PDA

View Full Version : Would you..?

Abu Haidar
07-31-2001, 02:44 AM
:clap: There is a rebate session for Windsor Newton Oil Colour product in one of bookstore here. And I am interesting to take one box (6 tubes). But I find another thing to be solved. The liquid to be mixed in the color are confusing me. There are Liquin, Thinner and etc. I have no adequate knowledge in oil color painting since I am working with pastel :angel:

Help me. Don't let the rebate session pass over me..
Tell me what should I buy and how to use them....

Mario
07-31-2001, 03:27 AM
I am an art sutdent. My teacher uses a coin sized puddle of Liquin on his pallette to, occassionaly, dip the tip of his brush in before he loads it with paint so that the brush doesen't drag and dellivers the paint flowingly.
I feel that Liquin is expensive and so I use a mixture of 50/50 turpenoid and stand oil, in the same manner. I got that recipe from another art teacher. It is much less expensive and works well. She, however recommends just cold-pressed linseed oil for beginners.
I suggest that you begin with Liquin, for now, as there is no mixing required. good luck

Abu Haidar
07-31-2001, 05:53 AM
So... when I use Liquin I don't need any thinner or other liquids ?
Or..let me make it simple...
When I want to paint with Oil Color...what should I do after I drew the object on the canvas ?:rolleyes:

Mario
07-31-2001, 08:27 AM
My teacher does not use thinner at all. He is painting portraits and he uses a different brush for warm and cool colors. He washes his brushes with soap and water.
Some artists use thinner to clean a brush before adding a different color and after painting they use thinner to thin the paint on their brushes before washing them with soap and water.
Some artists use a little thinner to make a colored wash to begin the painting only. I advise you to not use thinner at all except for cleaning brushes.
An excellent book for oil painting is; "The oil painters ultimate flower and portrait companion" by Patricia Morgan...$25 US. This will teach the approach to painting that does not draw the object first. Outlining the object first and then filling in color is NOT the best way to oil paint.
The very best thing that you can do is to join a beginning oil class. That will solve all of your problems. Otherwise, you will have to learn by trial and error how to mix colors with a little of white paint in order to make them opaque and not transparent, so that they cover the canvas. Buy much more white paint than colored pigments, you will need it. good luck

Titanium
07-31-2001, 08:54 AM
Mario ,

much ,much , thanks .

You just gave me the last part of the equation.
!!!!!May you have a wonderful day !!!!!!
Titanium

Abu Haidar
08-01-2001, 12:45 AM
Mario oh mario...

Thank a bunch. U give me a basic sharp shoot..
Unfortunately it's still hard to find art (painting) class/course here..so I will do the trial and error.

Thanks pal.
;)