PDA

View Full Version : 8-hour beads! I just had to laugh!

Lori-O
12-24-2003, 10:34 PM
OK, I know this photo/scan is horrible. I've been researching all the cool photo techniques on here, BUT...

Here are the beads from my first class and my first 8 hours using a minor at the studio. (I should have known that first bead in my tiny head was a fluke! But, thanks for the lesson, Teri!) I made a necklace like Corina's and I actually wear it! Haha!

After drooling over S&T for a couple of months now, I just had to laugh at these even as I was making them! haha!:D My goal was simply to get used to the body of the molten glass and make round beads. (I should have been trying for donuts, but oh well.)

I actually used Moretti AND BE (seperately, of course). I could really tell the difference at the torch.. they both have great qualities, I thought.

BTW, those "Val Frits" really rock!

Well, anyway, here goes...

RobbinA
12-24-2003, 10:39 PM
And I don't see anything in there to laugh about! Those are your first beads then you are well on your way! Those are great!! You should see mine!! UGH!! Nothing like those!

Robbin

Jamn!
12-25-2003, 01:56 AM
I like them too!! You should see my first beads and the beads I make now!!!!!

Heidi

NLC
12-25-2003, 01:59 AM
OMG, those are works of art in comparison to my first ones... Congrats!
Nikki

Felicia
12-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Those are some very nice first beads. :clap:

Originally posted by Lori-O
I actually used Moretti AND BE (seperately, of course). I could really tell the difference at the torch.. they both have great qualities, I thought.

So which do you like best - BE or Moretti? :evil: :D

Felicia

mperaza
12-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Lori,

Very nice beads. You said it is your first beads on a "minor"

Have you been torching with a HH prior to this? I'm curious because I just got a minor for X-Mas. I heard there is a re-learning process you have to go through when you first switch over. If they are your first beads ever (minor of otherwise) congrats!!! They are great.

Marilyn

PS Merry Christmas everyone!

Lori-O
12-25-2003, 07:39 PM
:D

Marilyn! ....

You lucky duck! I would love to have a Bobcat or a Lynx, I can't decide. :rolleyes: I think I'll have to try a Lynx to see if I can get the control I'm hoping for. I made my first bead on a Bobcat, so at least I'm getting exposure to different torches.

But, to answer your question, I learned for 4 hours on a HH, then, because I don't have anyplace to practice, I rented 8 hours of studio time and they have minors in the studio.

I am going to work in the garage in the Spring, and we will be moving by Summer (I hope!). That is when I hope to really get down to business on lampworking.

Felicia....

IMHO, I really do like both (BE and Moretti). I think it would depend on what I was trying to make.

Teri.p
12-26-2003, 08:24 AM
What a great job, Lori! I love your beads, and am soooooooo impressed. Wish I could take credit for teaching you, but it's the other hoosier Teri.....

Teri P

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
12-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Hi Lori.

I think your beads look pretty darn good!

Getting really round beads is harder than you think it might be! My very first beads look better than my second beads too. Beginners luck? I think we have that first really big (to us) success then think, hey, I can do anything. :)

I've been at it for a little over a year now and I still find myself telling myself to concentrate on what I'm doing all the time.

Does it ever become second nature?

Keep at it...you're off to a great start!

Artaholic
12-28-2003, 12:57 AM
Great first beads , at least you can wear them ,not every first timer can say that:D :)

Gerry

blyneth
12-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Wow! Those look like GREAT beads! I wish I could see some of them closer!

b

TheBlueBetween
12-28-2003, 02:55 AM
those are really great beads for your first 8 hours! And wow - what a LOT of beads for that amount of time! I swear it took me 45 minutes to make my first bead - and it was just a plain red bead - no decoration (but it was perfectly shaped LOL).

Keep up the great work :)

Pam

Lori-O
12-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks so much for the encouragement.

I think I'll use this thread to test out photo techniques in the future - still trying to figure out how I want to set that up and how to edit photos now that I have some beads!

Some folks on here do such a tremendous job at macro digital photography of shiny objects. I didn't realize it was so complex!