PDA

View Full Version : OP Sailing away

Dyin
12-28-2003, 12:32 AM
did this for the WDE and it took too long for the weekly thread. It's rough...had a touch of 'color migration' in some white areas from hurrying but am all in all pleased with this as a two hour and 7 minute piece. I like that I could do so much so quickly and have it come out the colors i expected it to lol! And it's not my normal style...a whole lot looser...the shorts were done almost at the end and just took about a second and I feel like they still come across as shorts!!! Anyways, going to leave as is...but shows me I could do a lot less working and still get a nice piece...especially if I'd not been on a time constraint. Thanks to Carla for the ref pic and Wendy for starting up the WDE!

9x12 Holbeins on Vellum Bristol...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2003/19147-WDE_12-27_final...2_hours_7_minutes.jpg

Dark_Shades
12-28-2003, 04:24 AM
I think you have done a great Job Sue..... well done, you have simplified the picture and it works very well

bnoonan
12-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Sue excellent job!!! It's a great composition and has good movement.

Isn't it great to push yourself into a different speed sometimes?

Now... let's see what else you can do. Shall we give you another challenge?

Barb

Dyin
12-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks Dawn and Barb...I really like this even tho it's loaded with mistakes...those are the wonkiest ropes I ever saw lol ! I've been trying to figure out why I like it actually....I guess because when I look at it I can remember what it was like being on a boat fishing down in the Florida keys...all that space and horizon. Maybe it has something to do with the foot and a half of snow we've gotten in the last three days...lol!

bnoonan
12-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Snow - yikes - better you than me!!!

Barb

guilliame
12-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Hey Sue,when i saw your christmas tree i thought this is really good and i remember thinking to myself that you should do more quick off the cuff paintings and lo and behold up you pop with this little beaut,i really like those ropes thro the pulley wheels and his foot may be off but it's still a nice painting:D
I didn't comment on the tree coz i'd sneaked in over the hols but someone pulled the plug:)

Dyin
12-28-2003, 03:36 PM
thanks Guilli! I'm glad you like it...ha, ha...I have a tendancy to want to make men's feet big as my husband has size 15!!! I have no idea what that would be in European sizes...but BIG lol!!!
thanks for commenting on the tree too...didn't mean to get ya in trouble! :p

lisilk
12-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Hi Sue,

Well I liked it there and like it here. I esp. like how you simplified the composition, got rid of all that didn't add to the story. It captures that mood of carefree days and wind in the hair...er, hat. I think the WDE's are a terrific way to learn to see only the essential.

Cheers

Li

P.S. I want my lunch money back !

Dyin
12-28-2003, 06:35 PM
Li...nice to see you popping around the forum...told you it would be fun!!! You know, that's a real good point about learning to see only the essentials. Maybe when I go to paint a regular piece I'll approach it first as just essentials...hmmmmm! Ok...you earned it back lol!

Stoy Jones
12-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Dyin, this really turned out great! You know your mistakes, so won't labor that. I do agree with the ropes and I like skies with a variation in tone and you pulled that off really well. Working around those rails with the water and to make the strokes look consistent must have been a challenge! I bet you are pleased with the time element too. Do more! :clap:

Stoy

meowmeow
12-29-2003, 06:29 PM
DOn't worry about the ropes...this is terrific! WOnderful composition and feel to it. You can just feel the summer day on the water.
It is amazing what loosening up can do!

Sandy

Dyin
12-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Thanks Stoy & Sandy...actually the water wasn't so hard, except for trying not to blow the railings lol! I wanted to approach it a certain way and luckily it worked well enough. I really, really would like to be able to work quickly but still have the accuracy...I know...practice, practice, practice!

MKathleen
12-29-2003, 10:49 PM
I like that I could do so much so quickly and have it come out the colors i expected it to lol! And it's not my normal style...a whole lot looser...
Hi Sue: I really like this!
:clap:Wonderful work and I agree it's amazing when push comes to shove you can make it work. I'm getting to where I like having only the initial two hours for the WDE's--then you can go back later and take all the time you want. LOL
Great to see you are participating in the WDE hope more of the Pastel Forum artists will take one in it's really lots of fun as you and others have found out.
Two foot of snow yikkes, we've had a dusting on the higher hills today.
Kathy

Mz_Sketch_Pad
12-29-2003, 11:19 PM
you work quickly! but this is great!!! love it

Dyin
12-29-2003, 11:20 PM
Kathy...was just thinking about you today! Thought maybe you were away for the holidays...yeah, it was fun, I never really thought I could do anything quick enough to join in lol. So maybe next time I won't push quite so hard and go back to it after...good tip...wow...snow there too...isn't the sunset beautiful there when it bounces off the snow??? aaaahhhh....

Dyin
12-29-2003, 11:22 PM
Ms_Sketch...not usually lol!! Thanks!

MKathleen
12-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Dyin
Kathy...was just thinking about you today! Thought maybe you were away for the holidays...yeah, it was fun, I never really thought I could do anything quick enough to join in lol. So maybe next time I won't push quite so hard and go back to it after...good tip...wow...snow there too...isn't the sunset beautiful there when it bounces off the snow??? aaaahhhh....
Hi Sue:
Yep, went to California to spend Christmas with the family!:clap:
These WDE's are really fun I look forward to each new one!:D
The whole idea is to make a start and share!:clap: I find each one I do gets easier to get something started and you will too :D. I think sometimes I spend more time chosing the image...:D
The sunsets here are really beautiful--haven't seen the sun vs snow effect yet--not enough snow.
We had a big Roadrunner come into our backyard yesterday--by the time I got the camera it was gone. Dang it....
Hope to see ya at this weekends WDE I think I may be Hosting.:D
Kathy

Dyin
12-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Well, if you get enough snow on the surrounding mountains the sunset will either turn it an unreal golden color or the prettiest pinky purple you ever saw...but it's quick so have that camera ready! I'll try to make the WDE...my biggest problem is I forget...:rolleyes:

majestaero
12-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Isn't working like that liberating Sue? I did a little oil recently that was really loose and found I really liked it too, even though it had some drastic mistakes! I'm especially impressed because yours is OP! It's those magic new Holbeins :p

I just discovered those WDE...didn't participate this time around, but now I know to keep an eye out!

Linda

Dyin
12-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Let's see....Saturday at noon your time I believe...in the WC Gallery in the Critique forum....see ya there!