PDA

View Full Version : airbrushed hood "dragon"

Rodman
12-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Here's a w.i.p. a car hood..It's planned to be a rather dark,creepy dragon on a pile of skulls...the first pic. the hood has been preped. de-waxed, sanded (600 grit wet)then the dragon is sketched on using chalk.the chalk can be removed and reapplied with ease.and will simply be wiped off before the clear coating process...the paints used are House of Kolor brand...mainly I've used base white, candy apple red,candy yellow,candy oriental blue, and purple...oooops a little candy rootbeer....this is done in a little different style than the helmets i do most of the time so , rather than do ,say, all the white then yellow...i kind of finished out an area so i can see i'm headed in the right direction...i hope you like it...i'll post more pics as i go..thanks for looking. check out my other work at www.rodmansvisuals.com thnaks again Rod-Man

Rodman
12-30-2003, 12:24 PM
here i have came back with the airbrush and started in the white..the candies won't cover the black so the white is added anyplace there will be color....airbrush used are Iwata hp-c and Iwata custom micron -C...

Rodman
12-30-2003, 12:27 PM
starting in on the color now...the yellow is put down first..rather loose..then getting tighter as i darken the subject

Rodman
12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
colored the skulls in the background in some(more testing) then added some black..it's easy to go crazy with the black so i need to be careful....more to follow..thanks again for looking...Rod-Man

Penny220
12-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Great job, this is coming along very nicely! I love working in automotive.

Penny

Caterwallin'
12-30-2003, 03:39 PM
This is great freefall, I can't wait to see more!

Sam

MarciaJane
12-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Its looking good !! .......... as per usual !! :)

orchid black
12-31-2003, 02:45 PM
It's coming along beautifully! Thank you for keeping us posted!

animal
01-02-2004, 02:33 PM
This is looking really cool, Free. Glad you posted the link in chat :)

Rodman
01-03-2004, 12:58 PM
here is the project with the first coat of clear added. all that i'll need to do now is wet sand and reclear...(buffing maybe) thanks for looking...Rod-Man

MarciaJane
01-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Wow !!!!..... this is looking wonderful.... I bet your son is well pleased with it !..... great artwork !!!! :)

http://www.freewebs.com/marciajane/

Caterwallin'
01-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Rod - This is fantastic! You have done a great job! I love automotive art and I admire all of you who do it! How long does a project of this size take? I went to your website, I really liked the section on moving art but the section on fine art would not work for me! I'm anxious to view it! The skydiving pics are rad!

Sam

jocelynsart
01-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Wow, this is great. Too chicken to accept jobs on people's bikes and cars! lol
The colours here are rich and earthy. There is alot of depth to the image.
Joss

Penny220
01-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Looks really good. I would like to see some close up shots. Why are you wet sanding between coats of clear? I and every body shop I know of shoots all of the clear, then buffs it out. Unless there is a run in the clear, it's almost never wet-sanded, and if you don't have enough coats of clear on you can get to your art even with the finest of sandpaper. Also, clear above all other paints has a window that must be followed to the letter otherwise you will destroy everything. If this is old hat to you, then I apologize, hopefully someone else will learn from the information though.

Alan Cross
01-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Very cool how about a few closeups..
Alan :)

Rodman
01-04-2004, 02:13 PM
thanks everyone ...
Penny220. the reason I sand between coats of clear is, I've found it to be the best way to level the clear. in other words,get the thing flat. I know alot of people do the clear and buff deal but, for me the extra time and expence in reclearing is worth the effort...So far(knock on wood) I havn't had trouble working this way...that includes 100's of helmets to date...thanks for looking, Maybe i should have added or gave credit to Craig Frasier of air syndicate... I've watched his video's and read his articles in airbrush action mag. for years.... thanks craig.....Rod-Man

Penny220
01-06-2004, 03:01 PM
I sand between layers of paint when I am unfortunate enough to have to do actual paint. I'd be too afraid to sand at the clear, I messed up a wooden box once doing this :( I've never tried with auto for this reason. What grit paper are you using?

I'm afraid the days of Craig Frasier having articles in airbrush action are over. To my knowledge this relationship has ended. It's nice to see that Craig is still producing videos though and this time it's under his own name. :) He finally has freedom and it will be interesting to watch him florish now.

Great job on the hood, when are you going to show us some close ups?
I checked out your site. I noticed you use a lot of scratch board. Have you considered AB and clayboard? Pamela Shanteau uses it almost exclusively.

Keep Sprayin'
Penny

acyaws
01-17-2004, 10:07 PM
:clap: