PDA

View Full Version : Funny Article: Adventures in Ebay

ejmstudios
12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
http://www.tomatonation.com/ebay.shtml

Lady Rando
12-30-2003, 05:28 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!! :D :D :D

Too Funny!!! I'm sitting here wiping tears from my eyes and my side is about to split from laughing so hard.

Thank you for a very good laugh.

Sumafra
12-31-2003, 05:59 AM
Thanks for this link, but I didn't find it that funny. You see, I live in Canada and I find it really aggravating that the great majority of sellers on Ebay won't ship to Canada. What's the big deal? It may cost a few extra pennies?? I have tried shopping online only to be stopped at every turn by the 'ship to US only' notice. So while I can laugh at the stupidity of buyers' questions, this particular issue is a sore spot for me. Sorry!!! (Besides, I find this person rather condescending and rude. Just my 2 cents worth I guess).

sandge
12-31-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Sumafra
Thanks for this link, but I didn't find it that funny. You see, I live in Canada and I find it really aggravating that the great majority of sellers on Ebay won't ship to Canada. What's the big deal? It may cost a few extra pennies?? I have tried shopping online only to be stopped at every turn by the 'ship to US only' notice. So while I can laugh at the stupidity of buyers' questions, this particular issue is a sore spot for me. Sorry!!! (Besides, I find this person rather condescending and rude. Just my 2 cents worth I guess).
That pretty much summed up my reaction, too. :) Thanks for sharing the link. I did find the article amusing but, as Sumafra says, I've also experienced the frustration of not being able to make a purchase.

ejmstudios
12-31-2003, 08:38 AM
Sorry, no offense was intended! I thought of it as being more about people not reading the directions then being about any particular country. My apologies!

kjsspot
12-31-2003, 02:34 PM
I sell world wide including to Canada. But I can understand why people would choose not to ship Internationally, even to Canada.

My very first sale to Canada ended up costing me money. I specified international money order. I received a money order drawn on a Canadian bank. It cost me almost the entire amount in fees just to cash it. I didn't mess with getting a new one as I felt I didn't specify clearly enough in my auction description and counted it as a learning experience. But, first of all, it took a long time to arrive due to slow mail. If I had chosen to correct the error, it would have taken even longer to mail it back and get a new one. IOW, it would have been a HUGE hassle. I've also had people from CA complaining about the slow ship time there. I've filled out more tracking request for deliveries to CA than to anywhere else. Then you have to deal with filling out the customs forms. Also, when I ship to CA I can't insure it.

I can fully understand why some sellers decide that the profit is not greater than the time and hassle requirements. It is much more involved than just a bit more postage. For my items, the profit is higher. IOW, I sell fewer things for higher profits instead of more things for lower profit. So for me, the many headaches that have come with international trade are worth the sales. But it is not easy. Not y'alls fault. Just the red tape you have to plow through.

madmum
12-31-2003, 03:02 PM
I sell internationally and so far (touch wood!) I haven't had any problems. I think the biggest headaches for me come from European orders, mainly due to language problems. Mailing to the US generally takes up to 10 days, and I always explain this to buyers.

I thought the link was funny, but I know how frustrating it can be when you really, really want something and the seller won't ship to your country, even if you offer to pay the extra postage!

Ruth

Lady Rando
12-31-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by homeindulgences
Sorry, no offense was intended! I thought of it as being more about people not reading the directions then being about any particular country.

I agree. I thought it had more to do with customers not paying attention to your auction and the sometimes ridiculous emails we get from some ebay buyers.

I also sell internationally. If someone outside of the US wants to pay for the shipping to have my art, more power to them, I am very happy to help make that happen. :)