PDA

View Full Version : Shooting digital photos in winter

JoyJoyJoy
12-21-2003, 11:10 AM
OK... we are in the gloomies of a Washington State winter here. No sunlight for weeks now, and counting the days until April. However, I rely on natural sunlight to shoot my digital photos for eBay. My digital camera does not capture the full range of values in interior lighting, even balanced lighting.

So, I am wondering how other artists in Northern climates deal with this... so we can get good images for our eBay listings. Any suggestions?

Nance

Alisa
12-21-2003, 11:19 AM
me too Nance! Sleepy Hollow here. I wait for the lightest grey moment I see outdoors, and between raindrops I run outside and photo ***with tripod. The photos look okay with some adjustment of light and contrast in Adobe.

Scanning them is best imho, takes more time but the results are much better.

Alisa~

JoyJoyJoy
12-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Alisa...

Well, hello neighbor! Guess you know the routine also... OOOO, is that sunlight? Frantically grab painting and camera, run outside into the snow ... sometimes in pajamas. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Any wonder why we artists get a reputation for being eccentric? (Sometimes think I am the winter entertainment for the folks next door.)

No scanner here... and mostly working oil on canvas, often to 16x20 for eBay. Adobe PhotoDeluxe is a necessity here, but, even with my 13 yrs experience as image manipulator (retired), cannot work with some images... garbage in, garbage out.

Just dreaming of spring here... Nance

Paintonbrush
12-21-2003, 12:58 PM
<--------just move d from pacific nw to Utah
Tho it is sunny here most the time, I still photo with indoor light.
I clamp auto lights, the shiney round silver ones you can buy for $6 at walmart, to a tripod (two on each side) then a white umbrella to avoid glare, point the light at the ceiling above the painting and shoot! camera has to be set for indoor lighting.

dd50
12-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi guys,

I'm also a photographer up here in upstate, NY ...

Luckily for me, the days can be cold and lots of snow, but sunny.
Not all ... but some anyway.

I just got some BEAUTIFUL shots the other day when we had a storm ..... got to get them on puter and into Photoshop!

I've only sold one photo on ebay, 2 years ago .... but am recently thinking of selling more .... I live in the country and it's really pretty here in the winter ... I get so many great shots, it's a shame not to make money on them.

A couple of questions: do you find that you sell photos well on ebay?

Why don't I see any photos in your ebay listings? I'd like to see what you do ...

What resolution do you print at ... and do you print your own, or do you have outside source?

I've attached one of the photos .. but it's right from the camera, hasn't been cropped, or manipulated in any way... needs sharpening, etc. ... but just wanted to share. :)

Hugs,
Dee

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2003/15300-snow4.jpg

ElizaLeahy
12-21-2003, 05:54 PM
You could all move to Australia where we have sun all year around

:D

meriadoc
12-21-2003, 06:11 PM
I sold a photo on ebay a couple weeks ago - don't know how the customer liked it as i never heard back from them.

I'm in maine at the moment, hoping to move to denver in the summer- I desperately need sunshine :)

eliza : don't tell me that!! I wanna move back there :)

tmcclary
12-22-2003, 03:55 AM
I am a little farther south...Down near Coos Bay, OR. No sun here either (except today:) it was beautiful!). When the rain stops the coastal fog rolls in. I am trying to find a good indoor lighting setup that works for me. I have some luck using a white-grey-black card and the custom white balance setting (set on the white). I take a shot of the photo with the card in the frame then use that to adjust my curves in another photo of the painting without the card. I do this for my acrylics, and it works acceptably well. I have been trying out colored pencil the last couple months and I have not been able to get a good photo of those pieces at all.

I sold quite a few photos on ebay last spring. One even went for $55(a dahlia...on my old needlework ID). I didn't list any for several months. Then I listed some a couple of weeks ago (on my art ID) with no luck at all. I did find out that more people viewed them from the self-rep category than photography (listed in both). Most of my hits came from people searching for my name, so it didn't really matter where they were.

I print at 220 DPI on an epson 925 with premium glossy photo paper (epson also). I also spray with the krylon preservative for digital prints. I have received many compliments on their quality. I have had them printed professionally before, but I didn't like them. I am too much of a control freak. I am planning on upgrading to a printer that can handle bigger images next year.

dd50
12-22-2003, 06:17 AM
I was hoping to get some comments on the photo I attached. :(

Sorry .. don't mind me .. I'm in a very blue mood ... serious maritial problems .. and health problems .. feeling very weepy.

Anyway .... was more wanting to know how you guys 'take' your photos .. what camera do you use, digital or film? Do you scan your photos into PS or use the digital card?

Do you manipulate in PS ... sharpen, etc?

I'm not seeing any links to any photography that you sell on ebay, or are you not selling there now?

Here's a link to my 'virtual' Christmas card to my online friends, I took both photos of my kitties .. with my FujiFilm digital camera.

Of course, cropped, sharpened and brightened in PS. :)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ddonath988/

Hugs,
Dee

Alisa
12-22-2003, 09:50 AM
haha Nance!!!!!!!!!!! I know my neighbors think I'm nuts too. I'm just barely outside Tacoma, in Spanaway.

Dee, your photos are beautiful!!

Alisa~

Paintonbrush
12-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Dee

I think your photo is beautiful....I did not think it was real!

I thought that you wanted tips on how to photo your work with a digital camera.

meriadoc
12-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Uhh, what equipment?

For macros, and prints i won't be going any higher than 8x10 (normally smaller as I don't like the quality) I use a Nikon Coolpix 2500.

For lanscapes and other nature - I use my canon EOS 300 with either a 24-70mm lens, or a 75-300 lens.

other artsy shots - a holga 120S (medium format).

film i normally shoot with ranges from fuji velvia to konica 750 IR film.

I print up to 13x19 on an epson stylus photo 1280.

a couple of my latest with film can be seen here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154637

Post processing (digital editing etc) I use photoshop.

arteitaliana
12-22-2003, 03:30 PM
I never take pictures of my work in sunlight because I fiind it washes out the colors. I take pictures in the morning or afternoon shade, but the best is a clear grey day, no sun, and no flash either.

ElizaLeahy
12-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by dd50
I was hoping to get some comments on the photo I attached.

Dee, maybe you won't believe this - but I thought it was a painting. You have to remember that I've not seen a snowy landscape!

I don't know if that will make you feel better or worse! I admit I didn't look at it closely - I thought it was a Christmasy sceen to get into the holiday spirit, not a photo you took or a painting you did!

I'm not following this thread closely because it doesn't relate to me.

Sorry Dee

{{{hugs}}}

dd50
12-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Vega, Well .. that was a really good price for a photo! Thanks for sharing what printer you use and paper. :-)

Thanks Alica! :D

Painton, Yeah ... I think that's what my post sounded like, but I was actually asking about taking digital photos of the snow. You didn't think it was a real tree? LOL!!

Meriadoc, Is the Nikon Coolpix a 3 pixel camera? Mine only goes to 1.4 and I can't blow it up TOO large without jaggies.

Also ... are the other two cameras you mention, film cameras? Do you find you like the results of the digital better than film, or visa versa ... or do you like both for different reasons?

I'm debating if I should save for a better digital or a manual camera.

Rita, Yeah .. that's what I do too when I'm taking pictures of my art ... but I was actually referring to taking photos of the outside ... trees, snow, etc. I thought that's what the original post was about .... but maybe I'm wrong. :D

Eliza, a painting huh? LOL ... well, I COULD paint it I suppose, or I could put a 'painting' effect on it. :D

Is ok .. thanks for commenting. We had a snowstorm a few days ago .. it was really beautiful to look at, but horrible to drive in!

I took my camera and walked around my yard ... and got several good shots.

Hugs to all,
Dee

meriadoc
12-22-2003, 07:07 PM
dee

I LOVE film cameras.

my nikon is a 2megapixel camera and really only allows me to go up to 8x10 with some loss of quality. Any larger and it wouldn't look good at all.

As for film or digital? Even though I have a digital, I hardly use it - always preferring to go to film, as the film can render lanscapes alot better than digital can :)

When I used to process my own film, I was probably paying around $2 per roll in processing, which isn't that bad - and I could enlarge whatever ones I wanted and not have to worry about the rest - you can become quite talented in seeing 'negatively'.

but when I worked with slide film, I loved being able to get the fine grained films and blowing up the 3 foot panoramas ;)

tmcclary
12-22-2003, 07:36 PM
My camera is a Canon G3. 4 megapixel. When I am taking serious photos (not family stuff) I shoot in raw format. I can push my photos to 11x14 (professionally printed, 8x10 is my printer's max) without loss of quality. When I shoot in the largest jpeg quality I can only get a 8x10.

I am going to start listing photos on ebay again next week. Usually my 8x10's go for around $15 (when they sell). I did fp that one that went for $55. The same person bought two other photos straight off my website at the same time, and have since come back for more.

meriadoc
12-22-2003, 08:26 PM
I charge more for my photos originating from film, as generally they're more flexible, i can pull more detail out of a 3200dpi image than i can out of a 300dpi jpg ;)

and since 2000+ of my shots are black and white, I spend more time with them, and baby different techniques out of them, like digital plaitinum, cyanotypes, sepias and albumens...

Sumafra
12-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by dd50
I was hoping to get some comments on the photo I attached. :
Sorry .. don't mind me .. I'm in a very blue mood ... serious maritial problems .. and health problems .. feeling very weepy.

Dee

Dee, sorry about your problems and blue mood. This is a strange time of year, sometimes, it seems to bring out the sadness in some people. I hope things get better for you and that you'll have a good holiday season.