PDA

View Full Version : Daffodils

T-Rex
07-31-2001, 10:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2001/daffodil_closeup.jpg

Did this in watercolor on masa paper then sealed it w/ matte acrylic medium, image is a close-up (scans don't seem to show how these appear to "float")

All comments welcomed and appreciated:) ...Karen

Javier
07-31-2001, 11:19 AM
Karen, very nice. But how do you turn out such quality work in such a short time -- this is a rhetorical question.

Like the colors.
Question, most 'daffodils' have five pedal and a horn -- did you paint this from a photo or a live plant?

The Best,

Leaflin
07-31-2001, 12:27 PM
OK that does it!
Next time I'm in town I am going to get some Masa paper.
You have won me over.
The colours sing.
Beautiful piece Karen.

NeerlysGal
07-31-2001, 12:41 PM
Karen,
This is AWESOME!:clap:
I am very very new to watercolor. I have not painted till I started taking lessons about 2 months ago. I have been very impressed by your work. If I could just have a 10th of your skill. I have the passion! I hope that will direct me. I wish I could quit my job and just paint all day:)

I log on each day hoping to see some of your awesome work:D

PJL
07-31-2001, 01:56 PM
I'm with leaflin..... gotta try this masa paper stuff..
this is wonderful.. such vibrant colours.

please keep inspiring me.

chickadee
07-31-2001, 05:03 PM
Hey Karen, your daffodils are inspiring! :)

I have a ques :
How did you save the whites of the crumpled & soaked masa paper when you were flowing the paints over it?

Did you use inks here or the watercolors?

Thanks.

Studio224
07-31-2001, 06:36 PM
Jeez..... I can't wait to get my hands on Masa paper... It's unbelievable!

Karen, I love that!

Anne-Claire

Katee
07-31-2001, 08:37 PM
A Lovely painting of one of my favourite flowers.

What is MASA paper, I haven't heard of it here in the UK

Karen :)

Rich Williams
07-31-2001, 09:22 PM
I am going out to buy some masa paper tomorrow if this is the kind of results one can expect. The colors are very powerfull.
Keep up the good work.

Jinho Ahn
08-01-2001, 06:14 AM
:clap:

Wonderful! Fantastic color variation!

Rosebud
08-01-2001, 08:16 AM
Beautiful !
Tell us more details about your masa paper process.

Rosebud

T-Rex
08-01-2001, 09:34 AM
Thank you Javier, Leaflin, Neerlysgal, Pete, Chickadee, Anne-Claire, Katee, Rich, Jinho Ahn, and Rose:) I'm so happy that you like this one.

My inspiration comes from you as well, I thank all of you for the encouragement, it means a lot, especially considering YOUR talent

To answer some questions:)

Javier - LOL, there was a 5th petal:D some kid came along and snatched it off when I was drawing:p ( not really, I blew it and it got lost into the background - hee,hee), used Clarke's "Daffodils" and photos as references for the flowers themselves

Katee - Masa paper is a Japanese paper that after wetting and wrinkling will look like a batik, a lot of fun:) You wrinkle it to crack the sizing for color absorption(sp?)

Chickadee - there are 2 places, where I had a bad bleed on this one that I had to use Chinese white on, but if I hadn't cracked the sizing and gotten those areas wet I wouldn't have had to do so, it acts like watercolor paper, just don't get those areas wet, this is a watercolor

Rose - there are several techniques, this is the process I've decided to use:

Have a rough idea what you might do, flexibility is handy

Spray each side of paper w/ water and let sit for a minute or 2, remember which is the tooth side, that is the side to paint on, wrinkle it as desired, its FRAGILE here, like a Kleenex, (I hold it up to a light to see the cracks)

Stain it w/ watercolor over your chosen areas, watercolor pigment will migrate, let it dry (you can't use masking fluid)

Mount it onto watercolor paper using 1 to 1 mix of elmer's, wallpaper paste(wheat kind) or acrylic medium (that's what I like the best) I wait to mount it sometimes until later in the process

when dry you can very lightly sketch an idea, remember you can't erase

Paint how you wish, I've decided on a glazing process of transparent color (flexibility time!)

you can leave it as is but I think I like the look of a varnish, gloss or matte acrylic.....

I'm still discovering here:D More to come! Have a good one...Karen

mclaughlin
08-01-2001, 04:38 PM
Outstanding as usual. :clap:

taghera
08-01-2001, 06:02 PM
Lovely work Karen, well done. :clap:

Masterartworks
08-01-2001, 06:05 PM
I'm sure we are missing out on the textural component of this lovely watercolor, that scanners often do not pick up. How big is it?

MAW

Rosebud
08-01-2001, 08:55 PM
Thanks, Karen,
For details on your process.
I'm gonna try some masa !

Keep it up..we love it !

Rose

KathyJB
12-03-2004, 05:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2001/daffodil_closeup.jpg

Did this in watercolor on masa paper then sealed it w/ matte acrylic medium, image is a close-up (scans don't seem to show how these appear to "float")

All comments welcomed and appreciated:) ...Karen

How did i miss this!!! wonderful work ,,,,may I use to show an example currently in WC?

Kat