PDA

View Full Version : A scene from Tailboard 0738

Leopoldo1
07-31-2001, 11:43 PM
This is another painting from the Vietnam series I have done. Obviously it is from a photo. It was particularly challenging to do because I took this photograph at dusk and I wanted to protray the painting with the drama of sunset before dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2001/vietnamhelicopter2.jpg

Javier
08-01-2001, 01:57 AM
Leopoldo, "A Scene From Tailboard 0738", is a very fine piece of work.

An amazing sky.
The river is all most wet.
The smoke is great.
The barrel of the gun adds real depth.
Please, size and paper?

I really like this painting of yours.

The Very Best,

Leaflin
08-01-2001, 09:15 AM
Wow
Leopoldo....A beautiful painting.
You surely accomplished your goal with this painting.
Thanks

LarrySeiler
08-01-2001, 03:27 PM
No art probably affects my emotion more as does "combat" art. In fact, I have ordered an A&E video of just that and look forward to getting it.

I'm glad you are doing a series.

I was in the navy as an "era" Vietnam veteran...meaning it was essentially over, though our ship still had a few vets trying to sort thru things and get their heads together before their getting out. It took a good long while but I guess they learned that it wasn't a good idea to pull a vet out of the field one day, and having him walk the streets of New York the next! Of course....the fighting had been over for sometime, but not the issues a lot of guys had to deal with.

I appreciate your perspective, and color. Either headin' out and back, or gettn in one more round before dark. Is there a story behind this one Leopoldo?

Larry

fink
08-01-2001, 08:12 PM
All I can say is WOW! This is absolutely amazing - the painting as well coming out of Vietnam. Proud of you. Not everyone that went in came out. They are truly remembered.

billyg
08-02-2001, 04:15 AM
Very emotional rendition of a period in time which would have been relief and apprehension all rolled into one. Todays sortie over, Have to go again tomorrow.
Billyg

wendee
08-02-2001, 09:10 AM
well all i can say also is WOW.....yes a very emotional subject..:)

4vincent
08-02-2001, 12:15 PM
Leopoldo,

I have to add my "wow" to the others too....

Even without knowing the location of where it depicts, it still has a lot of drama and intensity to it. Kind of reminds me of
"Cotopaxi" by Frederic Church...

Needless to say, to a veteran like myself who served during that time, (Korea) it says more.

Thanks for saying it. Ken

Wally's Mom
08-02-2001, 01:57 PM
Spectacular painting !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Leopoldo1
08-02-2001, 03:06 PM
Thanks all for your critiques. Javier the painting is 24X36 Oil on linen. Larry we were returning to base at Ving Long after a day I really don't remember, but grabbed my camera for the sunset coming off the Mekong Delta. Much of Vietnam in the Delta Region looked liked craters on the moon from B-52 bombing with water sitting in them. In the lower right hand of the painting is an example of the pocked earth. I was with the 611th, crew chief door gunner and we were envolved with rescue operations. :oL

LarrySeiler
08-02-2001, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Leopoldo
I was with the 611th, crew chief door gunner and we were envolved with rescue operations. :oL

My Lord, Leopoldo.....a friend of mine lost two buddies of his...one dying on his lap. All three of them chopper bay door gunners. One of the most dangerous of all jobs in Nam...

(eyes watering).... :crying:

just glad you were one of the fortunate ones....

Larry