PDA

View Full Version : For the 'Challenged ' :D

paintfool
07-31-2001, 11:17 PM
OK well, here's 'Lou' i love her! She is plaster of paris on canvas board. I had a so much fun with this! I'll have to take another pic later to get the 3D effect.

colorme
08-01-2001, 12:23 AM
wow i like it, it looks like you had lots of fun, can you tell me more about plaster of paris? :)

Leaflin
08-01-2001, 09:21 AM
She is great Cheryl.
What a personality.
I can see how you had fun with her. :)

paintfool
08-10-2001, 12:43 AM
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here.... been a busy couple of months and i'm taking a breather! :) The plaster of paris is fun to work with. Make the plaster water mixture somewhat thin. (about the consistancy of baby food) yummy! I usually make a rough sketch of the basic shape of the face/whatever on the canvasette before i mix it. When it starts to thicken just a bit (about 5 or 6 minutes) i pour the plaster on the board and use my fingers to direct it to the edges of the sketch. Let it sit for a few more minutes to stiffen a bit more. there is a crucial point in time when it is workable with fingers, and other tools to get the basic features and shapes. Once it starts to harden it does so very quickly! If it hardens completley before you are done you may want to switch to different tools. Nail files and pairing knives work well. when you are satisfied with your creation let it sit for at least a few days maybe 4 or 5 before painting. I used oil, thinned with Liquin on Lou. Warning!!! These guys take on a face of thier own, regardless of what you had originally planned. I think that's the fun though. It's almost like they are being 'born' right in front of you! Try it. The plaster is cheap enough. I bought it at walmart in the craft section for just a couple of dollars but i'm sure it's cheaper in the hardware store.
Lastly, but important: before painting, finish them by running a bead of caulk around the edges of the face. Use your dampened fingers to smooth this line. The reason is that it will better adhere to the board. I didn't do this on a fish that i was especially happy with and he fell off of the board!
Cheryl

sassybird
08-12-2001, 12:07 AM
Cheryl,

She really is wonderful. I have worked with plaster of paris in my fibers work. It is a wonderful stiffiner for coarse materials, and once I dip it I let it sit for a few min as you said and then begin sculpting by moving the material around.

paintfool
08-12-2001, 10:35 AM
Sassy, a while back i was looking for a product to stiffen fabric and never thought to use the plaster in this way! Yeay! Thanks!
Cheryl