PDA

View Full Version : sideshow

ejfarrae
07-30-2001, 12:21 PM
hi all, i'm thinking of starting a new series of paintings juxtapozing black and white images over colored backgrounds and vice versa. this is the first. 30x36" acrylic on birch panel. comments/critiques?

teixman
07-30-2001, 12:54 PM
Hi
Creativity expresses it self in various ways, and you have found one of them. Maybe the background is too naive, given the serious expression of the figure. I think you shoud try a more obvious link between background and figure, if you want disturb the glance of the observer.

ejfarrae
07-30-2001, 06:04 PM
teixman,

thanks for the input. part of what i was shooting for with the chaotic background was a comment on how we as people are bombarded on a daily basis to the point of sensory overload. then, with the seriousness and lack of color in the figure i was trying to show that even in this age of immediate gratification and material surplus we are emotionally emptier than ever.

eric

jerryW
07-30-2001, 06:54 PM
this is a very strong and effective illustration style, which I say with reservation.
I adore the figure.
I have no affinity with the background except it is fun color (but that is a carnival trick)
you can use this type of trick to communicate intentionally.
your figure mastery is excellent and I would love to see it in any situation.

dornberg
07-30-2001, 11:18 PM
i see the shadow angles with the background

i wonder if a horizontal section of the background could be
made as strong as the vertical figure, witout giving up color,
just chaging it to be obvious

Gollator
07-31-2001, 06:07 AM
This reminds me of that comic strip of "Hägar", where he finds himself depressive and his friend tells him "don't worry. Just go outside and take a look at all those people who are depressive, too. Cheers you up."
And he goes out and finds everybody laughing and smiling, wearing funny hats and carrying colorful balloons.

On second view, not all of the "happy" things in background are happy. All arrows pointin' downward, and the hearts have sick colors.

I think it's great.

ejfarrae
07-31-2001, 01:05 PM
thanks jerry and gollator. it's always cool to hear other takes on ones art. and dornberg, that is a very interesting thought. i'm going to explore that further. thanks.

~*HC*~
07-31-2001, 05:26 PM
Wow!!!
Something about this really grabs me!
Superb!
Would love to see more of your work - do you have a web site?

ejfarrae
08-01-2001, 09:32 AM
Thanks *HC*. unfortunately at this time i don't have a website but i'm working on it. I do have a post in the acrylics forum called "mounting a painting on paper to a wood support" and also a post in the figure forum called "guess the source". check them out and let me know what you think.

eric

~*HC*~
08-01-2001, 11:15 AM
Thanx eric! Will go there now!

jheinrich
08-01-2001, 12:29 PM
I think this will make for a powerful series.

what I like particularly about this is the placement of the figure, far left, and then his gaze, looking out of the painting and leaving ALL THAT negative space! wonderful. a 'rule' broken to good purpose.

The squares of the background leave something to be desired, perhaps because they aren't anchored to anything, and seem too surreal to represent a solid 'opposite' for the figure. IMUO ...

wouldn't change a thing ... can't wait to see the next one.

j*

ejfarrae
08-01-2001, 09:09 PM
thanks j. i should have the next one done in about two or three years. lol. ahhh the neverending burden of time...

ZOTMA
08-01-2001, 09:29 PM
Like your bold use of colors and line in all the work you've posted here so far (thanks for the clue on the others). Looks to me like this is an interesting series in the works. Your black and white figure is done very well, like the emotion. I'm wrestling with the symbols/squares, not sure if they work for me but they do what you want them too and Gollator brought up some good points about the arrows and hearts. I enjoyed it and it got me wrestling so IMO it did it's job well.