PDA

View Full Version : Classic Cars

Colorfast
12-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Hello Everyone:
Colorfast here!

Hi!
I?m one of the new guys in town. Well, new to the WC. Even though I have been on the site only a few times, I certainly have been very impressed. How can you keep a lid on so much talent? You have so many talented artists on the site; it would take a while to read all the threads. As it is, I tend to miss meals when I get on-line.
Just a little about myself. I have been illustrating with the airbrush for quite some time. I bought my first airbrush in 1966. It was a Thayer & Chandler, if that gives away my age and station in life. I tried and tried to create something with the little critter, but just gave up in frustration. In ?68, I purchased my first Paasche VL airbrush, which I was able to actually use without a mess. Then in ?69, I purchased my first Paasche AB?. And now after wearing out a few of them literally, the AB has become my favorite.
I have been an Art Director for 2 manufacturing facilities over the past 30 years as well as teaching Art & Photography on the Junior College level for 10 yrs. Creating photo retouched product artwork with the airbrush for package design & print literature was the only way to go before the computer came along. At present, I am creating airbrush illustration for limited edition prints and just havin? a ball. As I always say, ?Life is short, so have fun with it.?
I wanted to send you one of my illustrations of old classic cars for starters. This one is of an old 1932 Duesenberg Model J Tourster. This was drawn in Windsor & Newton acrylics on #100 Bainbridge Board. There are 12 layers on each headlight alone, just to create the detail. The pinstripe and spokes were cut in a 1/16 & 1/32 inch strips in the frisket film. The image size overall of the art is 30 X 40 inches. This is just a peek, clip of the total artwork. Soon I?ll be able to figure out how to upload the entire piece.
Just try to understand that I am new to the Web & Chats. Then again, I guess I should be walking with a walker when I go on about retouching photographs with an airbrush, shouldn?t I? So, try to help the old newcomer out if you can. I?m still trying to understand ?hanging Chads.? It?s been a week and I still can?t find the start button on this Typewriter & TV thing. Then if you are reading this; It must mean that I have found it.
Thanks,
Colorfast

Caterwallin'
12-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Hi Colorfast, and welcome! We are all happy to have you join us! You may be surprised by some of us who have been around awhile! I'm very impressed with anyone who can operate the turbo! I tried for awhile and gave up! Don't they have special classes you have to attend in order to use a turbo? LOL! I also did not like wearing those ear muffs! I can see already that your knowledge, experience, and talent will be a great contribution to our forum!

I worked hard, but I finally managed to open your attachment! I loved it! I swear that I have seen this illustration/painting in publication somewhere!

OK, this is how I upload images, others may have ideas as well! If you use the uploader, select the file you want to upload. Then click the upload button. After a moment, some code will appear in the little window. Use your mouse to highlight the code and then use your computers Copy function (not the one on the uploader), and then paste in the window where you type your replies!

Give this a try!

Sam

Colorfast
12-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Colorfast is back:
Sam, I just received my evening class assignment and I hope you are grading me on the instructions. If I got this right, you fly into Atlanta at Dawn..... Oh well, here goes. or I guess not...... I'll try it again.
THanks Sam

kdkbrown
12-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Colorfast

Welcome to the forum. I think your experience with Airbrushing will be a nice addition to the other talented AB artists in the forum.

Waiting to see more of your work. If you are un-able to use the up loader try "attach file" located under the "Your reply" and "Options." The browse button should take you to "My pictures" on your computer.

Donna

Colorfast
12-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Colorfast.. Still no image .... I'll Try one more time.

MrFrost
12-19-2003, 12:06 PM
another thing you can try and its a little easier (possibly)
when you type a new post, theres an option to attach file : click on the browse, find the image on your computer....it gives you a list of file formats you can use. and submit it....there are file restrictions for it. so make sure you know what those are.

off the top of my head i cant recall them. someone else might know...welcome to wetcanvas, i look forward to the vast archives of knowledge and talent you will contribute here....airbrushing for me is a completely new thing. But i want to learn. :)

kdkbrown - Oops i didnt realize you told him the same thing...lol

Alan Cross
12-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi Colorfast, and welcome to Wet Canvas and the airbrush forum..! Have you tried to use the uploader its a very good tool, just make sure to copy and paste, the html into your post looking forward to seeing your work also btw you can keep your image to about 475 pixels wide so we can see it good.
Alan :)

acyaws
12-19-2003, 02:48 PM
This is as big as I could get it...It is still distorted, but it was very small to begin with. If this isnt ok with you colorfast we will get them to delete this....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2003/25705-grill.jpg

scottb
12-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Original attachment removed at the request of the poster ...

acyaws
12-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Thanks Scott, I was going to help him, but I dont have the power to do those thingys.....lol...Hugs

Penny220
12-20-2003, 08:39 AM
That little taste of the car is a tease. I want to see the whole thing. It's great!

You obviously have a lot to offer to us so I hope you stick around and post often. Do you have a website?

We promise to get you through this technology thing if you promise to keep coming back.

Penny

TarheelTerrier
12-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Welcome Colorfast! If the classic car teaser is any indication, we'll all want to see more. Don't know about the rest on this forum but it will be more than interesting to learn how you wrestled the turbine into cooperating. Just one look at the exploded view of the AB for maintenance after just becoming adept at dismantling, cleaning and rebuilding the VL as simple as it is was enough to make me pale! I will concede they are the standard bearer airbrush for the technical illustrator though.

Waiting to read and see more!
Susan

Colorfast
12-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Hello Everyone:
Colorfast here!

Hi!
Well, I think I have learned a bit about the computer in the past few days. I also think I should go back to doing what I know rather than trying to show off a piece of my artwork. I will try to send you that piece of art again and hope it makes the trip.
If I can send this successfully, I will return a little later with some more. I have been working on illustrations to be used in the creation of more limited edition prints, greeting cards, calendars & puzzles. Yes, I said puzzles. There, I said it. When you see the artwork later that I plan to use to create puzzles, you will begin to see why. Puzzles take on a different genre, when they are illustrations drawn with the airbrush.

Colorfast

* So, Here goes!

acyaws
12-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Excellent Colorfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!Fabulous!

Colorfast
12-28-2003, 05:31 AM
Colorfast Here!

I?m getting? the hang of this. After all, it?s only been a week attempting to send a little picture. This illustration consumed about a month of my time, but like I said earlier, I had only completed one car before startin? this one.
Just to tell you a bit about it. I spent a good $100.00 on frisket film in the process. That was because I didn?t know how to do it. The next car I produced was the same size as this one. It cost about $25.00 for frisket film because I learned how to replace each cut before making the next cut. That way, you just have to remember just what you have completed and what is still blank.
No, it was not really that bad. They say I have the patience of Job, but I just tell them, ?Job?s my brother.? Anyway, if I can get the whole illustration to float the web, I?ll be back to tell you all more about the AB. So in the meantime as I always say, ?Life?s short, so have fun with it.?

Have a great day.

Colorfast
12-28-2003, 05:35 AM
Colorfast,
It didn't float. Try it again

Penny220
12-28-2003, 09:40 AM
WOW

Colorfast
01-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Colorfast Here Again!
This has been a new experience for me. It has been difficult to sent the images, but I think I have got the hang of it. A BIG THANK YOU to all of you for all your help. Now I have been able to post another thread on an airbrush portrait. I will try to send a complicated HIDI (how I did it) as soon as I can complete the project.
After I learn more about posting the images, I would love to send this one finished piece that took a full eight months to complete. Every morning before I would start work, I shot a color slide of what I had completed the day before. Some shots show the frisket stilll on the board while others show just bits and pieces of the completed work. I think it would be fun to send an image every day so you all will be able to see it grow up.
Oh well, got to go before I overstay my welcome.

Colorfast
PS Thanks Again!

Colorfast
01-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Welcome Colorfast! Don't know about the rest on this forum but it will be more than interesting to learn how you wrestled the turbine into cooperating.
Waiting to read and see more!
Susan

Colorfast Here:
It seems that more folks say that about the Paasche AB and I personally don't see the problem. For me, IT has always been the VL that gave me the stopping & starting problem. Like I said earlier, I wear out the AB before I wear out the needles. Now that is to me, funny...
I'll be back later and show more of my airbrush stuff to you. I don't know if ya' had a chance to see my thread on "AB Portrait", but that is coming along, but slowly. Maybe I can get it completed over the Holiday Weekend and have it ready to post the final next week. I would really like to show a HIDI (How I Did It) on the portrait. I think the hardest part of it all is trying to explain how you go about drawing a portrait of someone that you have never met.
Thanks for responding, Susan. Come on back and see us "do our thing" on the Airbrush Forum, OK?

Dave