PDA

View Full Version : injecting acrylics from jars into tubes

Patrick1
07-30-2001, 10:24 PM
I mainly use tube acrylics. Acrylics in large jars have the advantage of being cheaper (by volume), but I still prefer tubes because they're much less likely to get contaminated with other colors.

Question: Is it possible to suck up acrylic paint from a jar, using a jumbo syringe, and inject it into a tube (preferably of the same color)? I would think that acrylics would be too thick for the syringe to work, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know for sure.

I could buy empty, fillable aluminum tubes (Dick Blick sells these but they aren't cheap) and use a clean palette knife to tranfer paints from jar to tube. Anyone know of anywhere where I could buy these empty tubes more cheaply?

Any other ways to get paint from jar into a paint tube?

diphascon
07-31-2001, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Domer
Question: Is it possible to suck up acrylic paint from a jar, using a jumbo syringe, and inject it into a tube (preferably of the same color)? I would think that acrylics would be too thick for the syringe to work, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know for sure.

I think it might work if you use the syringe without needle. An art supplier recommends to make a funnel out of an old playing card.

That very supplier sells a 60 ml tube for an equivalent of a bit less than 1 USD and a 120 ml tube for a bit more. Alas, he is in Germany ..

Any other ways to get paint from jar into a paint tube?
A palette knife / cardboard funnel combo sounds promising

cheers

martin

cuttlefish
07-31-2001, 12:08 PM
For empty tubes, you might try a professional cosmetic or pharmacy supply catalog. Unfortunately, I'm not familliar with any, so this is just speculation. I have seen empty plastic tubes at camping equipment stores; these are large and apparently intended for food storage. I doubt they seal well enough to store paint over the long term.

cuttlefish
07-31-2001, 12:20 PM
To load an empty tube that is open at the rear, you can fill a jumbo serynge and insert it fully into the tube. Start extruding as close as practical to the inside of the cap and draw the serynge out as the tube fills below it.

Alternately, you can spoon or knife the paint into the open end. To help the paint slide to the front of the tube, vibrate the tube by holding it against a personal massager while you fill it. This also helps expel air bubbles that may get trapped as you load the paint. This also works for making small plaster or resin castings, but that's something for the sculpture forum.

idahogirl
07-31-2001, 01:07 PM
You could also spoon from the jar into small containers such as empty film containers, baby food jars or small plastic containers purchased from an art store...... something I have been meaning to try but haven't done yet...

Dee

Einion
07-31-2001, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by deefox
You could also spoon from the jar into small containers such as empty film containers, baby food jars or small plastic containers purchased from an art store...

My Yellow Ochre has resided in a film cannister for a decade ever since the tube gave up the ghost and it's still quite workable so this does work well. My Viridian/Phthalo Green and Mars Black are also living happily in them.

Einion