PDA

View Full Version : EBAY scam email

dk_art
12-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Howdy strangers :cool:

Well I just got what looks to be an imposter email sending you to a site asking you to sign in with your ebay name and password. Has anyone else gotten this email ?

------------
"Dear dk-art,
During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we couldn't verify your current information.

Either your information has changed or it is incomplete.
Please click here update and verify your information in your account.
If the account information is not updated to current information within 5 days then, your access to bid or buy on eBay will be restricted.

This eBay notice was sent to based on your eBay account preferences. If you would like to review your notification preferences for other types of communications, click here. If you would like to receive this email in text only, click here.

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright 2003 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners."
-------------------------------------

Where it says "plese click here" the link goes to this URL

seeing the domain name [url]www. ebayus. ws made me suspicious :cool: and why would ebay do this anyway. I wonder how many people have been fooled by this fraud

kiwicockatoo
12-26-2003, 02:16 PM
I've been getting a lot of these lately. I got one that said my ebay account had been used "fradulently by a third party, and would be freezed (sic)" until I click on the link provided and enter my credit card info. The link actually started https: so it looked legit I guess. Then I got an email a few days later saying "you still have not verifyed (sic) your account information! Your account has been suspended and will remain so until this information is provided".

People do fall for these scams. If you remember, a while ago I sold an irish setter to a lady. Turned out she had responded to a similar email and had provided her ebay password to a scammer. This guy then went and bid on every irish setter item on ebay. She was lucky that she just fell for a practical joker instead of getting her credit card charged to the max. But boy did she have a nightmare on her hands clearing up the problem with all the sellers - ebay did not help her at all!

Alan Cross
12-26-2003, 08:14 PM
You have to be real carful when anyone asks you for your user name or pass.....you have to know its the right site or you can get more then your share of scum....
Alan :)

timelady
12-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi all - I've removed the link so that no one clicks it and goes to the fraudulent website. This is to protect members from potentially dangerous software that may try to access their computer from the site. Also had to put in spaces to get rid of the automatic link on the ebay.ws bit.

Proceed with caution. Remember - eBay NEVER asks you to click a link in an email. Neither does Paypal. If you are concerned about your account open a new browser window and access your account the usual way to check for any notices. :)

Tina.

Lee_The_Astonishing
12-27-2003, 04:45 PM
I've had a few similar ones. The link I clicked on asked me to supply not only ebay details, but email password and other confidential stuff that would be of no use to ebay. (I didn't fall for it)

Nasty stuff.

Lee:evil: