PDA

View Full Version : Online pastel classes?

annie40150
12-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi everyone!
I am just starting out, and playing around with pastels I bought at wal-mart. I also bought some colored pencils, and some acrylics. Trying to decide which one to pursue. I really feel that I am enjoying pastels the best at this time-I like the way they blend.. (haven't tried the acrylics yet-think I'll wait on those).
Anyway, I reallly like the books, online courses and videos, etc. that are available for colored pencil, by Ann Kullberg, and Bet Borgeson. Is there anything like this available for pastel? I would really like the more structured instruction, and at this point I would only choose CP for that reason.
Also, if I did choose to start with CP, are the techniques in any way similar? What about compositions using both?
Thanks you guys for any advice.
This is the best cyber place ever.

annie40150
12-20-2003, 09:55 PM
The above dog I did mostly in pastels. I tried more colored pencil on this beach scene. But I got really bored with it quickly, so I just quit! At least I have learned that I don't have alot of patience.

I just don't know what to do! I really want to learn. I think I enjoy doing the animals the most. That beach scene just bored me to death, but doing the dogs, I enjoyed working on their expressions.

I respect all you guys talent sooo much!
Please give me some advice!
Anna

tammy
12-21-2003, 01:46 AM
Hi,
I'm just starting with Pastel Pencil and while using them find myself using them with CP techniques learned from Ann Kulberg's book!

Dyin
12-21-2003, 02:11 AM
Wecome to the pastel forum! I'm sure someone can tell you about videos etc. Your puppy is so cute...you should check out the project on here about whites...you can really liven white up with color! I love the perspective of the beach scene! If you popped a little red in with those green palm leaves it would also liven it up...hope you keep with the pastels..you'll love the things they can do!

sdkeene
12-21-2003, 05:26 AM
Hello and welcome. For beginners in the medium, I strongly recommend Jackie Simmonds "Pastels Workbook". It is easy to find in most major bookstores in the US. Also, Powells books in Portland, OR is offering a special on it right now (http://www.powells.com). You can purchase it online if you are so inclined. I used this book when I was first beginning and it was a major help for getting me off to a quick start. Even now, I still sometimes refer back to it for the excellent compositional guidance it offers.

Jackie also has some instructional videos that I have heard a lot of good things about (haven't experienced them personally). Check out her website to learn more about them: http://www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk

Peace,
Shane

annie40150
12-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!

Tammy, the pastel pencil idea sounds very interesting....think I'll try it. By the way---I clicked on your ebay link, but couldn't find a way to view any of your paintings. I sure would love to see some of them.

Dyin, thank you! I've been reading the forums for about a month now, and you are always so helpful. I do appreciate your advice, and will try it.

Shane, the Jackie S. website is very nice. I definintely will purchace that book--can't argue with 10 bucks. Jackie seems like a great resource, and she welcomes e-mails, and even phone calls.

Thanks again,
Anna

annie40150
12-21-2003, 12:10 PM

Tammy, the pastel pencil idea sounds very interesting....think I'll try it. By the way---I clicked on your ebay link, but couldn't find a way to view any of your paintings. I sure would love to see some of them.

Dyin, thank you! I've been reading the forums for about a month now, and you are always so helpful. I do appreciate your advice, and will try it.

Shane, the Jackie S. website is very nice. I definintely will purchace that book--can't argue with 10 bucks. Jackie seems like a great resource, and she welcomes e-mails, and even phone calls.

Thanks again,
Anna

tammy
12-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by annie40150

Thanks again,
Anna

Sorry bout that Anna but I was a stay at home artist for 3 yrs but when hubby's work drained away, I had to go back to work in the real world and its taking some time to get financially stable enough to even be able to afford selling on eBay. ( ya have to have money to make money) lol That's why you didn't see any paintings because I haven't sold any on the Bay in awhile. and don't have any current auctions. I do have a few showing here and there in some of these forums if ya can find them. :) I paint in Acrylic, Oil and Watercolor.