PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Pricing Suggestions

surreal
12-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Hi Guys,
This is in acrylic on canvas and is 10" x 8."
*I am very disappointed with it, but that is besides the point*

I want to sell it on ebay and am clueless about pricing with this one.

I would love to hear from seasoned ebayers.
Thanks in advance.
It is not ready to hang - it is not on heavy weight stretchers and i didn't attach eyehooks and wire

TeAnne
12-27-2003, 07:18 PM
She is gorgeous Nina :clap: :clap: :clap: For that size, others here have told me to set it at $39.95 :D

surreal
12-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi Te,
Thanks for your enthusiastic response!

I somehow think I should start at a lower price with a reserve.

But, I will keep your suggestion in mind! :)

Thanks very much for responding!
I have been impatiently waiting for responses.
:)

LOL

pampe
12-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Nina

I am not sure, but what did you sell other acrylics for?

I think it's time to put some consisyency to size and medium and price.

I'm doing that starting in January

Otherwise it seems we skip all over the board

surreal
12-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi Pam,

I have never sold a nude painting before.

I have only sold drawings of nudes in the past!

ElizaLeahy
12-27-2003, 09:01 PM
I'm a little disapointed that she is so small. The point of going from pen and ink to acrylic is that you can increase your size without greatly increasing your work load.

Larger nudes sell. 8 x 10 will sell if you keep the price down. I'm sorry to be negative, but I'm only trying to help.

Think of the nude you have up at the moment who is front on.

Think of what she would look like in acrylics if she was 24" high or more! (then FP it :)

I hope you have some bigger canvas's as well?

This one I would start at $29 and see if she sells. She is still very good,just not as large as I envisioned.

Is the canvas gallery wrap?

surreal
12-27-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi Eliza,
Thanks so much for providing feedback.

I will not paint a nude as large as say 24" x 18" as it would be too time-consuming.

As it is, this painting that I am unhappy with took about 2 1/2 hours to paint.

arteitaliana
12-27-2003, 09:28 PM
A nude and a phallic symbol...interesting.
I would start under $30 as Eliza has suggested, and no reserve.....your price will go up according to the number of people who see it and how many of those want it. Acrylics is the way to go, Nina!

surreal
12-27-2003, 09:29 PM
I will do a 10 day auction, in any case, and will put it up for auction tonight in 2 hours.

kjsspot
12-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Nina, just for the heck of it, why not give a larger canvas a shot at least once. You may find that it doesn't actually take much longer than your smaller one. You won't know until you try. Also, you'll get faster with time. The first few times working in a new medium always takes longer.

arteitaliana
12-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Is almost 7pm on the west coast now. Listing in two hours maybe too late for the east coast of US which is 3 hours ahead.
You listing will appear and end around midnight on the east coast.
I suggest you list at no later than 7:30 PDT

surreal
12-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks so much for the words of wisdom.

I went against the advice of folk I respect a great deal and started the painting at $2.00 with a reserve of $35.00.

Thanks very much for your advice, which is greatly appreciated.

If the painting doesn't sell, I will heed your advice next time!

You are all great!

edit:
*the gallery pic sux, so i hope a repeat buyer will be interested in purchasing it*
LOL

TeAnne
12-27-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by surreal

edit:
*the gallery pic sux, so i hope a repeat buyer will be interested in purchasing it*
LOL

ahhhhh it's no too bad :) Your shop is looking good with all them there females 'n' trees 'n' things :D

surreal
12-27-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by TeAnne

ahhhhh it's no too bad :) Your shop is looking good with all them there females 'n' trees 'n' things :D

Thank you, Te!
You have cheered me up!
:D

arteitaliana
12-27-2003, 10:46 PM
I really like your landscapes, Nina. Do you ever put them up for auction?

surreal
12-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Rita Monaco
I really like your landscapes, Nina. Do you ever put them up for auction?
Yes I do, Rita.
And they don't sell!
lol

*i put up 2 very traditional (small) landscape paintings that I disliked (that were very traditional, when I was an ebay newbie) and that sold for $45.00 each.

The other landscapes are very, very time-consuming and I am adamant about receiving a pricey price for them.
lol

I can't consider them for selling on ebay.
;)

surreal
12-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Now and then, I put some landscapes in my store!
;)

surreal
12-28-2003, 02:05 AM
I decided to change the price of my painting to $29.95.

I will let those who responded to this thread know whether or not the painting sells.

Salairawns
12-28-2003, 05:13 AM
I think you made a fair decision based on your other work. You're selling a 5x8 at 19 dollars; now 8x10 for $29.
This one doesn't have the finer detail your inks have, but she is still very nice. I like the aura surrounding her; almost embryionic.
I too think you should try at least one larger painting in an 11x14 or 16x20, or maybe on of those 12x24's.
Celena

madmum
12-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Nina, I think you could paint larger just as quickly - all you need to do is use bigger brushes!

Your acrylic should sell well, she's clearly in your style and you have collectors already, plus she's larger. Is there any way you can add the same sparkle to acrylics that you have in your drawings? That sparkle really makes your work special.

By the way, I framed the 2 trees in simple frames for my daughter for Christmas and she loved them both! Thank you :)

Ruth

TeAnne
12-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Yeah BIG ones Nina :D

surreal
12-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by madmum

By the way, I framed the 2 trees in simple frames for my daughter for Christmas and she loved them both! Thank you :)

Ruth

I am glad to hear this, Ruth.
Thanks for letting me know!

surreal
12-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi Celena, Ruth and Te,

Thanks so much for your responses.
Painting on a larger scale is something I will think about.
Thanks for your suggestions!
I know myself and my style of painting!
;)

Newwings
12-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Hey, Nina- I like what you said about knowing yourself and your style. Takes awhile to get there, I think. And it's not to say that continuing change and growth aren't good. But you know, for those of us who are comfortable working small, tight, etc- Working bigger often really isn't simply a matter of bigger brushes. Or even larger point sizes :D

I look at it this way- What I'm most comfortable with, what I'm best at is small and detailed. It's second nature to me.
I can express myself best this at this scale. And I'm way too thorough (alright, obsessed with detail :D) to work bigger. The bigger I work, the more detail I can put in. So I do. I can't help it. So I work small. And that's fine. Really, our personal takes, interests, personal strengths, weaknesses, etc- Well, seems to me they all make up who and what we are. And who and what we are is mostly what we have to sell.

Wow, you know, I feel all cheap and dirty, now... :D

Anyhoo- Keep doing what you love, Nina. It looks good :D

Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com

surreal
12-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Newwings
.... And I'm way too thorough (alright, obsessed with detail :D) to work bigger. The bigger I work, the more detail I can put in. So I do. I can't help it. So I work small.......
Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com

Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for your feedback!

Although my work is not anywhere near as detailed as yours, I relate very strongly to what you stated about thoroughness, etc.

To be completely candid: I enjoy drawing with pen on paper and painting with gouache on paper, because there is more freedom from being obsessional about details. (these media are unforgiving and the paper can just take so many layers ;) )
The obsession with detail can be extremely frustrating; I don't know if you experience this frustration or not.

laurali
12-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Your store is looking great, Nina! I love the rainbow fantasy tree.

I don't know anything about the market for nudes, so I can't offer any advice. The starting price seems more than fair to me.

If you paint 11 x 14, you can still use the free USPS boxes (#1095). Depending on the subject and style, larger sizes sometimes take less time because you can paint freer. Painting small requires closer (and more time consuming) work.

That said, I paint my angels small (8 x 10 or 9 x 12) but, personally, I felt people would prefer a small reminder in their home and not a major statement. Maybe I'll try an 11 x 14 as an experiment.

Laura

arteitaliana
12-28-2003, 05:19 PM
I don't think that larger necessarily sells better. My best auction sale was for a 11x14 oil at $489...I have never sold even larger ones for more.
I think that is the image that counts. Some people prefer smaller paintings because they are collectors, while others just need a large, huge painting for decorative purposes.

On ebay there is a market for eveyone.:)

ElizaLeahy
12-28-2003, 05:31 PM
I've found that nudes generally do better large. Landscapes can be just about any size. Wish I did landscapes! I look outside and the world is so beautiful.

jocelynsart
12-28-2003, 07:09 PM
I agree here with Rita. Size is not always a factor. It is often the subject. Large is usually favourable to decorative or fill wall space motives.
Look at Tom Thompson, the Canadian painter from the 40s who died. His landscapes, his studies and some finished pieces, are very small. They are the most beautiful, dramatic and stunning landscapes I can think of off hand. Many were only around 8"x10" in size.
Joss

TeAnne
12-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Newwings
Anyhoo- Keep doing what you love, Nina. It looks good :D

Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com

WOW Fantastic drawings Mark :clap:

Newwings
12-28-2003, 10:18 PM
TeAnne- Thanks! :)

Nina, about obsession with detail- Yeah, it can get a little frustrating at times. I like the challenge of it. I like images that the more you look, the more you find in them. But it's so easy to get carried away, often to the detriment of the drawing...
I guess maintaining that balance between the details and the whole is part of the challenge, too.

Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com

surreal
01-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey Guys!

It has a bid!
:clap:

kjsspot
01-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by surreal
It has a bid!
:clap:

See??? What we tell ya? ;) :clap:

surreal
01-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by kjsspot

See??? What we tell ya? ;) :clap:

You guys are all very smart!
*i am glad that i spend so much time with such an intelligent bunch of folk*

ElizaLeahy
01-02-2004, 05:44 AM
hmmm, they have a proxy on it. Until I get paid for more paintings I can't afford to go higher just now.

But - they have a proxy on it Nina!

surreal
01-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by ElizaLeahy
hmmm, they have a proxy on it. Until I get paid for more paintings I can't afford to go higher just now.

But - they have a proxy on it Nina!

Oh my, Eliza!

I am so flattered that you have bid on this painting!

Must rush off to work now (smiling all the way)!!!