PDA

View Full Version : My dog Jack Need help with his long silky hair

Luvy
07-30-2001, 08:14 PM
Nope I never give up. I keep trucking on. But anyway (setting the nude aside) this guy has lots of long silky hair. And I just can't get it. I'm going to upload the photo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2001/Jack.jpg

Gollator
07-30-2001, 08:51 PM
Much more contrast!

Hair is one of the reasons I like to draw people with hat or bald head most ;)

There are many reflections in hair, but on some places there are more.

I made a quick sketch on his head, not very accurate, but maybe it helps? I always found drawing hair from sketches easier then from photos.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2001/jack2.jpg

Luvy
07-30-2001, 09:10 PM
Gollator I've done a couple of dog paintings. But they had short hair and that was easier. He has such long and shiny hair. Getting the long stokes is what I think I'm having problems with. I saved your picture and will study it and see if that helps. Thank you. *S*

jheinrich
07-30-2001, 09:29 PM
try thinking in terms of three colors for the dog: a bright white gold, a natural yellow gold, and a dark brown gold ...

disregard the individual hairs for now, and do a simple underpainting to create the shape of the animal - try not to mix your colors over an entire area at once, but rather let each of what you lay down stay where you originally put it, and create the form of the dog, too.

then layer the same three colors in long brush strokes to define the fur, while letting plenty of the underpainting show through still ...

contrast is the key ...

good luck

jeanette*

Gollator
07-30-2001, 09:32 PM
Yes, his hair is especially tricky. Good luck, lookin' forward for more. :)

robinsn
07-30-2001, 11:46 PM
I've had trouble with hair too, but feel I've improved a lot recently by not thinking of it as hair, but looking at the values and colors that you see and painting them. Try squinting and paint the values you see. I paint the basic shapes with the middle tone and add the highlights and darks on top.

You've got a great start!

tess2000
07-31-2001, 04:23 AM
Hi!

I have one of these dogs! What is the breed? I was told it was a yorkshire terrier? I was going to paint her portrait too but she never stays "silky" long enough for me to get a good picture of her. I love painting hair! Its really fun for me. Is this going to be an oil painting?

Can't wait to see the finished product, the photo has some really great highlights. Will you paint in strands or in mass?

Tess

wendee
07-31-2001, 08:23 AM
Hi Luvy...what a great picture of the dog and such a cute pose..well Iam sorry i cant help you as i cant do it myself in oils...but maybe you can also post this in the animals forum also..
like your painting so far......:D :D

Luvy
07-31-2001, 08:30 AM
Hmm got some ideas on ways to go with this hair. Can't wait to try them now. Thanks Jheinrich and Robinson. Tess this is a Silky Terrier. Looks alot like a Yorkie but the hair is usually longer and they their hair turns gray and he has a part all the way down his back. My dog loves rolling around on his back and that gets him tangled a lot. He was fresh from a bath and was just about dry when I took this picture. His hair is real silky and shiny.

I'm also going to have trouble with that plaid too. Not sure how that's going to turn out at all. I think I'll get the hair. But the plaid ICKKKKKKK

This is an 12 x 16 oil

tess2000
07-31-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Luvy
Tess this is a Silky Terrier. Looks alot like a Yorkie but the hair is usually longer and they their hair turns gray and he has a part all the way down his back.
This is an 12 x 16 oil

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2001/dd.jpg
Here is my ragdoll. Can you believe I just gave her a bath three days ago? Is she a silky? Her hair drags the floor and it also parts down the back and is gray mostly and some black.

When I paint hair(realism mostly) I use a badger bristle fan brush. I lay down all the dark areas in small (narrow) stokes turning the brush verticle, following the natural outline of the body leaving the white canvas exposed so I can use that area for the next color. I paint the strands from top to bottom with more pressure at the top and smaller at the bottom of the stroke to a point. When I lay in the dark (wet), I then take a wider 2" flat dry brush and blend in all over with very light pressure. Just enough to soften the edges of the stroke. Then I lay in the next color a bit lighter the same way until I come to the very lightest color. Then I switch to a stiff filbert for the bright areas and just "swish" it in with short blunt strokes. I keep the paint a bit thicker at first about the (consistency of paste)and then thinner (a cold cream consisitency) as I build up the layers.

Theres a progress example of my method on this page:
http://users.ticnet.com/tess2000/private/femaleportrait.html and you can see if this is how you want it to look. some artist prefer the "mass" of lights and darks but I just prefer the strand method.

http://users.ticnet.com/tess2000/private/spookdemo.html
This page shows a combination of both methods but more blending since cat fur is much softer.

I don't have any technical training in this but it works for me and is really easy to do. Maybe an animal painter could give you a better method but hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Tess