PDA

View Full Version : How do you photograph your paintings?

ArtsiePhartsie
12-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Dyin, you got me thinking ....I could use advise on taking pictures (digital) of my art work.... any and all tips will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

~Artsie

bnoonan
12-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi Artsie,

The way I photograph my artwork with my digital camera is to place the piece in the most light I can find. sometimes it's shadowed light - other times it's direct sun. I then shut off the flash and swap the setting to Macro - if you have that.

Typically I have to then adjust the color or contrast slightly to make sure it's accurate - my camera software allows that.

Anyway - hope that helps. could be I'd learn something different from others here.

Barb

scottb
12-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Searching the articles for "photographing" reveal several pages of useful info:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=wetcanvas&restrict=&exclude=&words=photographing

:)

ArtsiePhartsie
12-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Thank you Scott....there is a wealth of information there...so much that I'm going to have to wait until the weekend to read it all! Your posting that link was much appreciated....especially since I'm reallllllly hoping that Santa brings me a new digital camera ...I've been really good this year!

Happy Holidays

~Artsie

Dyin
12-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Wow, Scott...thanks! I search for threads sometimes but forget to search for subjects...bookmarked this....as I'm so tired of having to adjust every pic I take!

Vegas Art Guy
12-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Make sure you get a tripod. It will make it much easier to photograph your art correctly and avoid keystoning. I got a good one at Wal-Mart for $30 USD. They come with universal attachments to handle both 35mm and digital cameras.

jade fox
12-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Major things when photographing art. Perspective- make sure the piece is flat and level with the camera and not angled in any way. Light- if you can use at least one light on each side of the art work to give it good illumination but be careful to watch for glare or reflections. Also a polarizer can sometimes help but I would always brackett your shots if you use one. Hope this helps.:cool: