PDA

View Full Version : Mosaic Blue challenge!

Kalera
12-20-2003, 02:59 AM
I am becoming obsessed with the fact that I can't get Mosaic Blue to do anything besides look exactly like Cobalt, so I plan to spend next week (starting Monday... no torch time for me this weekend :( ) playing with it and trying to get an effect from it. ANY effect! I was wondering if anyone else wants to join me and post their Mosaic Blue results to this thread?

beachbeads
12-20-2003, 03:16 AM
I would if I had any, darn. Sheila

koregon
12-20-2003, 03:19 AM
okay you got me!
I have some cuz I know I ordered half pound my last order.
since I am focal mode...I will get it out and see what I can get it to do...I wont use any other blue that could be thought to be close in color...but I wont promise not to use copper green or some other cool colors with it.

So you on ....will try it out tomorrow or Sunday.

AMR GlassWorks
12-20-2003, 06:56 AM
There's a mosaic blue now???!!!!! I didn't even know! Anyone have a pic of it??

craftylady
12-20-2003, 11:21 AM
I am with Anne anyone got a picture?

saucy
12-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Ditto to what Anne said. Mosiac blue? I want to see this color. Is it BE, Moretti, Lauscha????

koregon
12-20-2003, 12:37 PM
ok you guys...I went out to the garage...not outdoor light like I normally take pictures of glass...as its raining outside...and took pictures of the Mosaic, Cobalt and Ink Moretti's I have.
so you can see the difference in the same lighting anyway.

what I heard when I ordered is...Mosaic does something the others don't..what it is...I dont have a clue...I will give it a shot in focals later today.....it might scatter or do something cool..it might not...while looking at it and realizing I paid what I did a pound...I think I might be stupid LOL...course I always have to try any color at least once.

Mosaic Moretti Blue
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2003/11272-WCMosaid.JPG
Cobalt Moretti Blue
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2003/11272-WCcobalt.JPG
Ink Moretti Blue
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2003/11272-WCink.JPG

craftylady
12-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Kaye thank you for taking the time to do that.

Shawn T.
12-20-2003, 02:22 PM
If it works the same as Mosaic Green, I gotta have some. Let us know before I spend on a new color.

Thanks,
Shawn

AMR GlassWorks
12-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks Kaye!! Can't wait to see the results!! :D

BeadGlam
12-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Oh great....I haven't even figured out the Mosaic green and now there is a blue?!!!!! Heather

AMR GlassWorks
12-20-2003, 02:57 PM
ROFL!! Heather that's exactly what I said to myself this morning!!! :D

glassdude
12-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Oooohhhh, I don't have any but would love to see the results!!!
Jacqui

backroombeads
12-20-2003, 05:22 PM
I'd like to see this too. At least this time I dont feel like I'm the VERY last to hear about something. Thanks pat

koregon
12-20-2003, 06:25 PM
well I made four beads...they are in the kiln...and I dont know what to tell ya...so far...nothing so aweinspiring..
it seems stiffer....its a very pretty blue...a tad different than cobalt in color.

it didn't scatter...on anything I have tried yet.
I made two large focals with the mosaic blue as top decoration on differert glasses to see if it would scatter or have a cool reaction or something...then I made two smaller focals with it as the base bead and covered in silver foil and decorated with rose gold...I will show pix tomorrow.

so far nothing to warrent the money spent or the name they named it.

koregon
12-21-2003, 01:19 PM
here are the beads I made yesterday with Mosaic blue
First two beads the mosaic blue is top decoration on the bead...I used three colors in the core hoping to get a scatter effect or reaction...but its a pretty stable color and I really dont see where the name "Mosaic" came from..its nothing at all like the green.
first bead is a base of silver grey/opal yellow and sage opaque
second bead is a core of ivory

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2003/11272-WCMblue2.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2003/11272-WCMblue4.JPG
Next two beads are a base of Mosaic blue...first one has new violet scrolling designs/then silver foil then rubino "rose gold"...
second is a core of Mosaic and just silver foil and rubino stringer decorations
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2003/11272-WCMblue9.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2003/11272-WCMblue8.JPG

sooooooo out of the four beads I made, Mosaic in the title of the glass I dont understand...its a shade of blue...not quite cobalt/not ink...it did seem stiffer...its a pretty color...but so far nothing outstanding happens...I will keep incorporating it into beads and see if anything cool happens and will keep you updated....PS, by the way...I did heat the bead and really try to get something to happen...I got it pretty hot to see.....nothin.

aimee
12-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Very pretty color though. I especially like the top one.

gypsysoul
12-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Well, Kaye, you may not have had any unusual reactions from it, but you sure made some purty beads!!:D

I think I have a whole pound of that stuff (why, I have no idea--lol), so I think I'll mess around with it today myself. There must be a frit somewhere in my pile that will look nice with it! heehee

Paula

koregon
12-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by gypsysoul
Well, Kaye, you may not have had any unusual reactions from it, but you sure made some purty beads!!:D

I think I have a whole pound of that stuff (why, I have no idea--lol), so I think I'll mess around with it today myself. There must be a frit somewhere in my pile that will look nice with it! heehee

Paula

Thanks,
I really tried to get it to do something different, thinking it would...I made the style of beads that normally if there is going to be a reaction I get it...with other colors the same style of bead works in doing its thing...so from what I can tell so far...it doesn't scatter or web.....it doesn't leave lines around like copper green in second bead...it doesn't do much of anything different and unusual with silver foil...It seems a pretty stable color all in all...it wont change like Mosaic Green will in a focal......I look forward to see others beads and if they got anything odd or different that makes this color special.

I think it was just an odd lot color...I am not sure what color it was suppose to be...but being the cost I am thinking it was gonna be ink blue or something...I just dont know. I would love to know the story from Mike Frantz on this color and why its called Mosaic blue instead of some other name of blue....since it is nothing like Mosaic green.

Beadazoid
12-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Wow! Paula, you have a pound of it!!! I have a rod of mosaic green and I thought it was black, but I haven't even SEEN mosaic blue listed anywhere. I never heard of it. And I'm not sure what the term mosaic in a title means even. (newby) :rolleyes:

I have spent the intire week experimenting with differnet color combinatioins and trying to come up with something, ANYthing, pretty! LOL

Jeannie

koregon
12-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Beadazoid
I haven't even SEEN mosaic blue listed anywhere. I never heard of it. And I'm not sure what the term mosaic in a title means even. (newby) :rolleyes:

Jeannie
well me neither...and I dont consider myself a newbie...I sit here and think "why" is the word mosaic in the title of this color LOL

its not listed with the normal colors...its in odd color lots...I have an old catalog...and I am not sure if its in the catalog, I caught wind of it on the phone when placing my order with Frantz.

I think they do need to rename the color...they are selling it cuz of the word Mosaic..and the word bringing to mind Mosaic Green.

the two have NO properties alike that I have found

gypsysoul
12-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Well, I am having a bead day from h*ll (why is it that on the days I really, really feel like working everything comes out like sh*t!! lol) :mad: :( :crying:

Anyway, my observations before tossing the beads into the water jar are that this color seems closer to cobalt than ink blue, but with a slight "richness" added to it that tends toward purple. Does that makes even the tiniest bit of sense?? lol It's like they were making ink blue but got too much blue in it, so it's not quite cobalt but still has a hint of purple. As far as it doing anything interesting in the flame, I'm with you, Kaye. This seems like one of the most stable colors ever! lol I'd also like to know what the heck "mosaic" is supposed to mean!:confused:

Paula

blackcatbeads
12-22-2003, 12:21 AM
I have 1/2 pound of this and have not been able to make it do anything special. I think... IMHO that this is the "Ink Blue" that wasn't Purple enuff. They had to so something with it. :)

gypsysoul
12-22-2003, 12:38 AM
I think... IMHO that this is the "Ink Blue" that wasn't Purple enuff. They had to so something with it.

I agree, Nicole!

Paula

ginko
12-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Nicole, that was exactly my reaction when I saw the InkBlue-that-isn't and then the Mosaic Blue that looked exactly like it when examined under every type of light I had. I keep hoping someone will come up with a technique special to this glass. So far I have not had any luck.

-debbi

wmo
12-22-2003, 12:38 PM
...on the subject of mosaics, what is so special about mosaic green? I'm obviously missing something.

Kalera
12-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Suzan, check the technical forum for a couple of threads - with pics! - on Mosaic Green. It's cool.

Here's a set I did with Mosaic Blue right after I got it. I love the set, but I made a bead with cobalt and it was the same. Argh! It's going to drive me crazy. I feel like there *has* to be a secret in the glass, and it just needs the right treatment to unlock it. I didn't get to torch today, but I will tomorrow, and I swear I'm using nothing but Mosaic Blue until I get it.

blyneth
12-23-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by koregon

...it wont change like Mosaic Green will in a focal..........
. . . . it is nothing like Mosaic green.

I must've missed something about Mosaic Green. I read the post from Pat Frantz saying it sometimes shows 2 shades of green, and some people posted pics of the green on white but showed no special reaction. Do you have a pic of a Mosaic Green reaction?

blyneth

P.S. Those are gorgeous beads, Kalera! How did you get the blue glass to look all broken up like that?

Gayle Harthcock
12-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Blyneth - there is a posting tonight about mosaic green with a great picture of what it does - check it out.

I didn't even know that there were mosaic anythings until I was putzing around the other day and got the rod of green out. I really like your beads Kay and Kalera - the blue is really pretty. It looks more mosaic in Kalera's beads, but is that just a reflection or did the color break up inside the beads? I'm assuming this is a moretti pastel?

koregon
12-23-2003, 02:25 AM
Kalera...very cool beads...my guess is there is silvered ivory under the windows of blue? it looks a tad on the ink side in your pictures...more than cobalt.

I am wondering if its a messed up batch of ink blue...that isn't ink but isn't cobalt.

Kalera
12-23-2003, 03:56 AM
Kaye, you have it spot on; it's an ivory base bead, silver leaf, dots of Mosaic Blue, thin band of clear casing. The only mosaic effect is provided by the silvered ivory. To me, it doesn't look any more purple than my cobalt, but maybe it is... just a teeny bit that my vision doesn't register.

Kalera
12-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Under a full-spectrum light, doing stringer work, I can finally see clearly the difference between Cobalt and Ink X-tra Blu. It works differently too. Mosaic and Ink X-tra Blu seem identical, but I am not giving up finding the difference. Reduced the Mosaic both slightly and all to heck, still no reduction effect. Pics tomorrow!

blyneth
12-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Gayle Harthcock
Blyneth - there is a posting tonight about mosaic green with a great picture of what it does - check it out.

I know I am beating this to death but hey, this is how I get going in the morning . . . . It's Christmas and I'm trying to get psyched up for a long drive to western PA . .

Gayle: Do you mean the pic that was posted by Shawn T.? The one with Mosaic Green over dark ivory? I was thinking that that is an effect that can be obtained by using many other colors with dark ivory -- i.e., it is caused by the Ivory, not by the Green. But I could be wrong. Anyone want to correct me?

b

P.S. It is a beautiful example, and shows the MG to be a nice green color, no question there. But I think I was looking for something more unique to this hand-mixed color called "mosaic."

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shawn T.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2003/26172-WSmosaic2.jpg

flamewerks
12-26-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by blyneth

I know I am beating this to death but hey, this is how I get going in the morning . . . . It's Christmas and I'm trying to get psyched up for a long drive to western PA . .

Gayle: Do you mean the pic that was posted by Shawn T.? The one with Mosaic Green over dark ivory? I was thinking that that is an effect that can be obtained by using many other colors with dark ivory -- i.e., it is caused by the Ivory, not by the Green. But I could be wrong. Anyone want to correct me?

b

P.S. It is a beautiful example, and shows the MG to be a nice green color, no question there. But I think I was looking for something more unique to this hand-mixed color called "mosaic."

The black reaction is the normal green/ivory thing, but the webbing and edge concentration is the mosaic. Here is a marble utilizing mosaic green with sage green, which does not have a chemical reaction. The key is to use small amounts of mosaic green and do a lot of re-heating/overheating.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2003/10204-alligator_WC.jpg

-Mona

Gayle Harthcock
12-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Yes Blyneth, that's the one. I agree with Mona's comments here. Have a good trip!

blyneth
12-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by flamewerks

The black reaction is the normal green/ivory thing, but the webbing and edge concentration is the mosaic. Here is a marble utilizing mosaic green with sage green, which does not have a chemical reaction. The key is to use small amounts of mosaic green and do a lot of re-heating/overheating.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2003/10204-alligator_WC.jpg

-Mona

Ahhhhhhh.. I think I'm getting it. So . . . . one might be able to get that effect with MG over another pastel as well. I'm ready to try it! [gotta a wait a couple more days tho' . . . til I get home . . . oh the suspense!]

Possibly with M. BLUE over another pastel, too . . . [But I don't have the blue yet].

Thanks Mona and Gayle!

b

New edit:

Oh my gosh! I just noticed that there is a breaking-up effect that can be seen underneath the MG as well as at the edges. I didn't see it before because the MG is so dark. I thot those were solid blocks. Double ahhhhhhhhhh with !!!.

:D

Jamn!
12-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Has anyone tried the mosaic blue with copper and enamel??
Just curious to know what it looks like!

Heidi

Kalera
12-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Here are some beads from my Mosaic Blue Turture Chamber. Clockwise from top:
Mosaic Blue on silver leaf/ivory, rolled in Val's Gold Pink frit, encased.
Mosaic Blue stringer on pastel Uranium Yellow, reduced.
Mosaic Blue AND Ink X-tra Blu(e) dots on ivory, cooked a while, then encased.
Mosaic Blue on white with white enamel, boiled in oxidizing flame.
Mosaic Blue on ivory with white enamel and copper leaf, boiled in oxidizing flame.
Mosaic Blue with Iris Gold reduction stringer, encased.
Mosaic Blue on silver leaf/ivory, both under and on top of rubino.

Please note that although the copper and enamel both seemto have encroached upon the Mosaic Blue, the Mosaic Blue itself has not been responsible for any effects in any of these beads.

This week, I will be trying Mosaic Blue with Opal Yellow, Translucent Yellow, Copper Green, Dark Pink, and clear, among other things. If anyone thinks of some damage I could throw at it, let me know!

So far, I have discovered that using it with silver, reduction frit, copper, a reduction flame, an oxidizing flame, reactive base glass, and encasing have no effect on it. It is remarkably stable, does not seperate or creep, and is all in alla delightfully predictable glass with a color slightly richer than cobalt. In fact, I like it *better* than cobalt, and I may even (don't hurt me) like it better than Ink Blue, because I'm simply not all that crazy about purple.

blyneth
12-31-2003, 11:45 AM
All right, Kalera! You really stuck to it! Thanks so much for sharing your results with us.

b

:clap: :clap: :clap:

P.S. Have you ever at least seen 2 shades of blue appear in it? (like the Mosaic Green will show 2 shades of green)?

koregon
12-31-2003, 11:52 AM

P.S. Have you ever at least seen 2 shades of blue appear in it? (like the Mosaic Green will show 2 shades of green)?

Nope! and I tried really hard...cuz I like those effects.
just like Kalera said...its a very stable color....very!

but pretty and different than coblat and ink.

blyneth
12-31-2003, 12:00 PM
Oh, thanks Kalera! That was quick! You've probably got more info. posted above that I haven't read yet. (I just got back and started at the bottom of the thread!). Cheers for you and everyone else who contributed.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

b

P.S. I LOVE this forum!

:angel: <---- glowing with good will

Kalera
01-01-2004, 04:01 AM
Thanks Blyneth, and Kaye, and everyone else who's participated in this thread... and please, keep on torturing the stuff and see what you can make it do, and tell me about it! It really is a pretty color, and I reordered it because I've kind of gotten addicted to trying to make it do stuff. :)

blyneth
01-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Oh, thanks Kalera! That was quick.

Sheesh! :o I meant thanks Koregon.

koregon
01-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Update on Mosaic Blue...Dan has been using it...in twisties and cores of his encased beads and it really is different than cobalt or ink...at least I think so...its kinda electric and brilliant...here is a set of beads that are just yummy that he made...so it is different...just not in a Mosaic way....but any set he uses it in...I can spot and I ask him and he says yup..used that new blue you have hid :D

gypsysoul
01-07-2004, 10:06 AM
its kinda electric and brilliant

Kaye, that's a perfect description for this color! Dan's beads are beauties!

Paula

AlexM
01-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Update on Mosaic Blue...Dan has been using it...in twisties and cores of his encased beads and it really is different than cobalt or ink...at least I think so...its kinda electric and brilliant...here is a set of beads that are just yummy that he made...so it is different...just not in a Mosaic way....but any set he uses it in...I can spot and I ask him and he says yup..used that new blue you have hid :D

Kaye,

Gorgeous beads!

Can you please tell me whether Dan has had any trouble with the encased mosaic blue? I love the look of encased cobalt, but it cracks so much when encased that I would love to have an alternative!

koregon
01-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Alex to be honest...Dan hasn't had a problem with any moretti color he encases...ever cracking on any...he has some that dont encase well and cause bubbles or want to creep out the ends and he throws those twisties on my side for use on the outside of beads...cobalt, ink or mosaic blue wasn't one of them, they work really well in his encased beads. As of yet...no cracks on any beads he has encased ...and he uses most all the colors at one time or another. I haven't had any problems with cracks either from encasing anything...even when I did opalinos long time ago, I still have some of those beads laying here...and no cracks. (Dan doesn't use the opalino/alabasters in his twisties thou)... So nope...not a problem.

AlexM
01-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Huhmmm.....maybe I just have a touchy batch of cobalt then. It was ok for a while, then it started cracking when I encase it. I have another couple of pounds that I ordered at a different time, so I'll have to try the other batch sometime soon. Thanks!

Kalera
01-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Kaye, tell Dan those look so much like water they make me have to pee! LOL... just kidding, but they are VERY watery, and gorgeous!

I have been playing more with Mosaic Blue tonight and think I may have spotted a reaction with silver. I'm waiting to take them out of the kiln to see if they look different from the ones I did with cobalt as a control.

dasi11
01-09-2004, 10:06 AM
I just love blue. I ordered ink blue a while back and got the blue ink blue. Last order I got the Mosaic blue. They are both the same. I think that is what happened to the blue ink blue batch. They relabeled it mosaic blue. Now if I could only get my hands on some real ink blue....... I love that purple shade everyone is getting.

Kalera
01-09-2004, 02:53 PM
EUREKA!!!!

Ho ho ho, I knew persistence would pay off! The funny thing is, it's so simple... oh, so simple... and furthermore, I thought I'd tried it before (my "Blue Mosaic" set) but either it doesn't work when you encase it or I somehow got my "bad" Ink Blu mixed up with my Mosaic Blue, because I've never seen this before. I love it! I absolutely love it! :D

OK, are you ready? No pics yet, but here it is, and when I say simple I mean SIMPLE:

Ivory base, silver leaf, Mosaic Blue. The Mosaic Blue develops a green halo, and it seems to be intensified in the presence of Dk. Aqua.

This absolutely conforms that this is a new, different color: I've been using my "bad" Ink Blu on these silvered ivory bead sets for months without a hint of this reaction. This is new, different, and GOOD! :D

Pics to come. Where that digi cam?

Lara
01-09-2004, 09:19 PM
ACK, you are teasing us. Can't wait to see the pictures.

:D

Lara

Beadazoid
01-10-2004, 04:07 PM
EUREKA!!!!
No pics yet, but here it is, and when I say simple I mean SIMPLE:

..........Ivory base, silver leaf, Mosaic Blue. The Mosaic Blue develops a green halo, and it seems to be intensified in the presence of Dk. Aqua........

...............This is new, different, and GOOD! :D

YAY! Now I MUST order some! Thanks for your diligence! Can't wait to see pix! Can you be more specific on the Dk Aqua detail?

Jeannie

Kalera
01-10-2004, 11:29 PM
GAAAAHHHH! This might have to go into the "Journal of irreproducible results"!

I spent today and yesterday trying to get the Mosaic Blue to do it again. With no success. In frustration, I dug through my "end-bin" until I found the piece with which I had managed to get the "green halo" effect, and sure enough, it did it again, just like that... but none of the remaining Mosaic Blue rods in my stock do. Nor does cobalt or ink blue, which I tried just in case I got the rods mixed up. Nor does Vetrofond Cobalt.

So... I can't figure out what the story is with this little end-piece. I have Mosaic Blue coming in my current order, so I can only cross my fingers and hope that some of it produces the same effect. Meanwhile... I'm stumped. I should have taken pictures today but I will take them tomorrow, and end the waiting! In the meantime, if anyone wants to try to accomplish this with *their* Mosaic Blue, I'd love to know if it really is the Mosaic Blue, or if I somehow got hold of a "sport" piece of glass. I want more, whatever it is!

Kalera
01-18-2004, 03:35 PM
OK, got a bit derailed by postpartum depression, but here are the pics:

The first is the "halo effect" that first caught my eye. The second is me reducing the daylights out of some Mosaic Blue, trying to get it to happen again, and the third is just plain Mosaic Blue on silver on ivory. The upshot of all of this is that I never figured out what the nubbin of glass was that gave me this effect, and I can't get it to happen again, though I've come up with some pretty cool things trying! I am wondering if I had, at some point, pulled a rod of Cobalt with Silver Blue reduction frit... that seems to be the only combination I can think of that would give me what I see there.

Gayle Harthcock
01-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Kalera - I appreciate your diligence. That halo effect is pretty nice. By the way, I am sorry to hear you have post partum depression - hope you are getting some relief from it - it is pretty nasty. I have been on antidepressants ever since I gave birth to my son - he's 16 now! "Living here better through chemicals" -- probably ought to be my motto. Hang in. My best!