PDA

View Full Version : Banner Ad Competition


surreal
12-27-2003, 12:39 PM
There is an incredible amount of banner ad competition from
non-art related things.

I did searches on one of my banner ad terms this morning and not one banner ad showed up for an artist!!!

How have banner ads been working for you in the past 2 weeks?

Have you had the same experience I related above when searching for your own terms?

:)

Ivyleaf
12-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Hits have been down the past few weeks.

I have noticed a lot of non-art banner competition as well.

Then again, I don't have complete faith in the banner ad setup as it is. There are too many flaws in their system that make it unstable as a reliable way to consistantly advertise. This is from my experience only, and I will continue to advertise there despite its flaws, however I would not trust it to be totally accurate.

My 2 cents, for what they're worth...
:) :) :)
Ivy

laurali
12-28-2003, 07:30 PM
All I've been able to use are specific subject/art phrases. I was either outbid or keywords-on-ebay decided my keywords were "too general" (which doesn't do any good--I need to have keywords by subject, not just art related).

I wasn't even halfway through the free $50 they gave away awhile back. I went ahead and upped my per-click bid for the angels--I have a few listed right now and more are coming. I thought I'd do that instead of FPing one. I FP'd one in November and it only bid up a few dollars.

Laura

surreal
12-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Ivyleaf
Hits have been down the past few weeks.

I have noticed a lot of non-art banner competition as well.

Then again, I don't have complete faith in the banner ad setup as it is. There are too many flaws in their system that make it unstable as a reliable way to consistantly advertise. This is from my experience only, and I will continue to advertise there despite its flaws, however I would not trust it to be totally accurate.

My 2 cents, for what they're worth...
:) :) :)
Ivy

Your 2 cents are worth alot!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

surreal
12-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by laurali
All I've been able to use are specific subject/art phrases. I was either outbid or keywords-on-ebay decided my keywords were "too general" (which doesn't do any good--I need to have keywords by subject, not just art related).

I wasn't even halfway through the free $50 they gave away awhile back. I went ahead and upped my per-click bid for the angels--I have a few listed right now and more are coming. I thought I'd do that instead of FPing one. I FP'd one in November and it only bid up a few dollars.

Laura

Laura,
Do you have a plan in mind to stop fp'ing and use the ad banners instead?
:)

laurali
12-28-2003, 09:30 PM
I mix & match but mostly rely on the banners. Both FPs and banners advertise your work and remind buyers you exist. I don't use FP's that often because they're generally disappointing for me (I'm lucky if they sell at all and very lucky if I make back the $20). If I have a subject that is selling well, or an early bid, I'll try an FP. I like banners because I can advertise all my work (and add in keywords without spamming) and choose the amount.

Laura

Originally posted by surreal


Laura,
Do you have a plan in mind to stop fp'ing and use the ad banners instead?
:)

surreal
12-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Hi Laura,

It looks like your angels are selling well! :)

And it seems like you've got a good marketing strategy for yourself!

:)

surreal
12-29-2003, 12:47 PM
I am still working on my free $50.00 for ebay banner ads.

I am paying enough money in one category so that I have no artist competition.

But those darn non-art ads are standing in the way of me getting views!

I will have to fp stuff in order to get views!

Paintbrush74
12-29-2003, 10:30 PM
I tried to take advantage of the $50 give-away but after I went to all the trouble, it kept taking me back to the beginning to say that I had timed out. Of course, it wouldn't let me log in either. I guess I just did something wrong and was too tired to figure it out.

A worse problem is that I just did a search for the word "woman" in art, and about 10 thousand (it seems) 1-cent paintings came up. Naturally, they filled up the first page and most of the second. How in the world does a person swim through that? I've started going bold and putting a 50 cent line in that says, "Truly Original Art; not a copy." I thought about suggesting in the description that if the bidder wants original art, he/she might set a minimum price in the search. Of course, I don't want to mess up any of you wet canvasers that use low minumums, but I don't think it would hurt any of you if I suggested $1 as minimum search amount. It would sweep out a lot of non-original stuff. This is just a thought that is forming in my head. Of course, the bidder would have to come to the auction in the first place to read that bit of advice.

I've thought of going FP but I really need to make a few sales to justify that. Baby steps, ya know. I wish there could be separate sections for originals and copies. I suppose it's already been suggested. ... Sorry, I've begun to ramble...I suppose I'm getting everything waay off subject.