PDA

View Full Version : Prints on ebay

Alisa
12-21-2003, 11:10 AM
I have been busily posting auctions of prints. Ebayers tend to want originals, looking for ways to market these.

So far I wrote to my customers on my mailing list describing the print quality etc, and I started including a small print with the purchase of an original so they can see the quality....not something I advertise in my auctions.

I have had people ask if certain originals they see in my ebay banner are sold....they are....and a few want prints.

Any other ideas?

Alisa~

nanabanana
12-21-2003, 12:47 PM
I sell prints of my originals ... and originals too, many times I've had ebayer ask for the original painting instead. The problem is they want to buy that very popular original for only a little bit more money than the print. I make my own prints, and hav good experience with it. Sometimes I do wonder why my personal favorite doesn't sell but others which i think are so so is popular.

I tend to hang on to my favorite pieces :) and will part with it only for a hefty sum, but I tell them so and so piece is in my private collection and not advailable. Since only my best pieces and favorite ones get to be made into print obviously the original if I still have it is worth much much more. Print making takes time .. 5x more time than it takes me to make a new original, mostly spent editing and proofing it.

Prints are excellent way to keep your presence on ebay and makes art affordable to collectors of all ranges. And they can start saving and look forward to owning an original as future investment :) I only started selling prints as an addition because some times I am just very busy with other things and do not have time to paint or list new originals.

Good luck with your prints!

ale.l
12-22-2003, 02:54 AM
Is making prints a difficult one? How are they actually made?
For the time being I am having a hard time selling originals, so prints are going to wait a little :)

Alisa
12-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Hi Nana,
"The problem is they want to buy that very popular original for only a little bit more money than the print."

yep! Exactly:)

I have sold two prints since I started aggressively printing and posting them- last couple weeks. Original sold for 222, a print was auctioned and sold for $34. The other print sold for ....can't recall...50 maybe, and a print sold for 39.

I would like to see more sales with them, I think it would pay off.

Hello Ale,
I find them very difficult to print! But worth it. I use an epson 1280, prints are scanned and printed out at 1440 dpi on heavyweight matt paper. As an added protectant, I also spray them with "print guard".

here's a link to some more info on printers......
http://www.inkjetart.com/1280/index.html

thanks for the responses! Alisa~

CathyD
12-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Hi Alisa,
What is 'print guard'? Is it an acrylic type spray? I would assume it is archival?
Thanks,
Cathy

Alisa
12-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi Cathy, here's some more info on it........

http://www.inkjetart.com/lyson_spray.html

CathyD
12-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Thanks Alisa, I will check it out!
Cathy