PDA

View Full Version : a recent effort

ProfessorGreibowitz
12-27-2003, 07:17 PM
With some trepidation, he posts a pic!

Here is something I did recently. Prob 98% done. Wish I knew what that last 2% involved! :confused: hehehehehehhe

Quick info:

I used the Vega 2000 airbrush for everything except the unicorn. I used the Iwata HP-SB for the unicorn and a few accents here and there. Createx Sky Blue was used for the sky, moon, waterfall, trees, heck, everything really. I used Golden white for the unicorn even though it isn't a textile paint. It will adhere well enough and this isn't going to be worn or washed. I ripped a piece of posterboard and used it as a mask and sprayed black to get the mountains.

Oh, this was painted on some cheap 1$/yard polyester fabric I got at Walmart. But I have a confession.....

I didn't actually draw the unicorn by hand. :eek:

I copied a horse from the Web, traced it onto some mylar and cut out the body with an exacto knife. I added the mane, tail and horn separately.

I think it would be better if I had used sky blue for the unicorn and then just accented the very top of the main and front of the nose with just a little white. Oh, well. Paint and learn.

So, not bad for my first fabric painting, I guess. I always liked those black velvet paintings so I thought I'd try something like it. This fabric is very dark but it isn't very flat and consequently, it doesn't allow for bright colors. It started as a regular landscape but turned into a moonlight scene.

Critiques are welcomed!

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
12-27-2003, 11:53 PM
This piece is 14" x 25".

Tim

acyaws
12-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Oh that is so beautiful and scerine I cant spell it...lol...but I can feel it....lol

Cherri
12-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Tim

Very nicely done. I am not a schooled professional, but here goes.

I would add a bit of reflective light on the mountains and some of the trees. Maybe a bit more to the bottom edge of the painting to bring it together. (the area under and to the right of the falls)

Then stretch it a bit and frame that sucker! Great Job.

ProfessorGreibowitz
12-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Yes, I thought about the reflection off of the mountains...... I decided not to do it but maybe it would add a touch more realism to it. They do seem a tad flat without any details or reflected light. But then I have been thinking about the idea of combining a non-realism with realism in the same painting for added contrast. Sort of like the way artists draw a face and make the face really good near the center but fade the color and detail the farther out they go so the eye is more drawn to the good part. Not sure if that applies here, though. hehehehhe

Does the black space at the lower right upset the balance of the painting? I thought it might add to the contrast. If it seems like something is missing, what would I add? More rocks? Some really HUGE rocks that seem closer than the left set of rocks? Would all that extra light detract from the focal points of the waterfall and unicorn???? There's always PhotoShop! :evil:

Also, is the unicorn's body too light? Should it be darker and in more shadow with more of a hightlight where the moon is hitting?

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, folks!

I want to post more stuff and pose more general questions so if I get on your nerves with too many questions, just.... ignore me! I can get on a roll sometimes and I'm very um.... :rolleyes: strong-willed. hehehehhh

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
12-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Cherri,

That black space just under the far mountain range wasn't really trees in my mind but I see how they COULD be trees if, like you suggested, I would add some highlights to some of the tops of them. I think that would add more distance to the mountains, too. Ah my work is not yet done.

Thanks for the advice. I think that will really add more depth to it.

Maybe I'll post another pic after I'm REALLY finished. heheh

Tim

Cherri
12-28-2003, 03:12 PM
LOL

Tim, I was not talking about trees under the mountain.. I did not see any trees... LOL... I see trees now.. hehehe

I was talking about the tree line behind the Uni.

This is really a nice piece of work though. I know my daughter just saw it on the computer and she wants it. LOL So see, you be a painter dude!.

Cher

Penny220
12-28-2003, 07:46 PM
The unicorn is fine white, this is a typical rendition of one. Reason being they are legend to be "the" most magical of creatures and therefore... glowing white.

I would tweak your highlights a bit all over esp. the waterfall but...go easy.

leave the imagined tree line alone. The mind makes it up and it's better that way.

Lower right corner- a tree top?

The clouds are flat. I would add another layer of them and add some fore-clouds especially in front of the moon and detail the moon a bit.

The far left tree trunk needs to be grounded or a fog/mist more apparent.

I like the over all concept and the general composition is pleasant, eye moves from left to right but then there is nothing on the right to hold the eye so it goes back to the left. This would be corrected if eye moved towards an interesting moon/cloud formation and better if from there it moved to the foreground right.

Play with photo shop or whatever program you use and experiment in color. I think a bit and I do mean just a splash of color would be nice in the foreground. Possibly green in the grass area, or a pink on the rocks.

My two cents

Penny

ProfessorGreibowitz
12-28-2003, 08:26 PM
I'll keep working on this and I hope I don't ruin it! hahaha

I always get to the end and fear I'll ruin it by adding more. Well, so what? It's just an experiment anyway.

Thanks for the ideas and i will post it once more when I'm "done". hehehehhe

Cherri, thanks for the compliment and maybe I'll sell one someday. I did sell a couple of things. I did a painting of an iceberg for my boss and made $370. Did it on portrait grade canvas 2' x 3'.

Tim

Penny220
12-28-2003, 10:48 PM
my personal rule, when I get a painting to the point where I worry that by doing more I will ruin it I

STOP

Every painting has this point and I have learned for myself when I hit that point. It means walking away "thinking" it could be better but "knowing" I will probably only make it worse. Never has anyone been able to point out all of the things I think is wrong in a painting, I think we are WAY to hard on ourselves.

Your painting looked great from the point you posted it so don't worry too much about improving it.

ProfessorGreibowitz
12-29-2003, 02:44 AM
hehehe

I added a little texture to the sky, light to the mountain edge, some treetops across the way and a little haze across the moon. The treetops didn't really knock my socks off (I was having trouble with my Iwata clogging up on that dang Createx paint).

I think it's a little more real looking overall. I'll probably stop here. Still think the dark right corner is okay but maybe I'm wrong.

Comments/critiques are still welcome.

Penny220
12-29-2003, 09:08 AM
I think you got it :clap: The little bit you added makes it much more interesting. Great job :clap:

Penny

kahlua
12-29-2003, 10:52 AM
This is perfect the way it is! The added touches really brought out the details in this painting. Everything looks great, and I think the corner is fine black, the dark upper left balances it out (in my opinion).

ProfessorGreibowitz
12-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Thank you Penny and Kahlua! I like it all but I'm now worried that the tree line in front of the mountains is somehow too stiff. Like soldiers standing in a line. Not enough depth. sigh... :(

But, I'll prob leave this one and maybe do another just like it and see if I can improve upon it.

Thanks for the detailed advice you all! I'm loving this forum. I have only seen a few people paint in person and have only seen a few on TV and videos (remember, I'm in Arkansas!) but this is cool to be able to exchange info and pics and get instant feedback. The WIPS have helped a lot, too. I'd like to do a WIP someday but I feel like I'd be the blind leading the blind. Want to wait til I have a better handle. In fact, I've never painted on good illustration board like CS10 or Crescent 9208. I think that will change today or tomorrow. I'm going to do some roses and make it look like one of those old photographs. Sort of gray-brown.

I wonder if I should take pics along the way in case it turns out nice? heheheh or, do all the WIPs have to really be "in progress"?

Tim

kahlua
12-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Keep in mind that when doing a WIP, you will most likely learn more from it than anyone else will. You also do not have to be an expert to do a WIP, everyone will learn something from you. It is good just to see how others go about doing their work. That said, make your next piece a WIP and we will all follow along as you work on it.

Penny220
12-29-2003, 08:28 PM
You can take pics as you go and post a wip out of it when you are done. I am still taking film pictures and I have no other way of doing it. As I work I take pics, when I get the roll developed I post them and continue that way. WIPs are a great way for everyone to learn.

Penny

RedWolfRising
01-02-2004, 02:20 AM
Dear Professor,

Words will not even come near to encapsulating my reaction here, so let me be brief...

...breath-taking...

...and I do so mean it. Fabulous job!

Be well,
RWR

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Wow! :eek: Thanks for the nice comment, RWR. That was my first complete painting on fabric. I will do more but I have no idea what the subject matter will be. I just paint occasionally when I am in the mood or when I get an idea I think is decent.

Thanks again!

Tim

Airbrushkarin
12-06-2005, 01:34 PM
just looking up old back logs catching up and saw this and wanted to say Tim great job..... no need to type back just wanted to take notice of something I liked...... great lightening with it too....

optic
12-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Tim,:wave:

Very nice to see you back. I have always liked the horses including mythological unicorn. Nice atmosphere you created in the pic.

greenjack
12-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Fine looking piece Tim, the sky and the highlights really finished it off. It's good to have you back, hope you're well.

gtech
12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Tim is not back, as sad as it can be.

Karin was commenting an old post.

Gilles