PDA

View Full Version : A Velvet Elvis!!

bkmartist
08-01-2001, 02:53 AM
No, not done on velvet, but it is Elvis. 18x24 Oil on Canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2001/elvis.JPG

This is the last celebrity portrait that I did while trying to 'get better' at portraits. This also was one of the first portraits I did using many layers of glazes, which Ive grown to love ever since. All Ive painted since this has been 'real' people, commissions and otherwise.

sandge
08-05-2001, 07:44 AM
Well, you have certainly achieved a likeness - I'm sure everyone can tell who this is immediately!

The only anatomical thing that slightly bothers me is the shoulders. It looks as though they are both coming forward but in a way that does not suggest he is hunching his body. I think this is connect to the folds on the shirt - the seam that runs across the chest is not helping us decipher the form.

The other thing I would suggest you consider again is the strange light brown blob floating above his shoulder. I can't work out what it is supposed to be and it is distracting from the subject.

Personally, I find the treatment of this subject a bit harsh. I would have liked to have seem some softer edges and blending - leaving the odd hard edge and sharp tonal contrast for the focal point (the eyes?). For example, the lines and shadows on the mouth are very harsh and there is a very hard highlight on the cheek on our right.

Please let us see some of your more recent work. :D

bkmartist
08-06-2001, 02:51 AM
The blob in the background is actually 1 of 3 (or 4, I cant recall) blobs of color. There was a yellow (the one you can see) a green and a blue I believe. None of the rest showed up in the photo.

Originally there was going to be a microphone stand with mike and his hand holding it. I painted that in, hated it, felt it did nothing for the painting and got rid of it. The 'blobs' were supposed to represent spotlights of sort, as it was going to look like he was on stage. Losing the mike kinda took him off-stage.

Julie Morgan
02-27-2006, 05:58 PM
funny ive just been watching a video of Elvis in all his leather gear. This picture sure does have a likeness, well done.