PDA

View Full Version : Derwent Portrait CPs

TeAnne
07-31-2001, 08:33 PM
I was in Target yesterday and browsing in the art area and I came across a tin of 24 Coloured pencils especially for Portraiture. They are gorgeous, the colours in the tin are quite different to the ones in my tin of 72. I didn't have $26 on me so I didn't buy them. I will be going back there though, you betcha.
So has anyone else seen them? If so, are they any good?

MissMouse
07-31-2001, 09:39 PM
I use the Derwent pencils and love then as they are blendable. They also erase easy. I buy mine at an Art supply. I did not no Target had an art spot will have to check that out.

Lulu
07-31-2001, 09:46 PM
I didn't know that Derwent did a separate portraiture set - the literature I have doesn't indicate that. Wow - sounds a good price too.

TeAnne
07-31-2001, 10:08 PM
Hi MissMouse, I don't know about target over there but here they sell, Derwent, Faber~Castell and Crayola along with cheap junk and cheap sketch books, and the normal school items. Rulers, erasers, excersise books. Office stationary etc.

Hey Lulu, :) It was exciting to see, I was South of the "Swan River" in Perth, I think it's snobsville! I've not seen them North of the river yet. I hope to though. :D

Ivyleaf
07-31-2001, 10:23 PM
I have a graphite set of Derwent pencils and they are most lovely to work with. Have not tried the Derwent CP yet though. Does anyone know what the binder is in them???

TeAnne
07-31-2001, 10:50 PM
Mine dosnt say, I will check it out though.

I have the water pencil graphites too, now they are great :D

Still looking but I found this. :D
http://www.pencils.co.uk/p_history.htm
Here is a huge AltaVista search link
http://au.altavista.com/q?pg=q&q=Derwent+coloured+pencils&kl=en&what=web&search.x=34&search.y=6

Ivyleaf
07-31-2001, 11:50 PM
Let me see...the CP Solution Book, duh should have looked there first, shows 2 brands of Derwent, one artist grade and one studio grade...afraid they don't say what the difference is here, except the artist grade one is med. hardness and the studio grade is hard hardness. Artists version has a 4.0mm lead diameter, studio has 3.5mm lead diameter. Both are showing wax as their binder. I do know that since they have listed them in the book, they consider them to be good pencils all around though. The artist brand casing is the paint color of the lead, while the studio brand casing is black, with the tips being colored. Don't know if this info helps or not! The artist brand has 120 colors, the studio line shows 72. Of course that may have well changed since the book came out!

(Can anyone tell I love this book?)

sherville
08-01-2001, 06:11 AM
Hiya TeAnne,
I've finally found my way over to this forum... :D
Yeah, I've seen lots of different ranges of Derwent packs at our Target. Not sure what you have in Perth, but here they have Portrait, Landscape, Pastel Pencils and my favourite... Sketching (which contains chalk pencils, conte, graphite sticks etc) They also have the Studio and Artist Coloured Pencils and Watercolour Pencils.
Who would have thought Target could be so useful? I got my set from there but it's pretty tricky finding a pack that hasn't already been cracked open by some kid and had all the pencils stolen out of it... sheesh, if I was gonna go shoplifting, pencils would be the last thing I would bother stealing.
I was once told by the "Art Shop Guy" that Studio is like the student version and Artist is like the professional version... But I really don't know - I can't tell any difference.
If you ever go back to "snobsville" and buy the portrait pack and create another masterpiece don't forget to post it!! :)

Leaflin
08-01-2001, 11:45 AM
That is what I use and I love them.
Have a set of their Watercolour pencils too.

arlene
08-01-2001, 01:13 PM
Derwent are a good brand. I have the WC pencils. I would stick with the professional grade over the student.

The difference between the two is the amount of pure pigment in them. No matter how much you try, when using student grade, you're not going to get the rich colorations like you do with a professional grade pencil.

Also the derwent are bit harder than Prismacolors, which is a nice addition when needed. but like anything it's all a matter of personal choice!

TeAnne
08-01-2001, 06:34 PM
Sherville, I am off to snobsville today, I know what you mean about the un sealed pencils. Rotten horror heads. grrrrrrr

Arlene, I have done up a colour chart of the Studio verses the Watercoloured pencils on the black paper. Could you do one of the Prismacolours so that people can see the different effects. Just a thought.

wendee
08-01-2001, 09:39 PM
Was just wondering around the site when i spoted what you said Teanne about Dewent cp..well i got the water colour ones...but just posting to tell you that K-Mart also sell them and they are cheaper there than Target....:D :D

wendee
08-01-2001, 09:42 PM
OH TeAnne bye the way so do Big W..cheap there also..Hugs

TeAnne
08-02-2001, 05:58 AM
Well, I went to snobsville :D and I got the 24 pencils (I thought it was 26) and bonus, they were on special :D $ 16.80
OMG I saw the Artist Tin too, 3 layers of gorgeous colours 108 of them. $88.00 I wanted them so bad :crying: But I gotta use up all these others first. lolol

PhilC
08-02-2001, 08:53 AM
TeAnne You don't have to use up all the others first. your just adding to what you have.

Now I have to try and find a Target stroe around here...oh closet on is like a 150 miles form me. and the Walmart Store here does not carry them.

I also use bouth Prismacolor and Derwent. have to do some travling to get'em.

PhilC

TeAnne
08-02-2001, 06:04 PM
Phil, good luck with your Target. :) It must be very frustrating.

Here is a sample of the Portrait colours and the Faber Metalics. I saw too that Derwent has Metalics too but more on the bronzy side.

yogi
08-04-2001, 12:10 AM
Thank you for doing up the color chart, TeAnne. Didn't realize the watercolour pencils would be so much more brilliant on the black than the regular colored pencils. Neat!

TeAnne
08-04-2001, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by yogi
Thank you for doing up the color chart, TeAnne. Didn't realize the watercolour pencils would be so much more brilliant on the black than the regular colored pencils. Neat! You're very welcome Yogi, :D I always use the watercolour pencils for the portraits. I still havn't tried out the portrait ones yet.

marylin h
08-04-2001, 08:06 AM
I was impressed that "down under" even had Targets and Walmarts. See how uneducated I am.

TeAnne
08-04-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by mha56
I was impressed that "down under" even had Targets and Walmarts. See how uneducated I am. heheh We are quite civilized down here :D We don't have Walmart. We have Target, K-Mart, Coles, Woolworths, BigW, Fosseys, Myer, Aherns, Bi-Lo, Dewsons, KFC, McDonalds, Hungry Jacks (aka Burger King) and many more. No Kangaroos hopping up and down the main streets.

Ivyleaf
08-04-2001, 10:53 PM
:confused: What no kangaroos???? :D :D :D The demo you have put together here TeAnne is awesome :) Thanks!

sherville
08-05-2001, 08:41 AM
No Kangaroos hopping up and down the main streets.
Don't tell them that, that's what keeps our tourist trade going ;)

Hey, I didn't know you did a demo, I'm going to go off and look for it right now.... :)

TeAnne
08-05-2001, 06:58 PM
Not sure which Demo Ivy is talking about really. The Portrait on Black or the little samples in this thread. :D
Here is my Portrait Demo Link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/TeAnne/121

Thanks Ivyleaf :)

Ivyleaf
08-05-2001, 07:03 PM
:o I meant the one in this thread, but both are excellent :)

TeAnne
08-05-2001, 07:10 PM
Thanks Ivyleaf :D

Ivyleaf
08-08-2001, 01:29 AM
Here are the 120 prismacolors on black:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2001/prismacolorsblk.jpg

:)

Ivy, who now has all 120 sharpened finally...LOL.

TeAnne
08-08-2001, 04:36 AM
heeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa good onya Ivyleaf, thanks :evil: Some nice colours there. :cat:

Ivyleaf
08-09-2001, 01:44 AM
Ohhhhhhh, yes, some lovely colors...now just to pick the ones for the froggy...lol :)

TeAnne
08-12-2001, 07:32 PM
Alllll the yummy greens. Sorry, Ivy this thread diappeared and I didnt see your post.
Wanna see froggy :evil:

Elankat
05-13-2002, 06:00 PM
Has anyone tried the Derwent signature colored pencils?

TeAnne
05-13-2002, 07:47 PM
No, I havn't. I have the portrait ones that I've used twice.
I have my Prismas on order. 120 of them :evil:
Originally posted by Elankat

arlene
05-13-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Elankat

No, but i've talked to a few people who have tried them...said they're excellent...

i'd try them, but they're more money than the prismacolors.