PDA

View Full Version : MAKING OF: The Angel with the scabbed wings (in oil)

Gollator
08-01-2001, 02:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2001/angel.jpg

I made photos during the progress. Because it may take some time to load, I put them on my homepage, with some explanation. (Link below)

MAKING OF (http://www.gollator.de/makin_of.htm)

It's good to paint again!!!

Peace on Earth,
Gollator

colorme
08-01-2001, 07:29 PM
wow golator i love your painting, there must be some 'hidden' meaning or something, it looks like a fairy and an angel at the same time. :D

dornberg
08-01-2001, 07:59 PM
i like the way the left wing relates to the background boxes

ZOTMA
08-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Welcome back from your trip, good to see you painting again. I loved the sketch and this is a great realization in oil. I enjoyed seeing your action packed behind the scenes making of pictoral. Made me chortle about Manson lyrics, should have known. I think your plan of lightening the insect limb is a good one, I think it may be attached in a way that makes it slightly less believable than before. The eye sockets being smaller in the oil makes the angel look more innocent than sinister (like the original), I like them both ways. I appreciate that in the oil you can see the hands in the window better. This is a very cool piece.

Gollator
08-02-2001, 06:06 AM
colorme: Thx, guy.

As for the hidden meaning: I DO believe there is one, but unfortunately I haven't found it myself. Which is quite frustraiting - you painted the pic yourself and don't understand its message.

dornberg: Seeing the world through your eye must be fascinating. Thx.

Zotma: Glad you like it. I was unsure if I was to put those lyrics there, because here in germany there are some rumors about all americans burning you at the stake when they hear you reciting MM. :) But in Europe most just say "I don't like him", and that's it. I see him as an actor, and his "show" is worth a second look, if you like it a bit eerie.

About the eyes: I wanted them to be more innocent, which they also were in the sketch version until I decided to overdraw them with an additional insect eye. But I also like both versions.

Again, thx all for comments, I am always very happy to read your opinions.

Chuck
08-02-2001, 11:03 AM
Nice color...great figure-ground relationship...a very evocative painting!

Gollator
08-02-2001, 01:04 PM
thx chuck.

I guess my g/f will find this evocative, too, but in a most negative way. (uh oh, luckily she hasn't seen it yet)

:)