PDA

View Full Version : Dmoz: POP ART - submissions needed

nanabanana
12-21-2003, 05:42 AM
Hi Everyone!
Re: POP Art - submissions needed

please consider submitting your website at dmoz.org for review. I am the new pop art category editor, it's soo cool I've learned more about art today than in a month :) I am only posting this at WC because I have seen many high quality art by you talented artists and feel your site should be included in that category.

I'm popart editor so that's why I'm posting a popart specific thread. However I hope I didn't break any WC rules by posting this here.

*Everyone if hasn't alread should submit thier site to DMOZ, definetly increases site traffic as google supplies several other major search engines. Make sure you put it in the correct category otherwise it'd be a long long wait.

Can you pass this info to your "pop artist friends" ? or suggest a better place to post this info. I wasn't sure where to post so put it here. thanks for responding!

NOTE: submit your site at links below, I only posted this message to announce info. Please note: this post does not mean or imply that all sites will be accepted, each site will be reviewed objectively according to guidelines, submitting your site does not guarentee acceptance

Happy Holidays!

Dmoz Main Site: http://www.Dmoz.org

ART Category: http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Visual_Arts/

POP ART Category: (editor: Nivinne)
http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Visual_Arts/Painting/Painters/Pop_Art/

Pop Art

sandge
12-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Well, I would think that getting your site listed with search facilities does fall within the scope of this forum.

Can you tell us a bit more about what dmoz is? Also, as an editor, what do you look for in a submission?

cheers
s

nanabanana
12-21-2003, 10:50 AM
re: what is dmoz.org ... oops sorry in my excitement I fogot to explain. Google is said to start its crawling of the web from directories such as Yahoo and DMOZ. Thus, it ensures your site will be crawled if possible. (see below) opinion expressed below are my own and not an endorsement by dmoz or goggle
------------------------------------------------------------

Google uses The Open Directory dump for its directory, adding a view by pagerank option.

Dmoz is - The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.

It really is big so .. not a boast :)

What Do I look for in Submission? better answered on what gets rejected. site obviously trying to spam category to up thier page counts, everyone 's site big and small get the same attention of a dmogz editor, who will your site to another category if it's not a fit for this one, all sites belong somewhere, just matter of figuring out the where. is easier for us editors is u submit to the category that is most fit for yoru site.

Userfriendly site design is a bonus but we don' t reject / admit based on that, but at the same time if your site has brokenlinks all over place, typos, deadlinks, and is unfinished then it's not ready for viewing so .. there u go. some editors reject others comeback to revisit later. spam sites, site with only adlinks, affiliate marketing and illegal stuff get rejected.

Unique content is a must! as copy cat sites reduces usefulness of directory, what's the point of having multiple copies of the same site?

surreal
12-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Thank you, Nana!

I wanted to submit my url to dmoz for review and simply forgot to do so!

This is a terrific reminder!
:D

nanabanana
04-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm reviewing sites for dmoz popart category again , so if you haven't already submitted your popart site to dmoz yet please do. Please read first post for tips and guidelines as well as what is Dmoz. in short getting listed in dmoz is the same as getting listed by google .. sort of.

Hopefully this isn't considered spamming .. but it's been almost 6 months since the last post :)

ElizaLeahy
04-26-2004, 11:59 PM
done - keep you eyes open for www.originalminds.org :)

Thanks Nivinne!

arteitaliana
04-27-2004, 04:22 AM
Hey...it brings back memeories...I was an editor a DMOZ a few years back...( my nickname, Rimona) I eventually worked my way up be one of the top Art editors...it was really fun but a lot of work! I used to spend 5-6 hour a day editing sites....it got to be too much and had to resign. The top categories are huge and I could not keep up with it....it did take a way a lot of time away from painting.
Anyway, being listed on DMOZ is really good, your page gets picked up by google and hundreds of other search engines, large and small.

Go for it guys!

primitivehuman
11-24-2005, 10:07 PM
No one is probably looking at this old thread, but....

I submitted my site to DMOZ under symbolism so I know nivinne's not the editor to talk to. However, I just wanted to voice my concerns. To the best of my ability, I followed all of the rules and noted everything down.

It has been almost a month now and I'm still not listed. The FAQs don't mention waiting longer than two weeks so I think that I was passed over or something. I submitted on October 23rd right here:

http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Visual_Arts/Painting/Painters/Symbolism/

with the following details:
Blake, Matthew
Political and economic ideals or situations in society illustrated in symbolic, surreal oil paintings and pencil drawings.

primitivehuman
11-25-2005, 12:38 PM
The DMOZ descriptions are very useful in determing where to categorize your work!

My idea of symbolism doesn't necessarily fit with the traditional definition of the category. I have been spending time reading all of the descriptions that I might fit into and now I realize that symbolism my not be the best one.

***UPDATE***
I'm going to wait awhile and see if I get listed somewhere. If not, maybe I'll resubmit under a new category like "Conceptual Art". It doesn't seem like certain categories would have that much of a wait. For instance, there are only 34 sites listed in symbolism and 22 under conceptual art.

arteitaliana
11-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Dmoz listings are categorized and indexed by humans.
Some of them are very good, competent and hard working, Some...are none of the above.

jocelynsart
11-25-2005, 06:31 PM
I have submitted twice I believe and have never seen my site come up on the list, even after 6 months. I submitted to Visual Art-Painting-Painters-Realism. As far as I knew, my site met all the criteria and had nothing in it that would cause rejection.

primitivehuman
11-29-2005, 05:44 PM
arteitaliana and jocelynsart, both of your sites are very content rich BTW...

I submitted my site about two years ago when it was under a different domain name (the old address still works) and never got listed.

it appears that DMOZ has changed alot of their rules. They no longer tell you to submit once a month and they have stopped giving site submission status in their forums. In fact, it is difficult to even find their forums unless you google it. http://www.resource-zone.com/

I can empathize with both the editors and the site owners.