PDA

View Full Version : Eighteen Foot Falls...5" x 7"

LarrySeiler
07-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Well...after this weekend, I'll probably drop off the small ones for awhile. What doesn't sell at this show I'll be bringing over to the gallery I've been having some success at. Here's one called, "Eighteen Foot Falls"...which is not too far away from my home here in northeast Wisconsin. The sun breaking thru heavy mixed forests.

Believe it or not...I'm doing one now of rich green pastures at low sun with closeups of cows!!!! Hey...its a dairy state. You gotta love it! -Larry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2001/eighteen_footfalls2.jpg

Masterartworks
07-30-2001, 06:40 PM
A lot going on in this little painting. You've certainly caught the activity in the water, in your handling of the white water.

One thing that bothers, it could just be the scan, but the blue and black shadow of under the trees on the right show up very dark. Makes it jump forward, compared to the trees themselves. Maybe a little blue cerulean with some warm spots of reflected light might help.

Lei

YLCIA
07-30-2001, 07:06 PM
Wow, Larry it is gorgeous! I love your waterfalls: all which I could find on the WC it is.
I do not beleive you are going to paint the cows
:D

Julia

Leaflin
07-30-2001, 08:26 PM
Geez Larry I'm getting wet :D
Love the water!

Cows....Look forward to to them.

Phyllis Rennie
07-30-2001, 08:40 PM
Hi Larry, My favorite part is the backlit trees---very natural !

Javier
07-30-2001, 08:41 PM
Larry, sometimes when I look at your painting, "Eighteen Foot Falls", the water is coming towards me and other times it looks as though it is moving away from me. Which is it?

LarrySeiler
07-30-2001, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Masterartworks
One thing that bothers, it could just be the scan, but the blue and black shadow of under the trees on the right show up very dark. Makes it jump forward, compared to the trees themselves. Maybe a little blue cerulean with some warm spots of reflected light might help.
Lei

Lei....thanks much! "chaCHING" (sound of cash register making sales).....that's what the Yellow House Van Gogh envisioned was meant for! That one good eye can value from another!

I don't use black in my paintings, mixing darks with phtalo green and alizarin, or phtalo blue, etc., depending on the temperature I want. Yet..you may be spot on here in that the darkness does not serve the atmospheric perspective to the degree it could. I will take your suggestion, look the work over and likely make that change! Thanks....!!! ...oh, and check in here every so often!! :)

Larry

LarrySeiler
07-30-2001, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by YLCIA
Wow, Larry it is gorgeous! I love your waterfalls: all which I could find on the WC it is.
I do not beleive you are going to paint the cows
:D

Julia

Thanks Julia.....

and..your comment is sorta what my wife's take was on it! Since she's into collecting bears, I asked her if it were not possible someone might collect "cows?" hahahaha....

but...I loved actually what the lowered evening sun's glow looked like on the sides of these humble creatures on some photos. Arranging it into an interesting composition will be the challenge.

Larry

LarrySeiler
07-30-2001, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Javier
Larry, sometimes when I look at your painting, "Eighteen Foot Falls", the water is coming towards me and other times it looks as though it is moving away from me. Which is it?

well...truth be told, I'm depending on the diagonal of composition falling upper left to lower right to be suggestive of gravity's natural play. Still....like an Escher print, it might be fun to imagine it otherwise! thanks for looking....!

Larry

animal
07-31-2001, 10:57 PM
Larry, Your work amazes me. I really like the way you have done the trees. I alsolike the colours you`ve used.:cool:

LINDAMAC
08-01-2001, 12:38 PM
I have been watching your postings since I first discovered WC. Your work is truely inspring. I printed your lessons on landscape painting plein air and I'm going to try your suggestions on the colors the nest time I get a chance to paint.

LarrySeiler
08-01-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by LINDAMAC
I have been watching your postings since I first discovered WC. Your work is truely inspring. I printed your lessons on landscape painting plein air and I'm going to try your suggestions on the colors the nest time I get a chance to paint.

thanks Linda....appreciate your comments.

Its a bit unsettling in a way, since I was so set in one way of working for nearly 17 years with my wildlife art methods. I've been breaking out over the past six years, and its required giving myself permission for this whole thing to happen. Its been exciting, intimidating...sometimes frustrating, but no doubt as to its being a good direction for me. Thanks again...

Larry