PDA

View Full Version : Sitting Nude in Graphite

graemewhyte
12-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi all,

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas (or a very enjoyable holiday if Christmas isn't your thing).

Got some new art materials from Santa, so I thought I'd better get back to drawing.
After messing around with Ink (Can see the results on my website if anyone's interested) I decided to go back to my usual, naked women in Graphite. (That's drawings of naked women drawn using graphite pencils, not some Star-Wars type carbonising thing!) :)

Unfortunately it shows that I'm out of practice! Need to stop taking such long breaks between drawings!

Well here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2003/25312-Sitting_Nude.jpg

It's drawing mainly in 2B 0.5mm mechanical pencil (with some HB and H thrown in) on Bristol board. The original is around 20 x 29 cm.

Comments and Suggestions very welcome,

Thanks for looking,

Graeme

Mickey_Mouse
12-29-2003, 01:18 PM
looking good! you have some realty nice shading in the body! awesome!

Only problem i see is her "behind" , somehow the atonomy compared to her legs is somewhat weird. and try putting some more highlights and shadows in the hair to give it more depth

I think it looks realy awesome! the arm looks totaly sweet!

Vegas Art Guy
12-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Great job considering the lead you're using, ever thought about softer lead (4b) for more dramatic shadows? I wish my 'shaking off the rust' drawings were that good...

JanetteBC
01-01-2004, 06:04 AM
looks good needs a hint of what she is sitting on to show balance
BTW checked out your web site very impressive work -- not for the faint of heart :D

Rosic
01-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Graeme...
Welcome back my friend... yea... you need to get busy drawing more for us!:D

A agree with the comment about giving us more of what she's sitting on.

Take care,
Rosic

graemewhyte
01-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone, hope you all had a very good new year (and the hangover wasn't too bad!) :)

It does seem like a long time since my last WetCanvas post. I really should start browsing the forums again, I was planning to get lots of drawing done during the holidays, but I seem to be busier through the holidays than I ever was while working! :confused:

Mickey_Mouse, thanks for the kind comments, her "behind" sometimes looks like it stops too low (if you follow my drift) but then there are all sorts of shapes and sizes out there! :)

Vegas Art Guy, I usually use a 4B in most of my drawings (sometimes a bit too much) because I just love strong contrasts and deep shadows. I was trying to limit myself to a 2B this time (it works better on paper than on screen) But then I would say I was doing it on purpose! :p

jalang, I'm glad you like my other drawings, I don't post most of it on WetCanvas (for reasons I'm sure you can guess!) so it's nice to know people like it.
I'm always very bad at drawing the background (or foregrounds fot that matter), I tend to get to the end of the subject and think, "thank god for that" and pack everything away!

Rosic, always nice to see a familiar tinyhead! Perhaps (one of) my new year resolutions should be to take more part (including more drawing!). As I said, you (well I definately) can really see that I'm out of practice! :(
I hope to do more Pen and Ink work, but it's trying to find the time (and often motivation) to get started!

Thank you everyone who has taken some time out to have a look at my work, means a lot to me!

Happy New Year everyone,

Graeme

Rosic
01-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by graemewhyte

I hope to do more work, but it's trying to find the time (and often motivation) to get started!

Graeme

I can certainly identify with this quote!:D

JanetteBC
01-03-2004, 04:23 PM
so quilty myself!!! I hate backgrounds/ foregrounds I am NOT Olivia though, so struggle on I must.
would love to see you do a Betty Page!!!