painter, oftne based his works on his own writings, which associates him with William Blake, of whom he was an early admirer. His poetic vision is more akin to the work of the Symbolists of the 1890's, for whom he was a major source of inspiration.
The Pre Raphaelites wanted to have genuine ideas to express, to sympathise with what is direct and serious and heartfelt in previous art, especially Italian art before Raphael -hence the name Pre -Raphaelite. The main figures in the movement were all very different artists, William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais and Dante Gabriel Rossetti, they were the founders.

The technical originality of the P.R lay in their exceptionally detailed brightly coloured painting on a wet white ground, the originality lay not in the 'white ground' but in the use of 'wet', covering the picture section by section. This gave to their works a brightness and luminosity which is, at its best, breathtaking!
The Pre- Raphaelites chose three basic types of subject, which are shown especially in the paintings of Holman Hunt and Millais in the 1850's. These were religious subjects, contemporary subjects often with a moral, religious or social message, or a somewhat allied painting, and subjects taken from the past -often the medieval romantic past and often illustrating the poetry of Keats or Tennyson or the Arthurian legends of Malory, an intense, obsessional and escapist world. This was not new but if anything it was the intensely serious approach of the P.R's which gave to the movement a cohesion and force, banishing any charges of triviality or popularity seeking, which the P.R's levelled at the painters of the 1840's.

The second phase(1857/8) was dominated by the visionary mysticism of Rossetti, whose obsession with Jane Morris gave to his later work, for instance 'The Day Dream', a heavy, almost repulsive erotic content and also, incidentally provided the prototype of the P.R. woman, with her long hair in rippling slightly frizzy waves and her eyes distantly preoccupied with some mystic yet not entirely unearthly vision.

Rossetti is entirely an English painter, although he was 75% Italian. One may call the sensuality of Rossetti un-english, but need only compare his women to those of the more sensuous contemporary French of Courbet or Renoir, to recognise how English his attitude to female beauty and its display really is.

are you bored to tears yet??? Do you want to know some stuff about this particular painting?? if so let me know and i will include it when I post my initial sketch -OK?

Big hugs to all,

ALI

gealflings
01-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Awesome information, little miss library pants. :P I can't wait to see what you do with it!! >>whipcrack<<

JulieBoyles
01-15-2004, 03:56 PM
WOW! This is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see how you start it and your color chart!

Update yet????

Julie

Karen Cardinal
01-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Great work you chose there Ali!

I can't wait to see what you do with it!

btw: Thanks for the great info. I love hearing the background info on these works and artists.

Jazz
01-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Thank you for the support ladies :D ,

I would have an update for you Julie but it wont show up -I tried to scan it yesterday as I am not proficient enough with my new digi camera yet but the sketch and white pencil would not show up, so I will show you an update as soon as I have some more colour on it okey doke?

I will however have the colour chart to show folks by Monday, jay arrives tomorrow evening and I never come on here when he is here unless I can't sleep and he is already in the land of nod. Neither do I pursue my art when he is only here for two days and three evenings so the next update will be Monday night and it will be the colour chart and a better sketch outline so you can see what I have done so far, the best I can do for now -sorry!

I here ya Sarah!! LOL crack your whip I am getting there.....I promise, hehehehe
Hey! and can I help it if I am an anally retentive egg head??? hehehehe I will include some background info on the painting and the featured subjects in the painting on monday too :)

Love Ya!!

ALI

rollow
01-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the support ladies :D ,

I would have an update for you Julie but it wont show up -I tried to scan it yesterday as I am not proficient enough with my new digi camera yet but the sketch and white pencil would not show up, so I will show you an update as soon as I have some more colour on it okey doke?

I will however have the colour chart to show folks by Monday, jay arrives tomorrow evening and I never come on here when he is here unless I can't sleep and he is already in the land of nod. Neither do I pursue my art when he is only here for two days and three evenings so the next update will be Monday night and it will be the colour chart and a better sketch outline so you can see what I have done so far, the best I can do for now -sorry!

I here ya Sarah!! LOL crack your whip I am getting there.....I promise, hehehehe
Hey! and can I help it if I am an anally retentive egg head??? hehehehe I will include some background info on the painting and the featured subjects in the painting on monday too :)

Love Ya!!

ALI

Ali,

A great masterpiece to choose, indeed. Can't wait to see the WIP's on this one.

Ron

Lahree
01-16-2004, 07:30 PM
I love Rossetti (I think that's probably a big DUH around here) and I really love the expression on this girl's face. She is not what I would consider his usual rosebud-lipped, bedroom-eyed beauty, but her face is sweet and gentle and beautiful. I can hardly wait to see the sketch! I have complete confidence in you! You GO girl!

Jazz
01-20-2004, 05:27 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your encouragement on this I need it :D I have been floundering a bit with this as once I had the initial sketch I was unsure of myself as to what to do next? Anyway, what I have done is go over the main facial features with Prismacolor Henna so you fine people can see it and tell me if I need to change anything, is there anything drastically wrong with it and do you like my crop and composition???

All critiques and comments more than welcome, I know I have chosen to do it at a strange angle but it came to me when I first was deciding on my crop and strange or not I still love it- so there :p hehehe!

Anyway, I did promise you some notes on the background of the painting so here goes, prepare to fall asleep (make sure you are comfortable and have a pillow! :D ).

This charming and informal painting is a domestic version of his familiar shoulder -length portraits of women. It was painted shortly after Lizzie Siddal his wife committed suicide (which Rossetti covered up). The sitter for this piece was the Brown's young Irish maid at their house in Hampstead. Where Rossetti stayed for a time, unable to face returning to Chatham Place after his wife's suicide.
The rotten windowsill suggests that it was taken from a real window at the house, and the small, unpretentious jug and saucer, Staffordshire blue and white rather than the exotic oriental china Rossetti later collected, was certainly Brown's.
The slightly incongruous gold and coral necklace was Rossetti's own and appears in many of his pictures. A year later Brown painted the same girl in a similar composition an unexpected and probably unconscious homage from master to pupil.

This painting encapsulates all Rossetti is known for and it is beautiful in its luminosity.

Big hugs to you all for your positive and motivational comments :) .

ALI

Jazz
01-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Is anyone going to comment please?? I know my sketch is not easy to see but I can see the main outlines, can someone tell me if it looks ok -I want to start the colour phase of it but I need to make any corrctions you guys see first, so please let me know what you think?

Big Hugs,

ALI

gealflings
01-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey hey hey dahlin. :) Sorry I haven't commented before now - busy busy busy busy busy...

I think it looks good - it's really hard to tell since it's so light, but it looks good from here. Just start on it already!!! hehehehe :evil:

Take care, luv. You'll do a wonderful job on it, I'm sure. No stressing!!!

MsLilypond
01-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Well I copy a your drawing and I copied your reference and overlaid your drawing over the ref. in photoshop, it looks like your eyes need to be moved down about a 1/4". And I'm Uploading what I did so you can see.

Reverie, why did you say you missed the boat on this project, it's open to anyone at anytime, there isn't a time limit

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2004/19844-Untitled-1_copy.jpg[/IMG]

frida
01-22-2004, 11:36 AM
I have been thinking hard about this one, sweetie, as I find it quite puzzling...

First of all, is your paper the rectangle seen on an angle? It would be easier to comment on the composition if you scan it straight. Also it's not easy to see. :(

Then... when I try to picture it straight, that is, the way it would look framed, hanging on a wall, I get really confused! :confused: The face would be at an odd angle then...

OR... are you also cropping the paper on an angle (EDIT) within a frame???

I know I am looking for the logic in all this, when you are following a flight of fancy, which is fine. It is probably one of those ideas that gets the message across once finished, since it's hard to see before then. Anyway, what is your idea? Apart from that flash of inspiration that made you do it, how do you see it working on its favour? I find the whole idea sliding into conceptual art... ;)

Karen Cardinal
01-22-2004, 11:37 AM
So sorry I didn't see your update Ali!

Love the angle! That is sooooooo creative!

I'll wait to see what Michelle has with the overlay.
(I'm no good at that... can never get anything to line up right)

The only thing I can see just by looking is you might want to double check the hairline. It seems like it may be a little off right now.

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this!
Get painting! :D

wet
01-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Ali everyday I check to see your lady........still checking! and waiting.Sigh. Can't give instructions of portraits but still very excited to see what you will do with her. Check back tommorrow didn't want you to think I was ignoring your lattice lady!! :D wanda

MsLilypond
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2004/19844-Untitled-1_copy.jpg

I'm still working out the uploader and attachment thing, but if you copy the above and paste it in your address bar it'll take you to the pic with the overlay!

Jazz
01-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys,

I know it is very hard to see :o sorry, I didn't want to go to dark as I thought I might have to make alterations and it seems I am right :D . Thank you all for stopping by especially as I know there is not much to see.

Thank you Sarah Honey, I know your busy -no probs! I only really left another message on here so it would get pushed back up to the top of the page :) . I know....I know.... I need a severe kick up the butt, I really don't want this one going the same way as my last one....phew!!! that really would upset me!

Michelle -thank you so much for taking the time to do that overlay for me it really hepls me see where I have gone wrong, I soooo... appreciate that! I must learn how to do that for myself. Thank you your observations are very helpful -I knew really about the eyes being too high but I did not realise the left side of her face was so off?? After seeing your overlay I can see what I need to do, so thank you again :D .

Awwww...Raquel, sorry honey I did not mean to make it confusing, I did it on a whim, I just fancied trying a different crop is all and so I went for a diamond shape with the top above her head and the bottom point below her kneck -can you see what I was going for now? If not hon I will send you a scanned version that is straight then maybe your eyes will adjust and see where I am coming from? please don't worry about it though, once I have colour on her face you might be able to read it right, but thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment nevertheless, I can see why it would throw people so dont worry :)

Thank you so much karen for coming and having a look I really appreciate it, how is your back doing? Yeh, after seeing Michelle's overlay I can totally see what you mean about the hairline, thanks for that :) .Do you really think the angle works? It was chosen on a whim when i was deciding on what crop to use, do you think it works? Thanks again for stopping by :)

Hiya! Wanda, sorry hon. I know I am a real slowcoach but I promise next week I will have some proper progress to show you all that you can all see clearly, lol. But I appreciate you leaving a comment to let me know you are hovering -thank you!

Right I am gonna make some changes thanks to Michelle and Karen and then I will show it to you all when I fill in the background, at least then you will see her outline properly and I will finally :rolleyes: hehehe include my colour chart (damn thing :evil: :p to Arlene, I love you but you still get a smilie with a tongue sticking out, hehehehe).

Big Hugs to all,

ALI

Jazz
02-03-2004, 04:10 AM
OK I am hoping this will show a little better what my plan is with this, I am afraid there is still no colour chart mainly because I am one humongous chicken and it terrifies me, so although I have thought about it it is still not done :( .

Anyway, all I ahve done on this is add a few base layers so hopefully you can see a little better what I have done. The background layer is very rough but dont worry it will smooth out as I add other layers of colour. I have used a layer of white and cream and then Deco peach on her face and neck.

Meisie
02-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Now how come I've missed this one? hmmmm? Anyway now I found it, and am sticking around to see it done (even without color charts! :eek: :p ;) )

I like the unusual crop, frame it like that and you may find folks 'straightening' it for you :D

Meisie

cpart
02-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi Ali

Looks like this is going to be an interesting painting to follow. Looking for ward to seeing more.

Stu

marilyn h
02-03-2004, 08:37 AM
look who's using their digi camera. Another masterpiece in progress.

wet
02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Oh goody an update!!! Looking great more please! ;) wanda

gealflings
02-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Nubile maidens, eh? :D Are you enjoying the process a bit more now?

Elankat
02-03-2004, 02:37 PM
OK I am hoping this will show a little better what my plan is with this, I am afraid there is still no colour chart mainly because I am one humongous chicken and it terrifies me, so although I have thought about it it is still not done :( .

Stop right now and do your color chart. It is a major portion of the project because it forces you to really think about the colors and how you wil layer BEFORE you start the piece.

Jazz
02-03-2004, 08:33 PM
ahhhhhhhh......Leanne do I have to?? ::sulks in her chair:: :confused: ;) that is what has put me off doing this piece - I just dont know where to start with that? -Help? How do you go about starting a colour chart? My problem is I am an instinctive user of colour so being forced to think about it has left me creatively high and dry :confused: . I want to but I dont no where to begin with it. Thank you for stopping by I really appreciate it :)

meisie -yes, lol I think it was th devil on my shoulder that made me do it at that angle!! :evil: I knew some ppl would find it unsettling and I do intend to eventually frame it at that angle :D . Thanks for dropping by :) .

Stu -Thank you for stopping by -I know there is not alot to see right now -hopefully the next shot you see will be much easier to see and evaluate.

Marilyn -I know, I know I was soooo..excited to finally have the courage to use it!! I guess it could have been a worse shot? ! Thank you so much for stoppin by and the support means a lot :) .

Sarah -I just knew someone would mention that!! ROFL and that someone had to be you -should have guessed, hehehehehehe I was until leanne wrote that I have to do my colour chart ::grumble...whisper...curse...grumble:: LOL I guess I better bite the bullet and get it done, thank you for showing your support hon :) .

Ok -Onwards and upwards, tomorrow is do my colour chart day -arghhhhhh!! Can someone give me some idea where to start with that, I think that would really help me get it done as right now I dont know where to begin with the darn thing :) .

Big Hugs to all you kind people,

ALI

Jazz
02-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Sorry Wanda, I know its not much of an update, hopefully my next one will be easier to see and be much further along. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting I really appreciate it :) .

Big Hugs,

ALI

pencils4me
02-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey Ali!

What a fun piece, and so unique. Can I hang around and watch too? :)

TJ

Elankat
02-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Ali, take a look at Cindy's (ChatfieldStudio) master's piece. She just posted a great example of how to approach the color chart.

Jazz
02-20-2004, 10:16 AM
OK I finally overcame my cowardice :o LOL and I have a bit of an update to show you guys and part of the colour chart, I cant' show you all of it yet as I have to do it over and neater to be able to put it all on one page so you can see it properly (I am not very good at working small :o )

Anyway, first the colour chart in part -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2004/19425-part_of_colour_chartreduced_file.jpg

Now my sketch with some colour added to it, I am really struggling with this and i am hoping once I start to lay down some more colour and shading it will improve! I am not going to alter her features anymore apart from maybe her nose and I am hoping to do that whilst shading it.

Anyway, please tell me what you think OK I really do need all the expert guidance out there for this one especially :o ,-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2004/19425-beginning_of_masters_projectreduced_file.jpg

Thank you everyone! :) Hopefully now that I have finally overcome my fear with the colour chart this picture will progress a lot quicker.

Thank you Leanne for the heads up about Cindy's colour chart and thank you Cindy for doing such a great example that I could follow easily.

Big Hugs,

ALI

gealflings
02-20-2004, 10:27 AM
It's lookin' good!!! Look at you making all this progress!!! :D :D Keep on with it - I wanna seeeeeeeee!!

chatfieldstudios
02-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Ali, Looking good! Just keep going :) I'm glad to see you are working on your background first, and the beginnings of the eyes are the logical place to start for a portrait. Don't work the eyes too much before you work the rest of the picture. I also put down some beginning colors in the shadow areas of the face so I didn't loose my drawing. It was not too long ago I was so afraid to put pencil to paper. Glad the color chart helped you :) I actually have about 7 more colors to add to my chart.

Jazz
02-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Thank you Sarah for being the first to comment and for encouraging me you know how much I appreciate that :) .

Thanks to Cindy I really appreciate your advice I am not liking this portrait at the moment I guess that is one of the reasons I am struggling, I guess it is always easier to work a lot when things are going the way you want them too :) . I will try and add some of my colours to the shadow areas next then as you say and then i will work some on her hair as I think that is important too as it will affect the values in her face as well wont it?

This is only my second ever CP piece and my very first portrait done in CP so bare with me I am trying :) . I hope to start enjoying it soon, lol.

Big Hugs to you both for your support, MY! do I need it :D ,

ALI

chatfieldstudios
02-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Ali, I sooooo understand the struggle. The hardest part for me is just "starting". Then I think I have some sort of focus problem...I don't believe I have ADD or ADHD but I can only sit still for a few minutes. I work and then get up and walk around, work, then walk...it's the most bizarre thing. As for starting, I have devised this little system that works for me. I always leave a piece so that the very next thing I have to do is easy and I don't have to solve any problems to start working on it. That way, once I have done that easy thing then I am more likely to solve the next problem. It used to be that I would work until I was "stumped" by a problem but I could never bring myself to sit down and figure it out.

You will find your own way! And this is supposed to be enjoyable, even fun...not stressful. I just wanted you to know that even though you seem to be amazed that I have a finished piece done about once a week......it's a struggle....a good struggle...but a struggle nonetheless. Heck, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Colored pencil is not for the faint of heart :D You have a strong heart, Ali!!

Jazz
02-20-2004, 12:18 PM
OK my final progress shot for today, I am much happier with the way this is coming along now, thank god!! :D

All comments and critiques very welcome :) -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2004/19425-progress_on_masters_projectreduced_file.jpg

Meisie
02-20-2004, 01:20 PM
OOOOh! She is becoming visible! Yipeee!
I'm staying tuned!
Meisie

frida
02-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Yes!!! She's taking shape...! :clap: You can do it...! :D The eyes have a dreamy expression already...

Jazz
02-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Thank you so much Cindy, Meisie and Raquel and Sarah,

I really, really appreciate that you have bothered to take the time to comment, Everyone knows that I greatly appreciate the encouragement and need critiques as I am a newbie at CP's and so when someone does take the time to leave a nice and informative comment I am very appreciative, so thank you Ladies.

I will be posting another update when i have completed some more later this evening I hope that gets some more feedback as I need it with this project. As I wrote to Cindy this is only my second EVER CP painting so all encouragement and advice is very much needed and appreciated greatly plus it is my first ever Portrait in CP. I hope I am not being interpreted as ungrateful because both Raquel and Sarah know how important the people on this forum are to me and my growth in this new and exciting Medium.

Thank you Guys :) ,

Huge hugs to you,

ALI

sunnyday54
02-22-2004, 02:10 PM
She's coming along nicely, Ali. Lookin forward to your next post.

Lynda

jjsangel
02-24-2004, 11:55 PM
Hey ya Ali,

This is looking good hon. I like the unusual angle. Gives it an edge. Her face is really starting to take shape. She looks very pretty. I can't give a whole lot of critique since I don't do portraits, but I think it is looking good. I thought about this project, but I'm not as brave as you. I sketched out a picture but I don't know if it is even in the right catagory but have been chicken to even begin. I agree with the color chart. It is a little intimidating to begin with. I never figure out the colors first. I just decide as I go along, so that would be hard for me. Looks like you did a pretty good job at it though. I think this is going to turn out great, just like your lilies. You are so brave to try this for your second colored pencil piece, but I have all the confidence in the world in you that you will make it great.

Love and Hugs
Sharon

Jazz
02-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Hiya! Sharon :) ,

Thankyou so much for stopping by I know how incredibly busy you are so it means a lot :) . I am thrilled that you like my quirky angle, lol I did it for fun mainly seeing as this one will only be hanging on one of my walls :D .

Awww.. honey please post your sketch I am absolutely certain that it will be wonderful! so please find the courage to, do you want to send me a copy through by e-mail first? would that reassure you?

I know I must be crazy doin this one as my second CP attempt, LOL I am a glutton for punishment but I am really enjoying it now :D .

I am going to put another update up -I hope it is not too soon as I have put down most of the first layers now and next I will be building up the layers with some grisaille work and some just local colours.

ALL critiques welcome I am on a steep learning curve so all advice and tips more than welcome :) -

I have also included a close up which will help you see it better, I do hacve several layers on her face, I started with white then cream and have added a pink (cant remember which one). her skin tones are quite yellow so I am trying to keep her looking healthy and warm in tone by adding a little pink and i will be adding mineral orange for the same reason but my colour chart shows all the other colours I intend using.

Any questions about what I am doing are also very welcome -fire away?LOL

OK first whole shot -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2004/19425-second_progress_shotreduced_file.jpg

The first 2 layers on her hair is Black grape and it will be followed by Raspberry as on close inspection of her hair it seems quite purple in places and has a lot of red tones, to bring out the lgither areas I will also be using Henna.

Next the close up of her face -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2004/19425-close_up_of_second_progress_shotreduced_file.jpg

On this one if you look very closely at her right eye(viewers right) at the right bottom of it you will see a little spot -that was caused by my blu-tac lifting a layer of paper off. There is another area in the iris area fortunately I was able to go over it....phew! I have much more work to do on her irises they are not finished and as I wrote further up there are several layers on her face already but many more to come. I provided the close up in hope that you could see that there are a few layers there and also so you can point out anything glaringly wrong :) .

Thanks Lynda for responding to my last update I really appreciate that I am glad you think it is going OK :)

Ok back to work on her now,

Big Hugs,

ALI

gealflings
02-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Oooh, makin progress now! It's looking good, darlin - the only oddness I can see is her lips may be a little too full... I can't wait to see you get some good skin tones on her, give her nose some good form and all - keep on plugging, and STOP WORRYING ABOUT THINGS! :evil: You're doing great, you should be proud!

criquette
02-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Wow Ali..........I can't believe this is only your second cp piece.....and to attempt the Masters Project!! I was intimidated with the eggs........am following with much interest in hopes that it will help me with my animals. Glad to see I am not the only one at a loss as to what colors to use. She is going to be a beautiful lady....love the dreamy look in her eyes. :D

Jazz
02-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Aaaahhh! Sarah I see what you mean :) , fortunately at this stage it is easy to remedy that, I took another look at my original aftr reading your comment and I can see it very clearly now..DUH?! :confused: :D LOL isn't that odd how it takes someone else to point that stuff out, I never would have seen it -thank you honey! Yes, the nose is my greatest worry -I know its not quite right at the moment but at least I can see that so I should be able to alter it some :). Iam not worrying about it anymore I am enjoying it immensely now that I have got my head round motivating myself to work -YEHHHHH!!! :clap: That I AM proud about, it was and is a big step for me :D . Thankyou for stopping by honey your the best!

Hiya! criquette, thank you so much for taking a look and commenting I really do appreciate it :) .Yes, I know the colour thing really frightens me sometimes but its all experience and I am learnin to really study my references and see all the colours before I lay any colour down. PLus, I am also trying to work by shapes instead of getting lost in the whole thing -thanks to the folks here :) . I am glad to have you along for the ride!

Big Hugs,

Back to the drawing board for me :D

ALI

arlene
02-25-2004, 01:02 PM
ali i wish i had time to read through all your comments. ;) You're on the right tract...keep going and stop obsessing.

wet
02-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Finally an update!! So glad you are taking the plunge and doing this. It's coming along great and will be watching! :D wanda

Jazz
02-25-2004, 02:23 PM
OK for a couple of hours work I think I have made a lot of progress, plus I thought you might all get a real laugh out of this -I have been :D . Don't worry she isn't going to stay this way but I think here I have captured the epitome of 'ugly stage' HEHEHEHE!

One was with flash and one in just artificial light :D she sooo... cracks me up at the moment I had to share, LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2004/19425-bad_face_day_progress_shotreduced_file.jpg

I am showing two because they look a bit different depending on which lighting I used -anyway enjoy having a laugh :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2004/19425-no2_bad_face_dayreduced_file.jpg

Like I previously wrote I have many more layers to go yet so hopefully she wont stay that way, LOL ;) .

Fleur
02-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Ali!
You are one brave person! I love the picture.... I wonder what she's thinking in that painting? And you've certainly caught the expression.

You are brave, brave brave! One of the reasons amongst others ( :D ) that I haven't attempted this project so far, si because I'm terrified of trying to colour chart... mainly because I have no idea what colours will eventually lead to what...!

The other of the many reasons, is that how could I even attempt something that has been done by some amazing artist?!
I know I know.... that's how you learn! Scarey though.
I love what you have done so far, and I don't think she's ugly at the moment! She's in the process of becoming beautiful and I look forward to seeing the final result!
Have fun!
Take care
Fleur

Karen Cardinal
02-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Ali, this is going wonderfully!
I think your "ugly" stage looks terrific! You're laying in the colors that will mold her face so well. I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with her next.

btw: I love your unique angle on this portrait even more now. :clap:

gnu
02-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Yup you're at the ugly stage..except for her eyes..:)
just gaze at those eyes whenever you think it's too cartoony, and it will remind you where you're heading!!
Looks like you've mostly done one layer in hair and background, is that right?
so far so good..I think the stroke you're using for the hair is a good choice, but I can't give an expert comment on the face, haven't done one yet!:D:D
just keep the strokes there very very soft and you should be happy with each layer..
Actually I think you've made her prettier, I didn't actually think the original was that pretty...so it's become 'your' portrait of her..those eyes are magnetising.. :clap: :clap:
you may want to consider the darks soon adding in the tonal ranges...I find it's easier to know how many layers to do when you've got more tones underway..however I know we all work differently..
looking forward to next step Ali...
Gill

Jazz
02-27-2004, 02:50 AM
Hiya! Guys :) ,

Thank you so, so much for your fantastic comments and your tips and observations -its very helpful to me so thank you :) .

Gill, you will be glad to see that I am indeed adding in some of my darks around her at the moment, I have a long way to go but quite a lot of work has been done since the last update as I hope all will see.

I have added crimson red 924 to the background -still about ten layers to go on there, the red has gone on top of the peacock blue 1027, it will eventually be slightly darker than her hair is in the original.

On her hair I have added another layer of grape 996 and on top of that has gone Raspberry 1030 which has two layers, next will be some more grape a touch of brown and then i will work in some Henna to the lightest areas.

I have got my flowers in the bottom right corner (viewers right) sketched in and the leaves are in crimson red right now. her beaded necklace has been a nightmare to get right and it has two layers of Magenta 930 on it.

I have worked at shaping her nose and think I have finally got it right -it needs tons more layers and modelling but the basic shape is now there :) , I have also worked a little on the darkest part of her mouth after making a slight alteration from Sarah's observation that it was too full -I hope that is fixed now -the dark area is Rasperry 1030.

Finally I have worked on her eyes -they also still have an awful lot of shaping to do but the iris's are done as are the whites of her eyes, I have provided a close up of them so you can see the detail involved in what I have done :) .

ALL comments and critiques very very welcome :) -

There are two full shots because again ther are variations in colour depending on whether I use a flash or rely on natural light, so you see which one you think works best OK? Finally will be the close up of the eyes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2004/19425-third_updatereduced_file.jpg

Next shot -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2004/19425-third_update_2reduced_file.jpg

Finally the close up -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2004/19425-third_update_close_up_of_eyesreduced_file.jpg

One final point to make is that you will note obviously I am no where near completing her skin I have a fair load of layers to go -presently she has about 4-5 layers on there and some modelling areas as well.

Thank you so much for looking I very much appreciate every comment I receive,

Big Hugs,

ALI

gnu
02-27-2004, 03:10 AM
HEY you are doing so well!! :clap:
I'd forgotten how dark her hair was!! the colours you're doing will make it so rich..
you have such a light touch..on her face esp!! that close up is a really useful tool..thanks, I must remember to do this too...
wow that necklace is beaded..I never noticed..I'm sure if you watch the little areas of light and dark and darker lines, you will pull off the look fine..
the second pic(natural light?) adds a more yellow tone..I suppose it depends on which one you think is closer??
I found I nearly always have to adjust the white balance on my photos to take the blue right down..rarely have to alter the other colours at all..
thanks for all the colour info..it's really helpful..

Jazz
02-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi! Gill :) ,

Thank you so much for leaving a comment I really appreciate it -I am having so much fun with this piece, especially her face, I kow its all strange colours right now but I am taking my inspiration from Karens stunning portraits and trying to use strong colours to build up the shape of her face before adding more skin like tones to blend and finish her skin.

I was knocked off my socks when I first saw Karens method and would love to learn to emulate it -I am trying! :)

Yes, I wanted to provide a close up so you all could see that there is actually a lot of work in her face, especially her eyes -the modelling of the eyes is not finished -a long way to go but the main eye itself is complete.

I know I had to really look close at her hair to see the red and henna lights in it but they are most certainly there. I know she is not the prettiest of Rossetti's girls but then she is not one of his usual models seeing as she was the Madox Browns maid.

So Marie-Dom, you can imagine what she is thinking when you know she is a maid and the fact that she is looking out of the window -no doubt longing for her one day off so she can enjoy the fresh air.I think that is what I see in her eyes anyway -she is dreaming about when she is free from her duties -she has the slightest smile playing on her lips to go with that faraway gaze -I think she is thinking of nicer times :) .

Thank you guys for commenting I really appreciate it, I got the title changed to try and help make ppl see that I am working on her quite fast so there are lots of updates :) .

I am going to include the original here again so it is easier for ppl to compare, rather than having to pop back to the beginning.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2004/19425-Girl_at_a_Lattice.jpg

Huge hugs to all that have commented,

ALI

Karen Cardinal
02-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Ali thank you so much for your compliment on my wacky method! I seem to take the opposite approach (putting all the strong colors down first) than many of the cp portrait artist do. It's wonderful to know someone likes it. :D

I love how your lady is going so far! Are you enjoying the process of finding all the hidden colors? It's like an easter egg hunt isn't it. :D

I am excited that you're really getting into this one and enjoying it!
btw: I did send you a little something. Did you get my last email?

You keep going and having a ball with it.
Can't wait to see more!

gealflings
02-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Ali darlin - she's lookin' good!! I'm going to be your official nitpicker. bwahahaha.. I love the color of her eyes - such a weird reddishpurpley color. Very cool.. I'm so glad you're finally getting into this one and enjoying the process/progress - it's about time!!! :D Now, the only thing I can see is her nose is too narrow. See how on our right you have the line of the nose going straight down from her brow - on the reference picture, it angles to the right instead of going straight down.

Other than that, I think you've got it nailed, darlin!! :clap:

jjsangel
02-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey Ali,

Wow, you are doing such a great job at this. You have really captured the look. And the wistfull dreamy look she has. I like your discription of her thoughts. I think you just might be right.. I do agree with Sarah about the nose being a little straight, but everything else seems right on. I think she is going to be just beautiful.

Your friend and fan,
Big Hugs,
Sharon

Fleur
03-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Ali, I am in AWE!
This is sooo good so far. Hurry up, I want to see the final result too!
Marie-Dom
x :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jazz
03-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Thank you so much guys I really appreciate your input and consistent encouragement -it really helps!!

I have a new update for you and hopefully you will see Sarah and Sharon that I have corrected the nose as much as I dare -I think it looks alot better, I know its not accurate still but I am pleased with how it looks now and I don't think I can go any further with correcting that particular part But don't hesitate to point anything else out you feel needs my attention OK?

The first shot is of most of the whole thing and you will see that now i have filled in all the white paper that was showing, which I am really pleased about! The image is pretty accurate colour wise but the second one isn't and I didn't want to fiddle to much with it as I dont want to waste time messing about with it but its mainly to show you that I have worked more on the face and adding the darker areas, still a very long way to go on that though, many layers left to apply yet ;) .

OK first one -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2004/19425-Fourth_update_of_masters_projectreduced_file.jpg

I have used the complementary Grisaille technique in places as you will see and in others have just been building up various colours to get the local colour i want. I have to stress again that I still have a long way to go but its really starting to look as it should now, especially now i have the paper covered and I am building up my dark areas. I have used some Indigo Blue 901 in some of the darkest areas, like under her chin and it looks a bit like a bruise under there right now but i still have work to do with that too, lol so hopefully eventually it wont look like a bruise :eek: :D

I am still being very tentative with her face as I would really hate to ruin it at this juncture and so although I have worked a lot on her face it might not be terribly obvious. This is why I have provided the next shot so hopefully you can see the difference between the last update and this one :) .

Anyway here it is -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2004/19425-close_up_of_fourth_updatereduced_file.jpg

I hope you can see just how much work I have done since the last update, I have worked quite hard on her and I am still working everyday on her -I just have to make sure its in 20 minute bursts otherwise I get to sore and have to stop completely for the evening. Other than last week when i managed to stay at it for a couple of hours!!! :eek: But I did have to then go and rest, LOL

All critiques and comments very welcome :) ,

Big hugs to you all for staying with me on this,

ALI

jjsangel
03-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Hey Ali,

She is looking beautiful. Her nose looks much better (it wasn't real bad before, just off a bit) The colors are coming along very nicely. I see you have added some color to her hand and the flower which brings it more together. I think she is even more beautiful than the original. I'm sure as you go along the bruise ..lol... with be just fine and it will blend in like you wish. I can't wait to see how this turns out cause I think it is going to be great...

Love and Hugs
Sharon

gealflings
03-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Ali!!!!! It's looking wonderful!! You're doing such a good job - the nose does look better (like Sharon said, it didn't look bad before; I was just nitpicking..lol) It looks sooo good right now - I hope you're enjoying it like crazy!! :D :D :D

Karen Cardinal
03-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Ali she's looking terrific!
I'm tickled that you're having fun with her now.

She's really starting to develop into the beauty that she'll become now. I can see it. :clap:

Are you having a lot of fun with your colors now?
There are so many great ways to make skin tones. You will definately want to play with them all (well maybe not all of them on the same portrait ;) ) to find one you enjoy. And after you've experimented with other techniques you may just decide to make up your own way to do it. ;)

Take your time and enjoy the process.
You are doing terrific here! :D

Meisie
03-04-2004, 03:49 AM
She's looking good!!! :)
Meisie

gnu
03-04-2004, 03:56 AM
It's coming along nicely Ali..:)
as for staying with you, that's what this is all about..it's FUN to follow along..
You've done heaps...it's really getting to look a lot richer..
don't blame you with the face..I'd be the same!!
do you find you have to get the 'feel ' for using CP's again if you have a break..I do..like I'm scared I'll forget how to apply it!!(not to mention picking the colours..)
enjoying the progress..
Gill

Fleur
03-04-2004, 04:17 AM
Gosh Ali! She's coming on really well, and looking really beautiful. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with her nose! ;) Keep at it. This is going to be superb!
Love
Marie-Dom
x

arlene
03-04-2004, 09:33 AM
you mean you're not finished yet? :0 Ali why did you choose to draw it on the angle it is?

JulieBoyles
03-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Ali this is coming along great! Your skin tones are looking good so far! :clap: Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying watching your progress!

Julie

Jazz
03-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Corrrrr.... a girl goes away for a nap and comes back to find all these fabulous comments :eek: :D . Thank you soooo ... much guys!!

Ok firstly, Yes Gill I have an awful time getting back into it if I am forced to take a break , which is why I now try to do a little every day and it keeps my motivation up and also allows me to maintain my motivation and excitement in my project. Thank you for staying with me and I am so glad you are having fun watching! :)

Karen, I am having an absolute ball with my colours!! :clap: I am looking forward to having a go at your new project for that very reason ;) .

Sarah -I couldn't be enjoying it more!!! :D Thanks for nitpicking for me -I need it -I am thrilled that you think her nose is looking a lot better as you know I know its still not accurate but I feel I can't do anything more about that.

Sharon -I am thrilled you think she is looking beautiful -I try my best, LOL. ;)

Meisie -thank you so much for looking in and taking the time to let me know you are still watching -I appreciate it very much :D .

Marie -Dom - Hiya! Honey -Thank you for your amazing support and I am thrilled you think I am doing good!! :D her nose was slightly off and it was bothering me and thanks to Sarah -I felt compelled to have a go at correcting it and I am really pleased I did :) .

LOL -Arlene -you know its your fault I am not finished!! If it hadn't been for you showing me and supporting me through my first try at Complementary Grisaille, I might have been using a faster but less effective method, so there :p LOL I am building it up layer by layer but have to stop every twenty mintues or so for a break, but its getting there , also remember my fiance Jay is here at the weekends and although he does not mind me working at my art -I prefer to give him my time as we only get the weekends:D .

With regards the angle thing??......Hmmmm..... I remember thinking at the time that I wanted to try something different and also there were certain elements of the original I wanted to inlcude in my crop and I found this was the best method of doing that. Why do you ask? does the strangeness of it bother you? I know it is having that effect on some -whilst others have really liked it, I guess it is really no different for me than if I had chosen to do a circular composition. I would be interested to know what you think about it and whether it works for your artistic eye? The different responses I have had to it have been very interesting :) .

Julie -I am so glad you popped in -so you like how the skin is coming? thats great! Now i have two portraitists approval on it so I feel excellent!!!! It's my first try you know at a portrait in colour, thank you so much for commenting!

Thank you again Folks I really appreciate any and all feedback so feel free whenever the urge takes you :D .

Right i am off to work on it some more before I get Arlene's hammer, LOL ;)

If not tonight I will have another update come Tuesday evening (my evening).

Huge hugs to you all,

ALI

wet
03-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Ali just popped in for an update....this is really coming along beautifully!!! Thanks for putting the original up again I have dial up and it is painful to go back and forth to comment. :( I love the look on her face but I don't get the impression shes thinking about her day off I think she's thinking about jumping the gardener!!! :D :evil: wanda ps glad you are having fun!!

Jazz
03-04-2004, 06:23 PM
ROFL -Wanda -you could be right!!! lady Chatterley all over again but minus the status issue, LOL. I know I have dial up to so that is why I did it, I am glad it helps :)

Thank you so much for popping in, just so you don't have to keep checking, if you check back in Tuesday, there will be another update, hopefully with some real substantial progress made (finger's crossed) :) .

Big Hugs,

ALI

arlene
03-04-2004, 09:24 PM
i think as a diamond i would have preferred the crop, but ya know? it provokes thought this way. and sure, blame it all on me ;)

Jazz
03-04-2004, 09:44 PM
I know what you mean Arlene, originally the diamond shaped crop was what I thought of doing but then, for what Iwanted to include I would have ended up having to incude most of the original painting -this way I cut out more :) .

Who else would I blame, hehehehehe! You were the one to introduce me to this method so its ALLLLLL your fault!! hehehehehe but i am glad you did because after completing 'Lilypads' I can see the benefits of layering lightly and using complements so thank you Arlene.

On this one I am experimenting more with my colours and I am really enjoying it, not obsessing at all :) .

Thanks for responding Arlene and thinking about my choices -I hope it provokes mostly good thought! ;)

Big Hugs,

ALI

frida
03-04-2004, 09:55 PM
You are doing a terrific job, Ali! :clap: I also think she looks prettier than the original...! Why not? But you've got the dreamy, puzzling expression, mmmm...... weekend off or the gardener? ;) It's almost like another enigmatic Mona Lisa, isn't she?

You have done a lot of work so far, little by little, and it's sure showing...

Two things I see (her nose is gorgeous!) are the line separating the lips, the centre point doesn't seem to coincide with the centre of the upper lip. The other is the area around her left eyebrow. Looks a bit confusing, and it would be less frustration if corrected before you put more work on it.

It looks like her hair is going to be a wonderful, deep, rich colour.

Sorry I am not posting more often. I am on a mini-break from WC!... :(

Jazz
03-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Hiya!! Honey :) ,

Thank you so much for coming and having a look and leaving a comment -I appreciate it even more knowing that your hands are giving you hell -how are they? any better? :(

Thank you so much for nitpicking for me I really need those other eyes to look for things for me :) . With regards the Lips -I see what you mean but the funny thing is on checking the original -her lips on there dont either :confused: , I think it has something to do with the angle she is at, you know because her head is tilted back and to the side slightly but i will watch for it as I shape her lips more as I have only got a few layers on there right now, so if it is looking really odd I can deal with it before i finish them OK?
With regards the eyebrow -do you mean HER left eyebrow? or the VIEWERS left?? I am a little unsure as to what is confusing hon? If you mean HER left then that area aswell still has alot of shading to go, so it will be darkened up considerably more and also one of the areas that is slightly off there will be dealt with when I add more layering and shadow -do you think that would solve the problem?

I know I was thrilled when I was getting comments that I had nailed the look in her eyes -they are very enigmatic aren't they your right, LOL I will leave it to you to decide who or what she is thinkng about ;)

Thank you for commenting so thoroughly Hon I do so appreciate your feedback, Hopefully next week will see her on the second half of the journey and on the homerun by the end of the week, if my progress continues as it has been :) .

Thank you for your compliment re her hair, yes I really want to get across how dark it is without losing the red and brown highlights she has in there. I am thrilled you think her nose is gorgeous -it has caused me some consternation her nose, LOL but I think it is as good as its going to get now, other than shaping it more with shading and layering.

I know you have not been around much I have missed you greatly around here -I hope you can participate more again soon?

Lots of love and hugs,

ALI

frida
03-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Yes, I meant her left eyebrow, but... I took the original into PHSH and lightened it a lot, to be able to see better the contour line, and you have it pretty good! There is a bump there that looks too bumpy :) , around the end of the eyebrow. It will look more believable if you soften it up a bit.

Then, it's just a nitpick to be ignored freely...

Go on! You are doing great!!! :D You are putting me to shame right now.

Jazz
03-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi! Guys :) ,

As promised another update and I have worked pretty hard to get you an update that shows a reasonable amount of progress.

I have worked alot on the shadows and contours of her face but still she has a ways too go with regards a few more layers to even her out a little but not too much as the original is quite 'blotchy' for want of a better word -painterly I guess, so I can't make her too smoothed out on her face. I have been using prisma's Indigo blue 901 on the shadows on her face and I have introduced some Burnt Ochre 943 and Raw Umber 941 to her face in the contours and shadows.

I have also worked on shaping her necklace and have added 2 layers of Vermilion 921 and 2 layers of Crimson Red 924, then I added an extremely light layer of Indigo Blue to dullen the colour a touch as it is in the shadow of her head and does not appear very bright on the original.

On the hair I have been adding another 2 layers of Black Grape 996 and working out where I will be placing the lighter touches in the curves of her hair.

I have also worked on her hand with Burnt Ochre 943 by sketching in her finger nails and working on some of the shadow areas on her fingers.

I have added another two layers of Dark Green 908 to the window frame and finally I have added another layer of Indigo Blue 901 to the background sections and on top of that one more layer of Black Grape 996. The background still needs another layer of a very dark blue and on that layer I will use it to burnish, other than one small area within the window frame where it has a touch of a warm colour, which I will add there before I put another final layer on there.

So what do you think? All critiques and comments very welcome, again I have provided a close up so you can see what I have added to her face :) .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2004/19425-lengthways_fifth_-progress_shotreduced_file.jpg

Now the close up -I have tried to get the photo as close in colour and brightness as the original -actually the first photo is closer in colour and brightness, now i see it on the screen my close up is to orangey and has lost some of the detail :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2004/19425-Fifth_progress_shot_close_upreduced_file.jpg

I hope you like what I have done and how it is progressing? :)

Big Hugs to all,

ALI

jjsangel
03-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi ya Ali. This is looking great. Your doing a good job on the layering. The dark background is coming along very well as well as the layers on her hair and I like her face. Like I said before, she is prettier than the original. Keep up the good work.

Jazz
03-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Hiya!! Sharon :) ,

Thank you so much for responding so fast!! LOL I am glad you like the progress I am making, I am hating doing her hair right now as it is boring having to add layer after layer on such a large area but fortunately the face and other aspects are interesting so it makes up for it :) .

I think I have finally got to my TRUE ugly stage, hehehehehehe -I am posting some more close ups of my work I have done in the last few hours -she is UGLEEEE!!! I just hope to god that when I lay my other blending colours over the top it will take away some of the harshness to the shading!!! :confused:

Anyway, this is the latest -the first one is with the flash and although it creates shine in areas it does provide the closest image colour wise -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2004/19425-close_up_of_sixth_progress_shot_2reduced_file.jpg

The second one is without the flash and I think looks like I have an orange lamp shining directly onto it yuuuuucck!!! -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2004/19425-close_up_of_sixth_progress_shotreduced_file_no_flash.jpg

Thanks again Sharon for taking a peek :D

Big Hugs to you,

ALI

Fleur
03-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Hey Ali,
She is beginning to look really beautiful! ;) You've worked wo hard at this.... I'm in awe!

jjsangel
03-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Ali, I think she is looking great. I don't think it is in an ugly stage. Her hair is really looking good. All those tedious layers are paying off. And her face is taking on that painterly look of the original. You are really making some great progress.

Your Fan,
Sharon

Oh, and I loved your answer to the question in the other thread of "What is Style". .

arlene
03-09-2004, 08:49 AM
hey get back to work on this already! more work, less posting ;)

cpart
03-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi Ali, this is coming along a treat, are you enjoying doing a portrait?

Cheers

Stu

Karen Cardinal
03-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Ohhhhh Ali! This really is looking great!
You are getting some beautiful tones and colors in this work already.
You're also doing a fabulous job molding her features!
That's always the hardest bit since you don't have a lot of lines telling you exactly where to put the colors.

I'm already impressed!
We'll be looking forward to your next update.
Just relax and enjoy the process. :D

Jazz
03-09-2004, 09:33 AM
At the risk of incurring Arlene's deadly hammer, heehehee I will briefly post a response to all you great people in gratitude for your fantastic responses :)

Thank you so much Sharon, I can always count on you to leave an encouraging and supportive comment, I realy appreciate it honey :) . I am thrilled that you think her face is mimicking to some extent, at least the painterly affect on the face of the original, I am trying not to be terrified at the marks and shadowing and 'blotchiness' I am laying down on her face as I know that is what I see on the original :eek: .I have to keep reminding myself that I am copying another artists rendition of a portrait and not doing a portrait from real but its tough, I keep thinking I have gone to far but then I look at the original and see what Rossetti did and breathe easier, LOL ;) .

Thank you so much Marie-Dom for your continued support, so you like how she is turning out then? That is very pleasing to know :) . Did you see my response to your question on Sherrie Lees Horse portrait thread? With regards using the blue in her underpainting and why? If you want to know anything else you can PM me honey and I can at least try and give you a satisfactory answer ;) .

Oh! NOoooo.... Arlene :eek: :D I know, I know.... but I'm a chatterbox and I can't help but respond to people individually when they take the time to leave a comment can I? ;) You will be glad to know that I feel I only have another 6 hours or so left to go on this piece, so I am nearly finished :) .

Stu - Thank you for stopping by Hon I sooo.. appreciate it, I know you are really busy right now so it means even more to me -thank you. Oh! and I read what you wrote with regards your daughter and I just want to say that I am thrilled for her that she is getting back on track, I remember what I felt like at 15 yrs of age and suffering with depression(although I did not know that was what it was at the time). I think it is wonderfully brave of her to go back to school and re-engage with life -Good for her!! :clap:

With regards your question -I am having an absolute ball!! :D I have really enjoyed experimenting with colour on her face and the face has been the best part for me. I would definitely recommend you having a go if you haven't before, I have done graphite portraits but never anything in colour and as you know I am also new to the whole CP experience. So, although it has been scary and filled me with trepidation at times I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this portrait and I am looking forward to when I can have a go at a 'real' person, if you know what I mean. :)

Thanks so much guys for your continued interest it means a lot to me :) ,

Oh and Sharon honey -thank you for your comment re my response to the thread 'What is style', I just answered what I have always believed, I don't know whether it is the right answer, although I am not sure there is any ONE right answer, I think it is subjective, but thank you I am glad you like it :) .

Big Hugs folks,

ALI

Jazz
03-09-2004, 09:41 AM
OOPSSS!!! Sorry karen we were posting at the same time, awwww.... thank you do you really think I am doing a good job with her face? The tricky part is coming where I will have to unify it all by adding a blending layer or two -YIKES!!! :eek: But I am enjoying it nevertheless and I am most definitely relaxed about this one as I am so thoroughly enjoying it. Hopefully, my enjoyment is showing in the painting?

I enjoyed parts of my first CP piece but this one is a revelation to me because of just how much fun I am having!!! YIPPPEEEE!!!

I am looking forward to finishing her , not because I am not enjoying the process but because I want to know what she is going to end up like :) .

Thank you for all your amazing support and encouragement, your enthuisiasm for what I am doing is very definitely infectious :D

Massive hugs,

ALI

gealflings
03-09-2004, 09:51 AM
It really looks fabulous!!! This new update has thoroughly floored me! You're doing SUCH a great job - I can't wait to see more! :D

wet
03-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Ali glad to see you are a woman of you word. You said Tuesday and here she is! :D This is looking great. Are you going to do the second part? You don't have to answer me untill you have an update cuz you're going to get in trouble! ;) wanda

arlene
03-09-2004, 09:53 AM
if you get off the computer, you won't know that someone has posted. (now where is that hammer of mine? who took it?)

frida
03-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Great going Ali!!! :clap: So... that's why my mailbox is empty, :crying: ...! ;) I am delighted you are putting so much effort on your girl, and it's certainly showing...

Jazz
03-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks so much Wanda, I have not decided about the second part of the project yet, mainly because I am struggling to think of who to do as my portrait??? It has me stumped!?? :confused: I am glad you think my piece is looking great :) , I have always been a woman of my word, if I cant do it then I don't promise it...well....I try not too, lol. Thanks for your continued support, I think I am nearly there now :) .

Hey there Raquel, I am sorry I have not been more attentive in my e-mailing but as you can see it has mostly been down to trying to spend my time on my artwork. I m going to send you another mail tonight OK? :) How is your piece coming along? How are your hands sweetie? Thank you for continuing to post -I know your hands must get very painful so I do appreciate it and i totally understand if you are not posting as much as usual -truly I do.

here is another update -it is not finished but then I am enjoying it so who cares, LOL -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2004/19425-seventh_progress_shotreduced_file.jpg

As you can hopefully see on the whole shot I have done a lot of work and now in certain areas I am ready for the final layers to burnish but some areas still have no work really done on them but i am fine with that as those areas wont take long :) .

I have started adding Burnt Umber 947 to her hair and I have also added some Henna 1031 in the highlighted areas of her hair, also some Burnt Ochre 943 to the light areas.

I have continued to build the layers on her face and now I am getting to the stage where I will be layering some light colours to blend a little what I have, but as mentioned before the original is very painterly in style and so her face is not smooth at all, so my blending will only be slight.

I have added Burnt Ochre and Mahogany Red 1029 to her hand but it needs blending some and some of the shadows still need putting in. The window frame is complete other than one more layer for each section, I need to darken the small horizontal piece too.

The flowers are starting to get their true colour now and I have added Crimson Red 924 and Pumkin Orange 1032 to them but those colours need to be added in many more layers yet to get the full colours of the flowers.

I have worked on the shadowing in her neck and I am not very happy with it at the moment, it needs blending more with the other areas of skin colour to work so I still need to work on her neck some more :(

Here is the close up -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2004/19425-seventh_progress_shot_close_upreduced_file.jpg

I hope you think it is looking good, I have been working hard on this and I hope you can see that. All comments and critiques very welcome :)

Oh and a small edit -in the rl version the window frame is not quite as dark, you can distinguish between it and the background a lot easier in the real life version, OK? :)

Big hugs to you all,

ALI

marilyn h
03-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Definately see all your hard work. You will be surprised how burnishing will bring out things. Then after burnishing you can add more highlights and layers to accentuate what is important. Good going, Jazz!

frida
03-17-2004, 09:22 PM
All those dark BG areas must have taken a lot of work!!! Good for you...! :clap: I went through the whole thread just looking for the different steps and the BG was medium blue on page 4. Lots of layers since then...

I like very much the strands of hair where you have reached the final colour. She looks positively lovely.

What I couldn't find is the size. I remember you said it was large. That makes an amazing difference to the time it takes for sure. It's a great effort, sweetie! :)

Jazz
03-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Thank you marilyn for popping in and leaving a comment, Yes, I am going to burnish it all as i love the look it gives, thank you for your encouragement :) .

Hiya! Raquel, thank you so much for stoppin by and commenting I really appreciate it and I am thrilled you think she is lovely. Yes, the background areas have taken many layers and still need one or two more to be complete but i am getting there :) .

It is actually not as big as my Lilypads piece but because of it having largish areas like the hair to fill it is quite time consuming, it is actually 11.5" x 10.5"inches, so it is fairly big. Anyway honey thank you for your continued support it means an awful lot to me :) . I have been working on it tonight but I wont post another update until after the weekend has gone.

Big Hugs to you both,

ALI

cpart
03-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Ali - she is coming on a treat. I'm glad you are enjoying doing this. I've started on mine now, and I'm really enjoying doing a portrait.

Stu

wet
03-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Ali she is looking so great! I love the finished pieces of hair. Those eyes.....but I have loved those from the beginning. You know I think it is great how we are copying old paintings but they seem to be timeless. She looks like she could be going to Woodstock! :D I'm glad you won't post an update untill after the weekend cuz will be busy entertaining inlaws all weekend and I'm like a kid and don't want to miss ANYTHING!! :D Keep going on this lovely will be watching.wanda

jjsangel
03-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Hey Ali. This is looking GOOD!!! I just love her face, especially her eyes. And the shadows under her chin are looking good. I know those were bothering you. You are doing a great job on her hair too. It won't be too much longer before you are done with her. I really can't wait to see the whole thing finished. It is going to be lovely. Are you going to do part 2. I'm not sure if I am. We will have to see. I just need to get the time to start on my other one first.

larsnip
03-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Ali, first let me start by saying I love Rossetti, and also I think you have actually improved the drawing!!!! :clap: :clap: . Very impressive. I really like that your drawing is at the angle you are on the paper. you have done a great job so far, I am Eager to see the layers go down :p
There are a couple slight anatomical things
The right side of her nose, you've moved her face slightly down and toward the viewer, so I think the right should be moved in slightly
the hand, I think the fingers are slightly to thin and the fingers need foreshortening
I downloaded and made some quick squiggles hope they help
I know they are slight changes, but I have found that even slight changes can make a world of difference in a portrait, I've spent countless hours moving lines a MM at a time till I get it right

Dave Larson

Jazz
11-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Finally after allsorts of problems, personal and technical (damn computer!!), I can finally show you an update. Blimey am I behind the times or what?? LOL

Anyway, my reason for showing you this at this stage is I need a little advice on how to burnish the face to smooth out the blotchiness a little ,I did think of using cream but I am very hesitant to try until I have some expert advice from you guys :) .

I am going to post the reference again for all those of you like me who have dial up :mad: , so you don't have to flip back to check out the reference.

Then my cropped version, it has been so long probably most of you dont even remember what it looks like, LOL ;) .

Anyway, the reference - I better add that this has come out a lot darker than the original painting is. In the original you can see the window frames are dark green and there is a difference in colour between her hair and the background.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2004/19425-Girl_at_a_Lattice.jpg

OK here goes, this is what I have so far and it is nearly finished you will be relieved no doubt to learn :o and I have since this shot done even more too it :D . My digi shot has come out darker aswell, the hair has a lot more tones to it I will try and get a better likeness in my next shot -sorry!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2004/19425-masters_project_artwork_2.jpg

So what do you think? What can I do about blending the face, I don't want to do it too much as the original has a very rough painterly effect and I have tried to copy that but on the right side(nearest her hand) her face is a little too rough and I can see my pencil strokes.

Just so you know, I still have a little work to do on her hair and the sheer curtain sections and the background needs darkening further plus I have still to complete her beaded necklace.

All C&C very welcome :D

Big Hugs,

ALI

gealflings
11-16-2004, 01:40 PM
ALI!!!

It looks really good! I really like the skin tones - I can't wait to see more progress..

Message me, girl! I've missed you!!

SilverFeather
11-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Ali, she's looking really good. You got that painterly look!
Sorry I don't know how to tell you to smooth it out. I'm still trying for that look on my Masters Project. I'll get it out someday soon and work again. I know what you mean about problems and getting behind!
Lookin' forward to seeing how you finish her up :)

wet
11-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Geez girl talk about blowing off the cobwebs!! :wink2: :D I am so glad you are going to finish her. I think the original is pretty blotchy too. I would say cream but as you know most of the girls I draw have very furry faces so don't listen to me. But will be watching to see what you do with the advice I'm sure will be coming. :D :wave: wanda

frida
11-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Well...! Two presents in one thread, to get an update from Ali and a post from Sarah!!! :wave:

She is beautiful, Ali! :clap: Since you seem mainly concerned with the "blotchiness", I can only tell you what I would do about it. I would go straight to the spots that bother me, one by one, and with the same darkest colour I used on that area, would work around it very gently, to diffuse the spot. Just enough to smooth the sharp edge and get a better colour transition. I don't see that a lighter colour like cream can help there. After that, maybe use the cream on the light pressure area just applied, to blend that with the lighter colours...

Please let me know if you don't understand my convoluted description! :rolleyes:

Jazz
11-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Oh! you guys are the best :D :wave: ,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly I really appreciate it :) .

HEY SARAH!!! :wave: :clap: :wave: :D ,

thank you so much for responding, I have done more work on this since that shot but not on her face, too chicken, LOL. I am thrilled, ecstatic and very happy to hear from you girlie--see my huge grin :D .

BOY! Have I missed you and then some.

We will be chatting in a blink of an eye!

Much love and octopus hugging,

ALI

Jazz
11-16-2004, 05:29 PM
OOPS!! Sorry guys, I got carried away and forgot to address you great folk in the same post :o .

Thanks Carol, I really appreciate the support, you will be glad to know that the finishing line is in sight, just a couple more updates at most over the next few days and then wham! the finished article -......finally!! :rolleyes: LOL

Hey Wanda, I know, I know -what AM I LIKE???? LOL don't answer that :D . As I wrote to Carol the finishing line is in sight I promise and it wont take weeks to get there either -YIPPEE!!! Thank you so much for your support, it means a lot.

Hi! There Raquel :wave: , I think I owe you an e-mail don't I? Will get on it shortly I promise :) . Isn't it great to see a post from Sarah -I am thrilled!!! I totally understand what you are explaining and will give that a go -thank you so much for the advice. I will let you see the results latest tomorrow OK? You are the greatest and thank you so much for saying she is beautiful, I sooo... very much appreciate that :) .

I have worked incredibly hard on this even though there was a hiatus where nothing was done, this past 5 days have been creatively fantastic, I have really been enjoying it and loving seeing the whole piece come together at last.

Thanks to you all for sticking with it, I promised myself that I would do this one faster than my waterLily piece and I hate that I came unstuck in my plans. But bloody life will insist in getting in the way!!! :mad:

Lots of hugs to you all,

ALI

lynn1
11-16-2004, 05:46 PM
You're doing a great job on this Ali and you're not far off from the ref. But how in the world are you going to frame it? :eek:

Meisie
11-17-2004, 02:01 AM
Good on ya for sticking to this mate!....I used solvent to blend mine...so I can't help in that department, sorry...;)

Meisie

cpart
11-17-2004, 04:29 AM
Hi Ali :wave: Long time no talk!

When I did mine, I think I used white to burnish/belnd, then went over with the darker colours again. Prob best if you practice on some scrap paper first!

Looking real good. How is the water colour painting going?

bearded bob
11-17-2004, 07:23 AM
Hi Ali :wave: I would do any or all of what has been suggested so far, and add in the blender pencil. I actually use Light Peach (Pale Peach in US?) mostly for the blending at this stage - if you go with cream she might look a bit jaundiced. White will work too, but you would have to add some more colour on top of it, or she would look like the bloom on grapes. Either way you have to use a bit of presure now and push the pigment in, I find. Depends how much tooth you have left. But Raquel's suggestion would be fine too.

Sorry - just re-read that and it sounds hopeless! Basically I don't know what I do cos I just do something and see if it works, if it doesn't I do something else! Trouble is my memory is so bad I can't remember what works!! Honest!!! I took the dogs water bowl to the kitchen yesterday to empty it and poured the water in the bin! I put some cheese in the sink and the knife in the fridge!! Call the men in white coats now :confused:

Jazz
11-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi!! Everyone :wave: ,

Thanks so much for all the support I really do appreciate it :) .

Hiya!! Lynn thanks so much for your kind words, I will probably ask my dad to knock something up as he is into his wood work and has all the tools, IF I do decide to frame it -I don't know yet. Anyway, if you turn it so its a flat -landscape A3 size it is easy to frame, I just need to hang it at a different angle.

Thanks a lot Meisie, I am HUGELY anally retentive and find it impossible to start something else if I haven't finished this one. It is a compulsion of mine, like a dog with a bone -I just wont let go, LOL :D .

Hiya!!Stu -long time no talk big time, I have missed all you guys :) . Thanks for letting me know what you did, I love how yours turned out but my lady has a very different skin tone, not too mention that Rossetti style in painting is really quite loose and so there are obvious brush marks and so her face is very 'painterly' if you know what I mean. Thanks for thinking it looks good, I really appreciate the encouragement.
The water colour has been on hold the same as my CP but hopefully, I will get back into that too. My first watercolour piece ended up a mess but I have kept it to remind me what I did wrong, LOL.

Hiya!!! BOB :wave: I actually, like the idea of using light peach as there are a lot of ornage and yellow tones in her skin and that might blend them pretty well -thank you :) .

GAWDDD!!! if you need the little men in white coats then best I join you :confused: , I do all that too. LOL IN fact I have spent this evening so far searching high and low for a strip of tablets and can I remember where I left them??!!! No chance. LOL

I will have another decent update for you later this evening, I will have a go at blending her face first then you can see the results I get and i will let you know what I did OK?

Huge hugs to you all and thank you again,

ALI

Jazz
11-17-2004, 05:31 PM
OK, here goes -I might have to redo these shots in daylight because with the flash I have got shine on the heavily worked areas, Oh well -

I used Raquels method of working around the blotchy areas to diffuse them and I used Bob's idea with using Pale Peach927 Karisma, the first one is a close up and then the second one shows the other work I have done so far.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/19425-close_up_of_blending.jpg

Then with the full shot you can see that the sheer curtains are being filled in -some layers to go there yet and I have filled in and burnished the dark background behind the window frame on your right and obviously I have spent time blending the face a little so she is not quite so 'blotchy', I can still go over those areas with more colour if necessary on her face.

I dont know if you can see a huge difference on her face but then I dont want to obliterate all the colours there as they do feature in the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/19425-latest_update_2.jpg

I still have to work a bit more on her hair, adding a few more highlights and darkening some areas and I have the final layers to put on the background to your left. I also have that damn beaded necklace to do -I think I have been avoiding that but I will get on with it tomorrow or maybe tonight.

I think actually the blending on her face shows better as an overall effect on the full shot, I still have some work to do on her face, some other areas I have now seen on looking at it on the screen need diffusing some and blending.

Let me know what you think, all C&C very welcome :D

Big Hugs,

ALI

Jomitzi
11-19-2004, 12:20 PM
I love this, especially her hair and the scarf. Great colours. :clap:
Jo

frida
11-19-2004, 01:40 PM
It's looking pretty good, Ali! :clap: Are you pleased with your progress? It is less blotchy than before, but sure you don't want to lose the "painted" effect... I find Bob's advice excellent. He's done a lot of portraits, and attended Ann Kullberg's workshop on top of that!!!

There's not a lot more to the finish point, is there? :evil: :wink2:

Karen Cardinal
11-19-2004, 05:35 PM
ALI!!!
I'm so glad to see you back! I sure hope everything's going great for you now!

Gotta tell ya... I love what you've done with this work so far!
She's so colorful already! Isn't it fun to put all those great colors in a face? :D

You've gotten great advice already on blending your skin tones so I don't feel like I need to add anymore to that.
Just remember to trust your instincts with it. Enjoy this work and make it yours. You're doing wonderfully and I know you will be thrilled with her when she's done.

Keep enjoying it and have confidence! You have the talent... let it shine. :D
btw: I still love the angle you have for her. :D

Jazz
11-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Hiya!! Guys!! :wave:

OK -Yes, Raquel not much more to do, LOL :evil: you wicked woman, I can safely say almost done now! Yes, I am pleased with my progress now, I have done some more blending on her face and worked some more on her hair and curtains and another few hours and she will be done :clap: YIPPEE!! :D Thanks for your lovely comments Raquel and for all your continued support, you know I appreciate it.

Hiya!! Jo, thanks for stopping by again, thanks for the great comments -I adore colour and so all my pieces wil always feature lots of juicy colour, LOL. Ummmm.. One point, thats not a scarf, it kinda looks that way right now but thats because it needs a few more layers and then Hopefully it will look like a beaded necklace :) .

YEHHHHHHHH!!!!! It's Karen!! Hi! Honey :wave: :clap: :clap: , It's fantastic to see you here and even more so to see you on my thread, thank you, thank you for stoppin by :D . How's your back sweetie? You are right it is lots of fun using all those colours on her. Thanks for thinking she is looking great so far.
You are right I have had some excellent advice and it payed off, I know yours would have been the same :) . I think because my drawing skills need work that she is mine, LOL -she only resembles Rossetti's work unfortunately, but I love her all the same.

I took some photo's in daylight hours and I think it is easier to see how she looks right now, so here goes -one close up first then the full shot.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2004/19425-close_up_in_daylight.jpg

and then full shot -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2004/19425-Daylight_update.jpg

Thank you guys for your continued support, almost there now, a few more hours. So, I envision her completion to take place no later than Tuesday and that is when I will show you the next shot -when she is finished!! It might even be sooner :wink2: .

Huge hugs to you all,

ALI

Luc
11-21-2004, 11:27 PM
This is better than the original. I like very, very much.

marilyn h
11-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Ali. When you do something, you do something in splendor. Just wonderful. You have outdone yourself, again. YEA!

BridgetJones
11-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Ali, I find your version really sensational. The original looks like a child - yours is a lady - with a bittersweet expression on her face. Great colors. Absolutely adorable. :music: :clap: :music:

Jazz
11-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Thank you so much guys :wave: ,

I really so so appreciate all the support and help I get on this forum and you even put up with my work taking Months!!! LOL I am so absolutely determined that my next piece wont take as long, not now i am back at it properly.

Awww.. Luc -Thank you so very much for that! I am thrilled that you think so and coming from you with your exceptional eye it is compliment indeed. I think your work is amazing!

Hiya!! Marilyn :wave: , Thank you so very very much for stopping by and leaving a comment and WOW! what a comment! That is fantastic that you think that, thank you , you are so very kind :o :) .

Hey there Bridget, thanks for stopping by and thank you for your great comments, I really do appreciate it. I am amazed at the fabulous comments you guys have written.

Thank you soooo.... much,

Huge Hugs,

ALI

Jazz
12-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Ok this is for all the hardened supporters of mine, LOL this is a teaser the penultimate photo's, just tweaking left to do :clap: :clap: I have completed that damn necklace finally!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/19425-complete_bar_tweaks.jpg

Ok and now a close up of said necklace -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/19425-necklace_finished.jpg

Raquel the finish line is in sight!!! :clap:

Karen I am pleased with her. :D

I have spent ages over the necklace trying to get it just right, I dont think I can do much more to it. I have also finally completed the background on the left so that it is very dark and has depth hopefully.

I have smoothed out the face in more places and have tweaked here and there, just the net curtain to complete(I hate that bit :mad: ) and her hair to add the odd highlight too.

Thanks for staying with me -I know it has been another marathon, such is life that it will intefere every time I swear I wont let it.

I am eager to get on with my psychedelic leaves :D

Hugs,

Ali

Fleur
12-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Ali! This is impressive! You must be thrilled!!! :clap: :clap:

CAULFIELD
12-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Ali, this is great! You really captured the painterly effect! :clap:

lynn1
12-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Ali..You should be very proud of yourself!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

adrianpencil
12-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Great to see you flying the flag for art in Cambs :)

An ambitious project - you must be really pleased at how it's turned out :clap:

Get that fixative spray out before you spill tea on it :)

Adrian

frida
12-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Oh, Ali! So little to finish it...! :clap: It's wonderful!!!

Jazz
12-09-2004, 04:05 AM
For those who are interested -I have finally finished my masters project pt 1, YIPPEEE!!! :clap: :clap: :D Unless anyone sees anything that needs working on I will be calling this finished and getting on with my new project :D .

I took some shots last night and so I will show you a full shot of night light first, I would like to know if you can see much difference between the night time shot and the daylight shot too follow OK? -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/19425-night_time_shot_complete.jpg

OK -Daylight shot now -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/19425-full_complete_shot_in_daylight.jpg

and just for fun a close up -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/19425-closeup_of_complete_art.jpg

I hope it looks OK, C&C very welcome and needed :) .
OOPS!! Sorry! I forgot to say that I have had a go at fixing the nose some more, so I would like to know if its better? Also, if you would like a close up of anything, any details i can do that no probs, just say?

Thanks everyone for sticking with this, I know it has been boring and tortuous :o .

Finally on to my next project -the leaves!! :clap:

Huge hugs,

ALI

CAULFIELD
12-09-2004, 10:51 AM
AND I thought it was finished on the last post! Bravo! :clap:

Nicole :D

lynn1
12-09-2004, 11:33 AM
The day time shot is brighter on my monitor, especially the face.

I'm so glad you finished this. Great job. :clap: :clap: :clap:

frida
12-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Finally on to my next project -the leaves!! :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

gnu
12-09-2004, 01:33 PM
really got to love that presentation! :clap: :clap: it's beautiful..
time to move on.. :clap:

Jazz
12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks so much guys, you're the best!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lets all do bouncy claps, hehehehehe!!! It's finished YEHHHHHHHH!!!

Is it possible that this took longer than my first one too complete? Gawd I hope not??

So, this new one is NOT going to take even half as long RIGHT!! (I will keep telling myself this in the hope that it will sink in! :confused: :D ).

I know it wont I have conquered my wobbles and am enjoying my art, even the difficult bits. I was sooo.. full of elation when I had finished this! But I have no idea if it is any good or not because i have been staring at it on and off for too many months.

Thanks everyone for your great words,

Huge Hugs,

ALI

Flame Lily
12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Ali, I wasn't here when you started this and still feel awkward posting, like I'm 'interrupting' or something... LOL

I had to come in and say how impressive I think this is. I love the deep colors you achieved, it's very enjoyable to look at - good job! :clap:

Jazz
12-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Thank you so very much Flamelily :) ,

feel free to 'interrupt' any time you like, LOL I know what you mean though, I felt the same way when I joined Wetcanvas and found the CP forum -everyone knowing everyone etc. But you are a part of it too now -don't forget. Please dont feel awkward posting, I truly appreciate every post I get and hey even better when they are as great as your comments!

I am thrilled that you find it enjoyable to look at, and yes I love my rich colours -I am a certified colour junky, LOL :D .

Thanks again.

Big Hugs,

ALI

Meisie
12-09-2004, 03:08 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Meisie