PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need alternative to paypal fast

laurali
12-28-2003, 12:04 AM
I am so annoyed and frustrated. A buyer found my website and wants to buy a painting. I sent him a paypal invoice. He set up a paypal account. When he tried to enter his credit card info, paypal arbitrarily decided he couldn't spend that much. I did some research and paypal has a vague clause about spending limits for new accounts.

I don't want to lose the sale. Does anyone know of an alternative to Paypal that would enable this buyer to pay by credit card? I am in the U.S. and this is a non-ebay sale.

Thanks,

Laura

arteitaliana
12-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Have you tried splitting the amount in two different invoices?
What type of account do you have with PayPal? Maybe there is a limit to what YOU can receive?
Also, Bid Pay used to be a good alternative but it will cost your client $5 ( you can deduct that amount from the total invoice if you want to be nice to him). BidPay will send you a Money Order so is not as immediate as PayPal but your client will be able to pay wih a credit card. I haven't used BidPay in a long time ...hopefully they are still around.

laurali
12-28-2003, 01:01 AM
I don't think the limit is on my side. I received a similar amount last month on a commissioned piece with no problem. He said the message was that he'd exceeded his spending limit.

I thought I'd try splitting the invoice if I can't find a quick alternative. I'm not sure if the limit is per transaction or per month (I remember when I signed up with paypal, there was a $500 per month limit on withdrawls for the first four months). Paypal is no help. They have some vague gobblety-gook with no hard numbers or rules. I just hope he doesn't decide the deal is flaky and back out. He's a first-time art buyer.

Laura

ElizaLeahy
12-28-2003, 01:10 AM
Western Union Money TRANSFER (not money order). Then you just go to one of their offices (we have them in the post offices here too) and give your details and they hand over the money. It's as good as paypal, maybe better as it's basically cash in hand.

But there is a fee on his side and I don't know what it is.

arteitaliana
12-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Western Union Money TRANSFER (not money order). Then you just go to one of their offices (we have them in the post offices here too) and give your details and they hand over the money. It's as good as paypal, maybe better as it's basically cash in hand

are you talking about BidPay, Eliza?
I used to cash their Western Union Money Trasfers at my bank. The fee was $5 payable by the buyer.

Laura...maybe the client has exceded his credit card limit?

surreal
12-28-2003, 02:09 AM
Hi Laura,

Let us know how this dilemna works out.

You have my sympathies.

ElizaLeahy
12-28-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Rita Monaco

are you talking about BidPay, Eliza?
I used to cash their Western Union Money Trasfers at my bank. The fee was $5 payable by the buyer.

Laura...maybe the client has exceded his credit card limit?

I don't know what BidPay is. I am talking about Western Union. Are they related?

surreal
12-28-2003, 02:49 AM
This is now bidpay:
http://www.auctionpayments.com/

jamilyn
12-28-2003, 03:13 AM
When someone first signs up with paypal and they aren't yet verified (address verified) there is a limit to how much they can send. This is to protect the sellers until the person has a validated account. I don't think there is much you can do to get around it. There used to be other online payment services but I think they have closed down. You could just ask him to mail a check too ... they may be perfectly willing to do that.

ale.l
12-28-2003, 05:44 AM
I have thoroughly investigated this:

Bidpay is a Western Unions affilate and it works fine. They send the seller a check while the buyer pays online with a credit card. You can ship as soon as you are notified by Bidpay that the payment has been made. You don't have to wait for the check.

Western Union Money Transfer is instant payment but ridiculously expensive. Something like 15% of the transaction!!! Check at their site.

M.A.
12-28-2003, 05:59 AM
What about http://www.ccnow.com ... I used them about three or four years ago and they were a good company to deal with.

laurali
12-28-2003, 10:46 AM
I asked paypal and got this back:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your concerns. I am
happy to assist you further.

Verification is necessary to further verify identity and to lift the
sending limit on an account. Once the limit is reached, the only way to
continue to use your PayPal account to send money through PayPal is to
become verified.

To find out how to become Verified and lift your sending limit on your
account, click https://www.paypal.com/VERIFY or copy and paste the
entire link into the address bar. This will bring up a 'Get Verified'
page with a checklist of what you still need to complete to become
Verified.

To learn more on the benefits of a verified status click
https://www.paypal.com/verifyFAQ or copy and paste the entire link into
the address bar.

We are committed to making your PayPal experiences pleasant and
fulfilling.

To become "verified", he'll have to put in his checking account information. I think that is totally ridiculous and I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to. Paypal could put the transaction on hold and verify it with the credit card company.

He doesn't want to pay by check, although he might warm to the idea.

I will check out ccnow. I noticed some ebay auctions with it.

Laura

surreal
12-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Good luck to you, Laura!

How about payment via money order?

laurali
12-28-2003, 11:25 AM
My buyer went through the verification process. Paypal says they need a few days to process it before he can pay me. How helpful that paypal gives new buyers so many opportunities to back out of a sale (there should be a smiley for someone gritting their teeth).

If the payment didn't go through (as in a chargeback), they would have taken out of my paypal account anyway. It's not like they would have been stuck.

Laura

surreal
12-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by laurali
My buyer went through the verification process. Paypal says they need a few days to process it before he can pay me. How helpful that paypal gives new buyers so many opportunities to back out of a sale (there should be a smiley for someone gritting their teeth).

If the payment didn't go through (as in a chargeback), they would have taken out of my paypal account anyway. It's not like they would have been stuck.

Laura

So sorry to hear about this very annoying and frustrating experience!

pampe
12-28-2003, 11:49 AM
there are electonic money orders I use for international sales.....PAYINGFAST.COM
Good luck

gsb55
12-29-2003, 01:27 PM
As I understand it, you don't have to have a paypal account to pay with a credit card. Over the summer I sold pieces at an art show to people who went over to the local Internet cafe and used a credit card to send money to my paypal account. I checked my email with my cell phone/PDA and confirmed the payments.

I'm not sure if this has changed since then.

laurali
12-29-2003, 07:19 PM
You don't have to have a paypal account to pay by credit card, provided it's under a certain amount (paypal won't give the limit). Because this amount was over whatever the unwritten limit is, they wouldn't process the transaction until the buyer not only signed up for a paypal account, but a verified one as well. This was the response paypal gave me when I emailed them about the problem.

He said he spent over an hour on paypal trying to figure out what why the payment wouldn't go through.

Laura

tmcclary
12-30-2003, 09:21 PM
I accept several types of payment. Lots of people do not like to you use paypal.

www.ecount.com/classic --$200 a day limit until you verify your billing address, you need a credit card to sign up, NO transaction or sign-up fee, there is a $2 per deposit fee to transfer money into your acount from your credit card, they offer an atm/debit card to access the account (small initial fee I think).

www.propay.com --can be used as an online service like paypal and ecount, or as a merchant credit card account. There is a one time fee to sign up ($35 when I did it). $250 per transaction limit and a monthly limit unless you put down a security depost. You can send secure invoices through email for clients to pay using Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. The % they take out is higher than paypal, but it has secured sales for me that I would not otherwise have closed.

I don't take bidpay now, but if someone requested it I would sign up for that too.