PDA

View Full Version : Jack is done

Luvy
08-01-2001, 08:25 PM
Well Jack is done. I would like to darken the colors of the plaid couch but I'm too chicken to touch it. Maybe when it's dry I can do a glaze of dark to get the couch more in the shadows. What do you think?

TeAnne
08-01-2001, 09:39 PM
This has come up lovely Luvy, the fur, the background and the sneekers. Excellent. I love his eyes. :cat:

glowbug
08-01-2001, 11:27 PM
The dog Jack is great! But as a work of art, I don't think it works. I think it would have benefited the picture if you had focused on Jack with his head on one shoe, and left out the distracting elements. The wood of the chesterfield and the green floor just look flat with no variation in color.
Also the whole tips to Jacks side of the picture.
His eyes are amazing, well done!

JeanineJ
08-02-2001, 11:19 AM
I would just darken the shoes, and the shadows in/under them so that the cutie poochie is the bright focus...

Luvy
08-03-2001, 09:24 AM
Thanks Teanne Glowbug and Jeanine for the comments. I like it alot. But then it's my Jack. Still need to darken the couch some though. Hope I don't mess it up. I think I really have to want to paint something before I can get it to come out half way decent. Tried a rose last night. OH MY GOODNESS it's terrible so far LOL Glad I only did it on canvas paper. Think it's going in the garbage. I don't like still lifes. Plus I got lost in all the petals. *S*

Thanks again Don't know what my next project is yet. But it's going to be something I really want to paint again.

mame
08-03-2001, 10:14 AM
Hey Luvy. Just one schlock's opinion:

A mentor once gave me advice I've never forgotten - that an image/subject matter should never be too "precious" -at least not more precious than the painting as a thing in itself.

Pets are a toughie. For some reason they often come across as way too cutsey for me. I think the sneakers are much more interesting compositionally by themselves. In any event, the sneakers don't look "finished".

Just talking composition/subject matter here.

Color - need to "tie things up"/get an overall cohesiveness.
Your idea of glazing - do it throughout the painting

PS - I think your tackling complex compositions is admirable! But- again, while you're getting the hang of basics and formal elements, I'd suggest simple, simple simple. There's nothing more beautiful than a finally renedered egg, or apple or chair or whatever.

Don't get discouraged. Work, work, work!

SDavy
08-03-2001, 11:54 AM
I really like this- I didn't see it as just a painting of your dog, but as a little piece of your life. I like very much the piece of couch, I think it says much more about you and your pet than if it were just a pet portrait. I guess the only thing is, I didn't know they were sneakers...I thought the dog was sitiing on -laundry...maybe?
And I thought possibly the white thing on the right was a man's underwear-
which made the painting REALLY interesting and fun for me. So maybe you don't have to think about sneakers. A dog rolling around in clean laundry seems so much more in character and interesting to me. So I like it....
Hope I didn't miss the point here!
Stephanie

Luvy
08-04-2001, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm hoping today to do the glaze thing. Been reading up on it. Hope I don't mess it up.

Mame Guess I'm just a sucker for dogs. Love good dog paintings thought most people did. But then Hey I could be wrong. I'm new to the world of art other than enjoying others work. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. I've tried doing still life studies and it bores me to death. I can't get anything out of it. I'm working on a single rose right now. Trying the variety of colors in the rose wood table and leaves. So far I'm not thrilled with it. But only doing it on canvas paper. So no big loss. *S*

SDavy Thanks I kinda like this one. Guess it was easier than I thought it was cause I enjoy the subject. He's a little weird but I love him. But I can't for the life of me see men's underwear in this painting LOL But another internet friend said the same thing. So somehow some people see that. Think I'll leave it just as it. For those that see underwear it's fine and for those that see the sneakers that's fine too *S*

Luvy
08-05-2001, 10:39 AM
I tried the glaze Not sure if it makes much difference. Whiters are a little less white. I think the couch looks more in the background. Tried to vary the color more on the carpet but then I notice I lost some of my shadows under the sneakers. Guess I'll go put more shadows in there again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2001/Image001.JPG

JeanineJ
08-05-2001, 11:41 AM
Better!