PDA

View Full Version : showing art with sofa on ebay

Ali the Cat
12-26-2003, 05:15 PM
hi,

does anyone know where people get the images of sofas on ebay? they display their art canvas above the sofa to show bidders what it will look like in a real setting.

Can you copy a photo of a sofa from any site selling sofas? or would that be breaking copyright laws?

Ali :confused:

Alan Cross
12-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Why not use a photo of your own Sofa , and use that....People do like to see what it would look like on a wall....
Alan :)

Ali the Cat
12-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the idea Alan.....the only thing is my sofa is a bit tatty, not like the nice modern leather ones on ebay :(

Alan Cross
12-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Not a problem how about one of your rich friends...in fact I don 't mine taking a photo of mine and you can use that if you want.

pampe
12-27-2003, 07:51 PM
There are some old threads here you might search where we discussed using room setting, frames, etc.

Lots of useful information.

You can surf and see

wayfarer
12-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Definitely recommend setting up your own shot. Nothing worse than seeing a painting that is not in proportion to the setting.

Chris

tonigart
12-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Chris, YES, make sure the painting is proportional to the setting. I have seen others show, say a 12x16 painting, but on the wall it looks more like a 24x30. Then they say the picture may not represent the paintings true size???? Talk about confusing the buyer and setting yourself up for neg feedback. I think it is deceptive since many buyers look at photos but may not read the description that good.

Thanks for bringing up one of my peeves!

Take care,
Toni

Ali the Cat
12-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Alan that would be great if you could do that!! thankyou so much

Thanks Pampe for advice, I have been trying searches but nothing seems to come up, maybe I need to try in google

Hi Toni and Chris,
Yes I agree it can be a bit misleading. I would try and get my image proportionate to the sofa. (proportionate).....is that a word!!! or have I spelt it wrong :eek:

Ali

kjsspot
12-29-2003, 07:35 PM
I spent a long time searching on a royalty free website that offers photos. This was a site that allowed you to pay per image. I don't recall the name of it. I basically did a google search. Took me quite a while though and it's still not the best photo but at least it's legal. LoL

I size my paintings proportionate to a 5 foot couch. I'm just guessing at the width of the couch as it only has two cushions. I created a info file with the ratio for each size of painting that I use. Now I just pull that up to see what size to make my painting for the couch. It's still an approximation but it should at least be pretty close.

Alan Cross
12-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Ali the Cat
Alan that would be great if you could do that!! thankyou so much

Thanks Pampe for advice, I have been trying searches but nothing seems to come up, maybe I need to try in google

Hi Toni and Chris,
Yes I agree it can be a bit misleading. I would try and get my image proportionate to the sofa. (proportionate).....is that a word!!! or have I spelt it wrong :eek:

Ali

Do you want the photo with a painting behind or just the blank wall?

pampe
12-29-2003, 09:15 PM
I use a photo of a sofa here and then manip the room to be empty

There are not that many royalty free site, as Kerry stated

Keep looking...I'll look for some of the old threads when Iget a change

CarlyHardy
12-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Perhaps we could ask for some photos of rooms or sofas and put them in the reference library where they could be resourced any time someone needs one.

carly

jocelynsart
12-30-2003, 08:00 AM
Hi all: I will upload some for you guys as soon as I get my digital back. We should all think of one keyword we want to insert so that someone searching can find them all at once?
Joss

Alan Cross
12-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Ok Ali here is one shot I did today....will it work for you?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2003/13186-sofa.jpg

Ali the Cat
12-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Kjspot, thats a good idea to make a reference file for the ratio of paintings :)

Yes I think that's a really good Idea Carly

Thanks Pampe, when the old threads are found maybe we could link them with the photos in reference library, so people can read about settings etc

Great photo Alan thanks, maybe we could use this as the first one for the reference file?

Look forward to seeing your photos Joss :)

Ali

Glitzy Glass
12-31-2003, 09:16 PM
I couldn't resist working on Alan's elegant couch - just cut the beautiful pic out and paste (with his permission of course)

CarlyHardy
12-31-2003, 09:36 PM
I posted some sofas and a couple of rooms that I use in the Reference Library.

Keyword = Ebay

Here is one of them...

TeAnne
01-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Thanks Carly, they're cool :)

Alan Cross
01-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Glitzy Glass
I couldn't resist working on Alan's elegant couch - just cut the beautiful pic out and paste (with his permission of course)

Thats great Denise you did a good job!

pampe
01-01-2004, 09:36 PM
the blandest of the bland...I use it a lot....add colors and patterns:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2004/4054-sofa.jpg

Ali the Cat
01-02-2004, 01:27 PM
nice photos people :clap:

I might traipse out with my camera when feeling better and take some photos of friends lounges etc for the reference file...although my camera isn't that good it's a bit dark and the batteries run out so quickly. I need to get a new one :(

ale.l
02-17-2004, 02:47 AM

Alan was kind to offer this picture for 'hosting' our art. I had no luck in trying to digitally erase the original painting on the wall to be able to paste my own.
I wonder if any of you have a super software to do that. I used cloning and it didn't work out.

Maybe somoene has a better hand?

deedee914
02-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Alan was kind to offer this picture for 'hosting' our art. I had no luck in trying to digitally erase the original painting on the wall to be able to paste my own.
I wonder if any of you have a super software to do that. I used cloning and it didn't work out.

Maybe somoene has a better hand?

I just got some great photos of modern couches on simple white background etc. A couple are my own. I'm rather familiar with photographing my pieces against the buyer's interior so make sure if you use these the ratio to size is correct. Also, I guess it helps if the decor supports the piece.

Let me know if you want me to post them here. Since these are mine I'll allow on WC to use them.

Dee-
www.deedee914.com

Paintonbrush
02-17-2004, 11:30 PM
I have a few if you would like to use them.
Its nice that we share. I found a sofa on the web- a furniture store, and someone else on ebay who is using the same sofa, emailed me, and asked me not to use it....sheesh...

Ali the Cat
02-21-2004, 07:08 AM
I just got some great photos of modern couches on simple white background etc. A couple are my own. I'm rather familiar with photographing my pieces against the buyer's interior so make sure if you use these the ratio to size is correct. Also, I guess it helps if the decor supports the piece.

Let me know if you want me to post them here. Since these are mine I'll allow on WC to use them.

Dee-
www.deedee914.com

Hi Dee,

that would be great if you posted them, thankyou :)

Ali

Ali the Cat
02-21-2004, 07:11 AM
I have a few if you would like to use them.
Its nice that we share. I found a sofa on the web- a furniture store, and someone else on ebay who is using the same sofa, emailed me, and asked me not to use it....sheesh...

yes please Paintonbrush....is the sofa free of copyright? I reckon it might be good if people posted pictures on this thread if they wish, and maybe we could make it into a stickie, so people can access the pictures...don't know how one goes about making it into a stickie?

Ali

Madmistic
07-19-2006, 12:28 AM

Ive been searching for a good shot myself, would you mind if I tried this one? and what is the approximate length of the couch?
Thanx!

Cattyindigo
07-19-2006, 10:35 AM
I think it would be great if a photo library of sofa shots was established!

However one thing that annoys me is when artists display paintings in poor proportion, (usually much larger) to the sofa.

As a trained architectural draftsperson (and therefore trained in sizing items lol) I was taught to always look for someting consistent in the sizing that could provide a realistic starting point.

With sofas I have found that width, height, length etc vary considerably, the one thing that seems to remain reasonably consistent (okay within an inch or so) is the height of the seat above the ground, presumably for ergonomic reasons..... (I went shopping with my sister when she wanted a new sofa, at Ikea, so had an opportuniy to test this theory, they even provided us with a tape measure!)

So in terms of sizing your paintings ( I am presuming it will be a cut and paste job) this is a really good starting point.

Good luck in finding a great photo !!!!!