PDA

View Full Version : View from the Porch

fink
07-30-2001, 09:33 PM
Hope you enjoy my view of home. There are some changes that need to be made but haven't gotten them done yet. The sky is wonderful but the scans just simply didn't work out. I really need a camera!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2001/Porchview.JPG

LarrySeiler
07-30-2001, 10:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2001/Porchview2.jpg

pleasant watercolor! Once again! Nice job...

Larry

Javier
07-31-2001, 05:29 AM
Wow, "View From The Porch", now that is what I call a landscape!

What great style.
Color.
Composition.
Please, size and paper?

I went back and reviewed some of your other posting to try and figure out what I liked best about your work. It is the colors that you use and the way you use them. Also, for me your best work is the landscape type stuff. For example, there was one painting which had a killer flower and a house in the painting -- I wanted to get rid of the flower -- not the house.

Thanks for the posting -- I have enjoyed it very much. Glad you have gone from still life to landscape. :D

The Absolute Best,

blondheim12
07-31-2001, 07:15 AM
A lovely painting. Very serene. Wonderful color. I too would like to know what size?
Linda

fink
07-31-2001, 08:46 AM
This is only a portion of the finished watercolor. The rest is the sky which is really the best part but just couldn't get the scanns to work together. I hope to get photoes taken this weekend so that I don't have to patch scans together. The finished painting is a full sheet of watercolor paper (22X30") minus a bit trimmed off around the edge.

I think that I need to add something in the foreground though. The three trees seem to be evenly spaced and need a bit of change there. I was not really satisfied with the predominent green (even though the landscape right now is green). A gentleman that I had shown this to, didn't mind the green but I guess I am not a green fan.

Thanks for all the good comments.

Leaflin
07-31-2001, 09:06 PM
What a View!
Fantastic sky.
I can't wait to see the whole painting.

Rich Williams
07-31-2001, 09:19 PM
Great sky. YOu realy caught the mood of a lazy day. Keep up the good work.

fink
07-31-2001, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. Painting is the main release that I have from the daily grit and grind that one goes through.

I find that participating in this forum tends to encourage me more than anything else - BUT I HAVE TROUBLE GETTING INTO PAINTING SINCE I JUST WANT TO SIT AND READ AND READ. :D

Roni Anderson
08-03-2001, 04:26 PM
Lovely job - free, fresh and inspiring. Keep up the good work! Bet it is beautiful on a full sheet:cool:

animal
08-07-2001, 01:35 PM
Awesome! I especially like the textures of the trees and the colours you have used.:clap:

Javier
08-09-2001, 10:38 AM
Fink, I posted to this thread earlier but if you don't mind I have a question.

First I really like the greens that you use -- would you please post the mixes and/or colors if right out of the tubes.

Last is to pass along a bit of what I do about reading -- I constantly listen to books on tape (also have a CD player and an MP3 player). If your interested in using the MP3 player then you can look at the following:

http://www.audible.com/

Tapes and CDs I get from the local library. The great thing for me is that I can paint and read (listen) at the same time. Of course, there are times I have to stop one or the other because they need my full attention. BTW, I never read an abridged version of anything.

Hope you post more of your work in the near future.

Thanks in Advance.

Respectfully,

fink
08-09-2001, 10:50 PM
Javier, Greens are the most fun to play with. Mostly, I may (not always though) start out with phthalo green and add most anything to it from aureolin, yellow ochre, to quinacridone gold. Of course many times I just mix up something with antwerp blue and a yellow hue. What makes the nicest dark green is the phthalo green and alizarin crimson. Varying degrees of the mix will add alot. Most of the time though I don't mix on the pallet - instead I let the colors mix on the paper. Make sure that the area is wet enough to accept more color and just dot it in. I use quite alot of antwerp blue it seems but also indigo for the very dark areas. Then I add alizarin crimson also to that.

Last night I took photo's of the paintings that I have done and not recorded by photoes. I will post the whole painting within the next few days and maybe others tooooooo.

Hope this helps with the green question.
Ann

Javier
08-09-2001, 11:20 PM
Ann, thanks for the info on 'doin the greens'. :D

The Absolute Best,

Roni Anderson
08-10-2001, 02:41 PM
Ann: I appreciate your input on the colors used. Usually I stay away from phthalo anything because of the staining capabilities. In the past I have hesitated to even mix it with anything. But your work is fresh and alive and your comments have encouraged me to try again and experiment. Thanks!

Jav: Thanks for the great idea to listen to books and paint. Don't ask me why, but I never thought about it. I usually listen to classical music while I paint; but I shall try and see if I can do two things at once - that is if I can get over this procrastination problem I am having about painting at all right now.

I have some pieces I recently worked on [in the last weeks] and I would like to post them somewhere for some input. [They are water colors.] Are their instructions somewhere about how to do that using the Creative WebCam?

Masterartworks
08-10-2001, 04:09 PM
What a nice panorama, I like the light handedness in your darks in your trees, they are very transparent. Is this Hot Press or Cold Press paper?
MAW

fink
08-10-2001, 08:07 PM
This is cold press paper. Hot pressed just doesn't make it for me. One has to paint differently on hot press than cold.

Thanks for the good Comments.
Ann

Phyllis Rennie
08-10-2001, 09:07 PM
Nice, Ann! I like the sparkle and freshness that you have managed to capture.

Javier
08-10-2001, 10:03 PM
Ann, spent the entire day working with those color combinations to produce various greens. Had a great time. Plan to work on trees for a while -- really am impressed with your trees and shrubs.

Thanks Again.

The Very Best,

fink
08-10-2001, 10:33 PM
Javier, Try letting complimentary colors mix together on the paper. You can get some really nice colors as a result. I think that people try to mix tooooooo much and then the colors don't seem so fresh. I seldom mix colors on the pallet (I think that is spelled wrong - sorry). Usually I spend time taking them off the paper if they are wrong hue. Don't worry about the color so much - go for the value of the color instead. Tomorrow I am going to clean out my room so that I can paint and be rational at the same time. A New First! Ha Ha

Don't worry about the colors staining. An old toothbrush and lots of water will take most of it off but you can't paint much over the scrubed areas - just a touch. Most of the staining colors come off with GENTLE scrubing.

Have you ever used opera? It is a holbein color. A friend of mine says that it won't last on the paper but it is so beautiful!!! I just can't resist using it alllll the time.

Sorry the scan the second time was just a bad as the first time.

Roni Anderson
08-11-2001, 04:47 AM
Wow...you guys got me going....I am inspired and shall pull out the old' phthalo and play, play play. Thanks!

Javier
08-11-2001, 06:54 AM
Thanks Again Ann, for those suggestion on 'laying down the green'. Going to work more with the greens this afternoon

Thanks, Javier

From Roni Anderson:
Jav: Thanks for the great idea to listen to books and paint. Don't ask me why, but I never thought about it. I usually listen to classical music while I paint; but I shall try and see if I can do two things at once
Didn't really mean I could do two things :p well :p at the same time. I spend a majority of my time 'doodling' with the paints. Without something in the background -- I get really up-tight. I think the "Classical Music" is much better if one is trying to do some serious painting.

The Very Best,