ejmstudios
12-20-2003, 12:00 PM
http://www.smartmoney.com/10things/index.cfm?story=20031111&pgnum=2

Lady Rando
12-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Good article, thanks for the tip. :)

ElizaLeahy
12-21-2003, 09:03 PM
And, as Lady Rando recently found out when sending a parcel to Australia - this is really true.

"There's a cheaper way to send packages abroad it's a secret."
Sending a 3-pound holiday gift to your pen pal in France using USPS's basic Airmail can cost upwards of $18 unless you know the secret to making it cheaper, and USPS may not be telling. That's what one New York City Little League coach learned recently when he was shipping an envelope to a friend in Switzerland. The clerk told him that if he used Global Priority Mail it would be about $7 cheaper; the package would also get to its destination about as quickly four to six days. The service is generally more expensive, but the GPM envelope offers a flat rate for items 4 pounds or less. The next time the coach had a package to send overseas, he couldn't remember the service's name, and when he asked the clerk, she said she couldn't help him. A month later yet another clerk tipped him off to the Global Priority Mail secret but cautioned him not to tell anybody because the rate might be raised if word got out.

A USPS spokesperson called the customer's situation isolated, adding that clerks are required to offer services that match customers' needs. Even so, you're better off checking www.usps.gov ahead of time. Using the site's postage calculator, we found that sending a 4-pound envelope to France via Global Priority Mail would cost only $9, as opposed to $23 using Airmail.

Lady Rando
12-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Yep Eliza, I think we saved about $5 or $6 shipping it Global Priority and it got to you quicker. I stumbled on it at the USPS site. When I had called the postal service they only quoted me the regular rates and never mentioned the global rate.