PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum with question

Firefly
07-31-2001, 12:47 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I am a beginner and I am hoping to learn as much as I can about acylics being that I don't have time or money for workshops or classes. Plus, I find it very interesting to hear what people have to say on the subject.
Ok, so here's my question. On the Liquitex Basics, when it says "For Beginning Artists" does that mean "student grade"? :cat:

idahogirl
07-31-2001, 01:00 PM
Hi Lauren,

It is my understanding that the Liquitex Basic is student grade. If you can afford to do so, I would suggest that you not use student grade acrylics. There is a noticeable color shift between what you see when they are wet and dry. They dry quite a bit darker. This can be VERY frustrating. I have had good luck with Utecht, Golden and the more expensive Liquitex.

Happy painting,

Dee

Firefly
07-31-2001, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your advice!

Einion
07-31-2001, 03:39 PM
Hi Firefly, there has been quite a number of recommendations from a number of us on favourite brands <A HREF=http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13483>here</A> recently, you might like to check it out.

Personally, I would avoid Liquitex as they tend to be under-pigmented in my experience (their Raw Umber is particularly bad for instance).

Winsor & Newton (my favourite) are much better and Golden is apparently very good also. You might have a look for M. Graham's too, although their colour selection is very small.

Hope we can help you with future queries :)

Einion

Patrick1
07-31-2001, 07:25 PM
Yes, Liquitex Basics are student grade. I have three colors of them: mars black, titanium white, and cad. orange hue. The orange seems very under-pigmnted, as well as not being very opaque. But they do have a nicer, more buttery feel than some other student grade acrylics I've tried. Many of the other cheap acrylics I've tried are terribly sticky/glue-like...a pain to work with. The Basics are better in this respect.

Firefly
08-01-2001, 02:06 PM
Yeah I've noticed my paintings are not coming out very good on the details. I will have to try your suggestions. Thank you!:clap: